Welcome to the Tiggers - Daniel Butler | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tiggers - Daniel Butler

I've had this bloke in the Unlikely category for a bit now. Based on his athletic profile, particularly the lack of improvement in it. If anything I'd say he's smaller now than when we drafted him. That is a disadvantage. The knee injury stymied him so could be some hidden upside.

Getting a kick is still the best indicator of football ability. As Leysy rightly points out Butler can't get one.

This is a real bad combination. Blokes who don't get much ball have to be more explosive to be effective. Butler is getting less powerful in search of stamina. Those around him are maturing and furnishing. Not the manchild Butler. Athletically he's losing ground.

I like him. He is a footballer. The flip flop hairdo of his draft year reminds me of Trent Nichols. He's got some of that. He is smart. He's thinking - you can see it.

Last week in the magoos he finally got a kick. Nothing spectacular but a reasonable ration of ball. He was deft rather than explosive. Smart enough. And he was thereabouts. Up and about. Not hiding. (At least in the second half when I saw him. Not that I think he's working hard enough yet.)

Another who is blooming under McRae's tutelage. Here's his take -

Dan Butler
19 disposals, five tackles, seven inside-50s

Played the best VFL game that I’ve seen him play. His 19 disposals as a small forward, and his intensity and tenacity to fight and win the ball back and tackle, was a real standout. He played above the level.

I'd give him a few games. Has some pace . Bring in drummond also. Lennon too. Re transform the side in 2 weeks.

Harry said:
I'd give him a few games. Has some pace . Bring in drummond also. Lennon too. Re transform the side in 2 weeks.
Castagna and Markov made a hell of a difference on the weekend in making us suddenly look fast. Only takes a couple.

Dyer'ere said:
I've had this bloke in the Unlikely category for a bit now. Based on his athletic profile, particularly the lack of improvement in it. If anything I'd say he's smaller now than when we drafted him. That is a disadvantage. The knee injury stymied him so could be some hidden upside.

Getting a kick is still the best indicator of football ability. As Leysy rightly points out Butler can't get one.

This is a real bad combination. Blokes who don't get much ball have to be more explosive to be effective. Butler is getting less powerful in search of stamina. Those around him are maturing and furnishing. Not the manchild Butler. Athletically he's losing ground.

I like him. He is a footballer. The flip flop hairdo of his draft year reminds me of Trent Nichols. He's got some of that. He is smart. He's thinking - you can see it.

Last week in the magoos he finally got a kick. Nothing spectacular but a reasonable ration of ball. He was deft rather than explosive. Smart enough. And he was thereabouts. Up and about. Not hiding. (At least in the second half when I saw him. Not that I think he's working hard enough yet.)

Another who is blooming under McRae's tutelage. Here's his take -

Dan Butler
19 disposals, five tackles, seven inside-50s

Played the best VFL game that I’ve seen him play. His 19 disposals as a small forward, and his intensity and tenacity to fight and win the ball back and tackle, was a real standout. He played above the level.

very interesting Jack. Its funny, I'd pencilled him in as a bust purely because so many from the last 2 drafts are looking good, law of averages. McKenzie gone due to illness. Broad looks shaky to me (and surprise surprise, a muture-age state leaguer). Appears there's life in Butler yet.

I remember seeing Butler in the first pre season game v Bulldogs last year at Whitten. Looked very impressive then. Since, I have seen him at VFL level a few times and have been unimpressed.

Could it be the case that he is one of those guys better suited to a better quality standard? Either way, he needs a few games in the seniors before we make a call, surely. That is what these 'unsuccessful' seasons should be used for.

Dan's problem was that he wouldn't compete or attack the contest. Like many juniors he was just spectating. Finally after a kick up the bum he has got his act together. These VFL bye rounds are very annoying!!

Maybe better suited to a faster game plan, no coincidence that the game plan was a lot faster last week and he starts to shine.

tigersnake said:
very interesting Jack. Its funny, I'd pencilled him in as a bust purely because so many from the last 2 drafts are looking good, law of averages. McKenzie gone due to illness. Broad looks shaky to me (and surprise surprise, a muture-age state leaguer). Appears there's life in Butler yet.

He's stagnated again, snake. The big pot on him is BWA. This is what McRae said about him last week -

Daniel Butler
11 disposals, one goal, six contested possessions

Only one tackle to go with his 11 disposals, but his pressure and intensity around the contest, and his GPS (numbers) were through the roof. He’s certainly running on top of the ground and performing really consistently of late.

Butler is everywhere but he can't get the ball or lay a tackle.

Dyer'ere said:
He's stagnated again, snake. The big pot on him is BWA. This is what McRae said about him last week -

Daniel Butler
11 disposals, one goal, six contested possessions

Only one tackle to go with his 11 disposals, but his pressure and intensity around the contest, and his GPS (numbers) were through the roof. He’s certainly running on top of the ground and performing really consistently of late.

Butler is everywhere but he can't get the ball or lay a tackle.
The one thing I liked the other day was how he was taking the game on, trying to burst from packs, *smile* his quick , however I'd move him on, can't see him been anything more then a fringie at best , no point giving another year when we can ad another kid to the list.

CC TIGER said:
The one thing I liked the other day was how he was taking the game on, trying to burst from packs, sh!t his quick , however I'd move him on, can't see him been anything more then a fringie at best , no point giving another year when we can ad another kid to the list.

His endeavour and effort are now first rate, CC. Credit to player and coach. :clap

CC TIGER said:
The one thing I liked the other day was how he was taking the game on, trying to burst from packs, sh!t his quick , however I'd move him on, can't see him been anything more then a fringie at best , no point giving another year when we can ad another kid to the list.

Indeed. With Rioli showing that he has the role locked in for the next decade, we can be more ruthless with any one under him providing depth.

I wouldn't waste a draft pick on that role this year, I'd be using a spot on the rookie list.

Dan got named an emergency this week. He's worked hard enough for the recognition even if he hasn't put the score on the board yet. He'll get the trip away with the ones.

Maybe he'll get another chance. He does contribute to the buzz in the magoos. To the ethos. I've grown to like him.

Dyer'ere said:
Dan got named an emergency this week. He's worked hard enough for the recognition even if he hasn't put the score on the board yet. He'll get the trip away with the ones.

Maybe he'll get another chance. He does contribute to the buzz in the magoos. To the ethos. I've grown to like him.
I think his a 50/50 to stay Jack, you know my thoughts.

I assume we will be delisting tomorrow? If he is worth keeping with on surely we could pick him up as a rookie.