Welcome to the Tiggers - Daniel Butler | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tiggers - Daniel Butler

You could throw a blanket over the 4 small forward not performing (Butler, Rioli, Castagna & Higgins). The challenge for the selectors when we start to get our leaders back in the team after the bye is do they trust history and hope it all clicks again or do they simply go on form and drop the worst performers and make room for a player like Bolton. If they go with the latter plan I think it's Higgins and Butler who will go (Rioli and George will be on thin ice). Third option is they all get dropped but that is highly unlikely. IMO Butler will come good again, he's a very talented player and will work his way through his slump. Higgins, is having a bit of the 2nd year blues and feeling the pinch of not having the leaders around him. Confidence is a very fragile thing - look at Caddy, he was bursting with it in 2017 and 2018 but this year looks a shadow of that player.

To me any player playing at AFL level who fumbles needs a reality check. Higgins and Butler are smalls if they don't handle the ball clean they must go out. No excuses.

glenn downing said:
I suggest that there is a growing level of frustration with many RFC supporters that Butler, Higgins, Rioli & Castagna should each be playing significantly better football and contributing much better to the team performance. Probably the main part of the frustration is that there does not appear to be any clear reason(s) why these players have dropped away so much, particularly Higgins.

For me, there is also frustration that Hardwick and the other coaches appear on the face of it to tolerate a fair degree of mediocrity from these players (and a few other players). Hardwick has given the impression over the last few years that he is more like a mate/pal to many of the players than an authority figure. I would really love to know what expectations Hardwick has set of these players (and a few other players) and what open and honest feedback (if any) he gives to these players and others and how often he gives open and honest feedback (if any).

Hardwick gives us the impression that he is now a nice guy all the time, but his recent public dressing down of young Sydney Stack when he turned up late for training should give you a clue that behind closed doors Dimma wouldn't be afraid of delivering criticism directly

Butler is limited. His main strength is his pace which he doesn't even use. His composure and decision making are average at best. He can't scrap when things aren't going our way.

Reactions: 1 user
17 said:
No problem with different views but not just for the sake of contrarian debate, or going against the grain as you put it.
For sure 17, there is enough contrarianism here without me! Simply trying to balance out the mob mentality that like a good whipping boy.

I can see why Bolton was dropped, and am excited that he played midfield in the 2s.

I respect your opinion on how Butler is playing at the moment.
I'll say that 11tackles against the cats is good. But we need all our forwards to perform and its just not happening for any of them

So the cyber world is saying Butler will be off to the bLues in exchange for Matt Kennedy, I don’t know if there is any merit in this at all, except Blues want pressure small forwards an we have a few and we bid on Kennedy in the 2015 draft, so it’s not hard to make this *smile* up.

So the cyber world is saying Butler will be off to the bLues in exchange for Matt Kennedy, I don’t know if there is any merit in this at all, except Blues want pressure small forwards an we have a few and we bid on Kennedy in the 2015 draft, so it’s not hard to make this **** up.

Butler to the Blues makes sense, but based on what Kennedy has shown at AFL can't see why we would be interested. Slow, injury prone, and recently shifted forward. Wouldn't play in our midfield and definitely wouldn't play in our forward line.

Butler to the Blues makes sense, but based on what Kennedy has shown at AFL can't see why we would be interested. Slow, injury prone, and recently shifted forward. Wouldn't play in our midfield and definitely wouldn't play in our forward line.
I’d be happy with a pick in the 30s to 40s for Butler

Butlers gone. a late 2nd round pick would do nicely and the blouse might pay that ..

Have we traded with Carlton since the yarran trade? I can't imagine we would roll over for them

Reactions: 2 users
From what I can see of the reports Butler isn't lighting it up in the VFL. Ok but not dominating. Not the sort of form that demands a promotion.

Kennedy can’t get a gig in the Blues midfield! No way he comes to Richmond.

Reactions: 1 user
Butleers value will only drop from here might as well move him on, he is not required Stack, Shai and Baker are all better options.

Bizarre to say that of a premiership player but this aside has changed this year again out of necessity and Butler isn't in the frame the way he plays.

we're looking in the wrong direction. the first team that comes to mind that is short of pressure forwards is GWS. They might be willing to pay more.