Welcome to the Tiggers - Daniel Butler | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tiggers - Daniel Butler

glenn downing said:
Hard to understand how he can go from 11 tackles one week to absolutely zero tackles the very next week. Seems to lack hunger and determination in the way he plays most of the time.

Jake Aarts is surely worth a go now ahead of Butler. Aarts will be very hungry for the opportunity to play senior football.

He has fallen off the cliff. I rather gives Farts a go too.

zippadeee said:

So you reckon release Farts, Zips? But has he got the gas for a game at AFL level?

zippadeee said:

Does Farts belong with the 2s?
I hope he pushes through the barrier soon.
It will be a huge relief because it’s giving me the sh#ts.

I'll go against the grain here.
All our small forwards are struggling. Butler Rioli Castagna Higgins.
Low numbers for tackles, goals.
You name and its not working. Front and centre collects. Running into open 50 for goals. Locking the ball in the f50.
The changed rules for kicking out after points has really screwed it, far more so than 666.
But it also doesnt appear that our small forwards are getting dangerous or hunting down defenders.
And we are not running over teams in the last quarter, as we are now younger with less endurance than the opposition.

Blaming Butler is misguided. We've lost 3 in a row but its not due to this man. We win the midfield contest and resolve the forward line structure and all the small forwards will excel.

And its funny how quick posters have been to highlight his zero tackle count. Last week he had 11 tackles, but posters complained this was only because he was 2nd to the ball. Seems like we have a new fall guy to yell at

tigerdell said:
I'll go against the grain here.
All our small forwards are struggling. Butler Rioli Castagna Higgins.
Low numbers for tackles, goals.
You name and its not working. Front and centre collects. Running into open 50 for goals. Locking the ball in the f50.
The changed rules for kicking out after points has really screwed it, far more so than 666.
But it also doesnt appear that our small forwards are getting dangerous or hunting down defenders.
And we are not running over teams in the last quarter, as we are now younger with less endurance than the opposition.

Blaming Butler is misguided. We've lost 3 in a row but its not due to this man. We win the midfield contest and resolve the forward line structure and all the small forwards will excel.

And its funny how quick posters have been to highlight his zero tackle count. Last week he had 11 tackles, but posters complained this was only because he was 2nd to the ball. Seems like we have a new fall guy to yell at

No problem with different views but not just for the sake of contrarian debate, or going against the grain as you put it.
Of course Butler wasn’t the sole cause of us losing the game.
But swap his aerobic capacity for the infinitely more talented Bolton and you get genuine smile and smarts up forward which translates onto the scoreboard.
Butler’s timidity, lack of confidence and overall lack of impact must be disheartening for all the others at the coal face busting their ass to get the ball in forward.
When you also consider Rioli is down, Higgo is completely out of form, and we are carrying some other underachievers like Caddy and co, it makes the non-selection of Shai puzzlingly, and costly.
I think match committee are either penalising Shai for something, or trying to teach him a lesson, or overthinking team selection to a degree that might have cost us on Thursday.
Of course Butler isn’t the sole cause but he is one of many non contributors at present, and not in my best 22 going forward.
He has un-Richmond man type-traits.

I suggest that there is a growing level of frustration with many RFC supporters that Butler, Higgins, Rioli & Castagna should each be playing significantly better football and contributing much better to the team performance. Probably the main part of the frustration is that there does not appear to be any clear reason(s) why these players have dropped away so much, particularly Higgins.

For me, there is also frustration that Hardwick and the other coaches appear on the face of it to tolerate a fair degree of mediocrity from these players (and a few other players). Hardwick has given the impression over the last few years that he is more like a mate/pal to many of the players than an authority figure. I would really love to know what expectations Hardwick has set of these players (and a few other players) and what open and honest feedback (if any) he gives to these players and others and how often he gives open and honest feedback (if any).

17 said:
Of course Butler wasn’t the sole cause of us losing the game.
But swap his aerobic capacity for the infinitely more talented Bolton and you get genuine smile and smarts up forward which translates onto the scoreboard.

I am not sure that this is right either. Like the 11 tackle Butler and the zero tackle Butler, Bolton is cut from the same dual colour cloth. Will we get the home town hero Bolton or the one that got dropped after two weeks of very little impact? George is similar. The truth is that at their best they all deserve a game and at their worst, which is not surprising with a poor ruck/midfield atm, they all deserve the vfl. If any of Rioli, Higgins, Butler, Baker, Bolton and Castagna can consistently impact then they are in. Of course consistency is the curse of the small forward, particularly so when you are getting crushed in the middle.

There is no right answer all you can do is keep spinning the wheel and changing up the players until one is able to step it up a level and hold it.

glenn downing said:
I suggest that there is a growing level of frustration with many RFC supporters that Butler, Higgins, Rioli & Castagna should each be playing significantly better football and contributing much better to the team performance. Probably the main part of the frustration is that there does not appear to be any clear reason(s) why these players have dropped away so much, particularly Higgins.
Very clear n obvious reason as to why these players performances have dropped away. Reiwoldt, Rance, Cotchin, Nankervis, Lambert, Edwards, Grigg, ( plus a few other intermittent list disruptions ).

There's a large list of Talent, Experience, Leadership been ripped out of the side this year. Second n third tier players or even shiny new youngsters are capable of stepping up n filling a gap at times but they don't have the sheer ability or experience to do it for sustained periods of time. The talent differential and work load coming back down on the players is grinding them down.

Brettstigers said:
The truth is that at their best they all deserve a game and at their worst, which is not surprising with a poor ruck/midfield atm, they all deserve the vfl.

No, the truth is that Bolton’s ceiling is light years above Butlers (and others).
They can’t all get a game and at the moment we are carrying a lot of underperforming players while Bolton stews in the 2’s.

Butler is a good player BUT like all our forward will be much betterwhen Jack gets back , trust it ..