Welcome to the Tigers Nathan Broad | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Nathan Broad

James

Tiger Rookie
Sep 11, 2016
It’s getting pretty crowded with some very good players returning after injury and meeting at the door some pretty good developers who have been in the process of learning and who are now getting it right, and are not going to give up their spots without a fight.
Noah has his measure by a good margin.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
It’s getting pretty crowded with some very good players returning after injury and meeting at the door some pretty good developers who have been in the process of learning and who are now getting it right, and are not going to give up their spots without a fight.
Noah has his measure by a good margin.
Noah has his measure, in what way?

Broad is a key part of out defence. yes he will be dropped when form warrants is, but his ability to play and small has been so important to our backline over the last 3 years. he wont be dropped for team balance, not will be shifted up the ground on an ongoing basis.

Reactions: 4 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Noah has his measure, in what way?

Broad is a key part of out defence. yes he will be dropped when form warrants is, but his ability to play and small has been so important to our backline over the last 3 years. he wont be dropped for team balance, not will be shifted up the ground on an ongoing basis.

Yeah, have to agree Brodders. Noah may have great potential but right now he's not a premiership player who has held his spot (nearly) in the squad ever since. Broad does a job and usually does it very well.

Reactions: 1 user

James

Tiger Rookie
Sep 11, 2016
Yeah, have to agree Brodders. Noah may have great potential but right now he's not a premiership player who has held his spot (nearly) in the squad ever since. Broad does a job and usually does it very well.
We can’t go into finals to defend against the likes of Kennedy Cameron Hawkins etc with just one genuine tall in Astbury, who himself seems only half the player without his mate Alex.
Broad Grimes and Valistuin are not genuine talls and can’t be expected to succeed week in week out against much taller opponents, whose bred and butter is to mark the high ball coming in.
Given the absence of Rance, Balta is the next best thing we have to try there.
I think that will happen sooner rather than later.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
We can’t go into finals to defend against the likes of Kennedy Cameron Hawkins etc with just one genuine tall in Astbury, who himself seems only half the player without his mate Alex.
Broad Grimes and Valistuin are not genuine talls and can’t be expected to succeed week in week out against much taller opponents, whose bred and butter is to mark the high ball coming in.

Balta's only 2cm taller than Broad and Grimes. But he does have bulk and is a great leap. Interestingly Geelong have 12 players 195cm+, we only have 7 and Soldo, Chol, Miller still need to prove their ability at AFL level.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

i kind of agree. i think Balta going back to the 2s and playing in the backline the whole game is a sign they want to try him there. and yes ideally if Rance cant return Balta would take his place, but he is a long way from being a key defender at this stage. he may make giant steps over the next couple of months and that would be great, but he will need to if he wants to be part of a premiership backline.

I thought Garthwaite would have been given more of a go alongside Astbury, but they probably dont like that fit, or they wanted him to go back for a bit of confidence.

regardless if Balta, or Garth, or even Rance returns, i reckon Broad plays.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne

Agreed.

Broady IS the player who came into the side to play the important cover, shutdown role in our back half that would then allow Tigga and Rance to play loose nullifying the opposition with their intercept marking effectively changing the defence to the wall that won us a flag when our midfield was not dominant. and our defence was doing well without being the force it became.

He has played nearly every game since save for injury and being omitted once for form and once for teddy pictures.

Says a lot to me, that he keeps playing but its understandable.

I Like Nathan he aint flash but he gets it done, and more often than not is reliable on all opponents tall and small.

He's towelled up Toby Green in the Prelim, and then held Lynch in the Grand Final, Gunston multiple times and again last year in the qualifying Final, flogged Westhoff for Port, has beaten Franklin when playing on him, was one of the few that held his own against the Maggots in last years Prelim, but more importantly does alot of the unheralded stuff the heavy work, the hard running, and covering of others opponents so they can run forward ie Bash, Tigga, Short etc.

Also has a big tank is not benched regularly and thus saves rotations for the midfield another reason he is important.

The bloke is not pretty nor will he be the most polished and he does make the odd error but geez I for one am happy hes in our defence ahead of plenty of others.

He is more important to the team structure than many appreciate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
And spoilt Patton on the goal line as I recall. All of Broad, Grimes, Vlastuin, Rance can play tall or small as the moment dictates.

That is true but the RFC needs to definately get hold of a 198 cm + key defender going forward to combat the Giants that are creeping into the game.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Too many people slate Broad and see his blues but conveniently miss the quality blocks, last ditch tackles and moving the ball forward covering a lot of ground whilst doing so. A super fit player, big tank and plays to team orders for the good of the team

Reactions: 3 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Whole back line played well. Didn't have much to beat. Need them to be on the ball next week against Giants.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Yeah TF.... I wondered at the time if they were mates...... Not the first time I've seen Broady show a bit of care for an opponent.
Lotsaluv at tigerland :)