Welcome to the Tiggers - Daniel Butler | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tiggers - Daniel Butler

Don't blame the club trading butler - he was like a dear in headlights in the few appearances he had for us last year.

Credit to him for turning it around.

Reactions: 8 users
go back and read the comments about Butler's games last year. Pretty hard to find any who supported him.

Reactions: 4 users
Don't blame the club trading butler - he was like a dear in headlights in the few appearances he had for us last year.

Yep. I remember he was doing a lot of lazy little kicks off the ground avoiding picking up the ball.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone still happy to out themselves as a supporter of the Butler trade?

Yeah - I supported the decision when it had to be made in 2019.

Don't recall there being a massive support for him during the 2019 season (when he was injured and/or not getting a game)
Likewise there wasn't much outrage here when the trade possibility was discussed - nor after the deal was done.

I personally was sad to lose a Premiership "hero" but accepted it as part of footy.

Glad he's going well - as I am happy to see Brando do well again last night.

Reactions: 6 users
Yeah - I supported the decision when it had to be made in 2019.

Don't recall there being a massive support for him during the 2019 season (when he was injured and/or not getting a game)
Likewise there wasn't much outrage here when the trade possibility was discussed - nor after the deal was done.

I personally was sad to lose a Premiership "hero" but accepted it as part of footy.

Glad he's going well - as I am happy to see Brando do well again last night.

Yep, similar sentiments here for both Dan and Brando. Good on them, I reckon!

I supported the trade because at the time it seemed like a win-win. Butler's form had dropped off and his position in the team was not guaranteed.
The RFC did the right thing by him, by enabling a trade which provided Dan with more opportunity (and i suspect more money that we could offer).
Good for him that he has grasped this opportunity.

Everyone is an expert in hindsight. No one would have predicted that his form would improve like it has. Its not worth getting angsty about it.

Reactions: 7 users

I agree Harry he would go into the fetal position when he was about to be tackled instead of fighting the tackle.

Avoided contact and played scared, not a player who was showing appetite for the contest, Rioli would at least crack in hard (last year).

Reactions: 1 user

This is not about trading him, @Harry ... this about extracting fair value.

Why would you doubt he could turn it around? You saw the player he was in 2017.

Nobody seriously thinks he forgot how to football, do they? Really?

go back and read the comments about Butler's games last year. Pretty hard to find any who supported him.
C'mon Ant, you and I had a friendly tete a tete at trade time and amongst others, I was very clear that we undervalued Butler. Recent posts in this thread demonstrate there are plenty who remain very frustrated at our failure to extract fair value from his trade.

It’s *smile* ver 2.0... but don’t begrudge either for kicking on at the next club... some guys need the career fright to realise potential

Everyone is an expert in hindsight. No one would have predicted that his form would improve like it has. Its not worth getting angsty about it.
I think it is worth being stroppy about it. He's second in the Coleman! The guy we gave away for pick 56! The club has to stop doing this. If the Saints beat us in a final and Butler contributes, I will go fully troppo!

There were plenty of us gnashing our teeth at the club's failure to extract fair value for Butler at the time... no hindsight required.

Yeah we should have requested more, but our culture is about caring and looking after each other and not making it difficult for players to leave if they wish to. This has long term affects on our culture going forward.

Anyway no-one will care when performing receives his premiership medal.

Reactions: 1 users
I am a big Butler fan. I love someone who is efficient and Dan is ruthlessly efficient. I don't think there is another player in the AFL that can exploit their speed as well (both offensively and defensively). His decision making and composure near goals is stellar. When you see the replay of his goals it's like watching the Flash in slow motion . It all looks so calm and calculated although he's running at 60km an hour. He has turned Saints traditional weakness (goals per inside 50) into a strength. I think the move was great for Dan as he is actually getting recognition he didn't get while at Richmond. He is actually the best small forward in the game ATM (although Rankine will take that mantle soon).

I can understand why we made the decision as we had small forwards up the wazoo but KMac v Dan? or Naish V Dan ? ( No brainers) Maybe if Rance had pulled the in earlier we could have kept him on. The end of his VFL season last year he was kicking the outrageous goals he is now. Check out the last quarter of the Essendon final when we make up an 8 goal deficit. No Dan, no win. He has probably got the Saints an extra 8 to 12 points this season. No way they win yesterday without him. He changed momentum for them on 2 or 3 occassions. Probably three goal of the day contenders amongst his 4.

Reactions: 2 users
Bloody hell, Geezer was out of contract at the wrong time, we / he made a call.

Cant we be satisfied with what we received or do we want to be like Dudoro ?

BTW , we got Nank for pick 45 & Sydney wanted to keep him

Reactions: 3 users
I think it is worth being stroppy about it. He's second in the Coleman! The guy we gave away for pick 56! The club has to stop doing this. If the Saints beat us in a final and Butler contributes, I will go fully troppo!

There were plenty of us gnashing our teeth at the club's failure to extract fair value for Butler at the time... no hindsight required.

Swings and roundabouts. You win some, you lose some. We won in the Bachar Houli and Shaun Grigg trade. We lose in the Daniel Butler trade. We did very well out of the Deledio trade and ended up with Prestia, Nank and Caddy, all of which were significant contributors to our first flag in 30 years!

But by all means, complain away if it makes you feel better about the situation.

Reactions: 5 users
Bloody hell, Geezer was out of contract at the wrong time, we / he made a call.

Cant we be satisfied with what we received or do we want to be like Dudoro ?

BTW , we got Nank for pick 45 & Sydney wanted to keep him
Yeah, don’t get the angst. It’s all part of footy trading gamble.

you gotta know when to hold, know when to fold em.....

Reactions: 1 users

I’m kinda the opposite, I don’t have an issue with the trade, but have an issue with the how we managed his last year.

The club has said they will do what they can to aide fringe players movements easily if they need to move on. Hard to extract more value when he barely played and was out of contract. I agree he was worth more than pick 56 to us, but understand the fact other clubs didn’t line up to grab him. His deal was one of the last done in trade week with St Kilda seemingly his only suitor.

I’d rather we say thanks for your service, and move him easily for pick 50 than refuse to trade him and force him into the PSD ala Essendon and Bachar Houli.

Reactions: 4 users
I have always been a fan of Butler, and I found myself extremely frustrated last year that free passes were handed to Rioli each week, and Butlers efforts seemingly ignored.

Butler would finally break into the side for a week only to be dropped for Rioli who barely did anything of note with his VFL form. No wonder he’s playing like a man possessed. He’s got a point to prove to our selection committee.

I am firmly of the opinion that Butler did not get a level playing field with us last year, and I’m so stoked to see him given the confidence he needed to perform, instead of warming the bench for Rioli.

This is a very good post.

...and acknowledge when you've made a blue.

It's not a blue so much as well played by St Kilda.