Welcome to Tiger land Riley Collier’Dawkins | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tiger land Riley Collier’Dawkins

tiger3000

Tiger Cub
Apr 11, 2011
I think he's done. But gee theres not really much happening in the 2018 draft after his pick. Should have traded the pick

Reactions: 1 user

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Not beyond the realms of possibility that he’s still on the list next year.

Cotchin, Reiwoldt, Lambert and Edwards retire. You’ve then got the likes of Aarts, Parker, Martyn and RCD next in line for delistment. That’s eight players before we even factor in any possible trades or look to make any moderately difficult calls like Miller, Dow, Ross, Castagna and Stack.

Club wasn’t aggressive enough turning over the list in its premiership years And will now be forced to carry plenty of players beyond their time.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I didn’t mind the pick at the time. He showed a few qualities that were exciting ie big body, quick over the first 5 metres etc. There was, and it’s been proven to be the case, bugger all after pick 20 anyway.

He was inconsistent I thought (and a few people from the Oakleigh Chargers told me as much) and a poor kick at times, but I thought we could work on his consistency.

We haven’t been able to. Time to move on.
I had a look at the 2018 draft. He was pick 20 and it's fair to say there is not much that went behind him as far as midfielders go. But there are a few:

James Rowbottom, Tom Sparrow, Justin McInerney and Lachie *smile* are all clearly better players and have much better careers than RCD. Rowbottom would have been very handy for us. But there's not much else; a very thin draft.

So the selection is probably not as bad as it looks. Is it development? I don't know. I think it's probably more on the player himself; doesn't look like he has what it takes to make it.

Punt n Brunton

Tiger Purist
Sep 17, 2003
There was always questions on his endurance and fitness base when he was drafted. The biggest surprise it that it hasn't improved over the years.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
I had a look at the 2018 draft. He was pick 20 and it's fair to say there is not much that went behind him as far as midfielders go. But there are a few:

James Rowbottom, Tom Sparrow, Justin McInerney and Lachie *smile* are all clearly better players and have much better careers than RCD. Rowbottom would have been very handy for us. But there's not much else; a very thin draft.

So the selection is probably not as bad as it looks. Is it development? I don't know. I think it's probably more on the player himself; doesn't look like he has what it takes to make it.
Pretty sure he got the sulks in his first year, that he didn't play seniors, and he has hardly looked interested since, other than brief glimpses.
He was pretty good in a VFL Grand final, and many thought the penny may have dropped, but I'm not sure he really wants it bad enough to fight for it.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Pretty sure he got the sulks in his first year, that he didn't play seniors, and he has hardly looked interested since, other than brief glimpses.
He was pretty good in a VFL Grand final, and many thought the penny may have dropped, but I'm not sure he really wants it bad enough to fight for it.
Yep good summary. He did play very well in that VFL GF. Marlion won the medal but I thought RCD was close to best player. It was a good sign.

But he hasn't gone on with it and it looks like he doesn't want it enough.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Club wasn’t aggressive enough turning over the list in its premiership years And will now be forced to carry plenty of players beyond their time.
Strongly disagree. One key ingredient of a dynasty is sticking by your players, that get you the flags, but also leads to the inevitable dip or crash. Its inevitable, always has been, and now its legislated and guaranteed by the equalisation policies.

Managing the inevitable dip or crash is the task at hand.

One of the things that interest me over the years reading PRE is gauging the poster consensus and comparing that with club action. PRE consensus can be pretty on the money at times, and there has been some ripper big debates over the years, trade or keep Otto, sack or keep Dimma. I don't think there were very many posters demanding we cut harder, I can't remember any, in fact I remember the consensus was more like apart from 1 or 2, we'll struggle to find any to cut.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Strongly disagree. One key ingredient of a dynasty is sticking by your players, that get you the flags, but also leads to the inevitable dip or crash. Its inevitable, always has been, and now its legislated and guaranteed by the equalisation policies.

One of the things that interest me over the years reading PRE is gauging the poster consensus and comparing that with club action. PRE consensus can be pretty on the money at times, and there has been some ripper big debates over the years, trade or keep Otto, sack or keep Dimma. I don't think there were very many posters demanding we cut harder, I can't remember any, in fact I remember the consensus was more like apart from 1 or 2, we'll struggle to find any to cut.
Wasn’t referring to any of our premiership players, more those ranked 30+ on our list who were given longer than they should have to prove they weren’t up to it. Players like Garthwaite (5 years), Chol (6 years), Miller (5 years and counting), RCD (4 years and counting). At the end of 2020 we only took two players in the draft! That just wasn’t enough.

There was plenty of scope to remain loyal to premiership players while still turning over the list. We didn’t and are now in the position of having to retain player we really shouldn’t.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Wasn’t referring to any of our premiership players, more those ranked 30+ on our list who were given longer than they should have to prove they weren’t up to it. Players like Garthwaite (5 years), Chol (6 years), Miller (5 years and counting), RCD (4 years and counting). At the end of 2020 we only took two players in the draft! That just wasn’t enough.

There was plenty of scope to remain loyal to premiership players while still turning over the list. We didn’t and are now in the position of having to retain player we really shouldn’t.
Definitely not plenty of scope. You've named 4 players there, Garth and Chol gave us critical cover during heavy injury periods in flag years, and Chol tended to show enough often enough to keep his place, and that is backed up by GC poaching him. Agree on RCD and Miller, especially RCD, but you can't win 'em all and/or get 'em all right.

Again I just don't agree. There are legitimate reasons why we are in the posi we're in, I think we handled it well within that context. We've did the opposite of what a falling dynasty tends to do and go heavy into the draft last year.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

Hate to bring up the massive outlier, but that Geelol mob has somehow fair butt *smile* the equalisation policies over the last twenty years. Bastards just keep contending year after year n the cliff never seems to get any closer.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Hate to bring up the massive outlier, but that Geelol mob has somehow fair butt *smile* the equalisation policies over the last twenty years. Bastards just keep contending year after year n the cliff never seems to get any closer.
True, the big BUT is they haven't won a flag doing it though.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
He’ll go to the Bummers
Or Maggots.

One of the RFC connections might make a play for him.

I'll say the Maggots as Fly has a relationship with him.

Outside of those 2 clubs I dont see anyone looking at him to be honest.

Maybe Norrf maybe we can trade him there, or use him as steak knives in a trade to get an established player in.

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
Geelong seem to top up or recruit strong bodies and play the Free agency to a A+ standard. Very few skinny runts in the pussy den

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
It is coming mark my words.

Fatkins and Cameron are the only reason they are still contending.

De Koning aside there really doesn't seem to be any quality amongst their juniors, especially through the middle.

They are still fully reliant upon Guthrie, Menegola and Duncan, and they are all 30 odd, not withstanding Cheatwood and Dangerflog being even older.

Hence they are after Tanner Bruhn, and he's gonna be carrying a heavy burden if he goes there for a few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
They are well coached, organized and a disciplined operation but have also had some luck too. Recruited Selwood and Hawkins (FS btw) in 2006 Then won the premiership the following year. That would be like us recruiting Cotchin and Reiwoldt in 2016. Then had Dangerfield request a move there as a free agent. Ended up trading for him but still, he was arguably the best player in the comp at the time of the move. Again, it would be like a prime Martin requesting a trade to us after we won three flags. Throw in a significant home ground advantage worth at least two wins a year (difference between top 8 and top 4 or finals and no final) and a willingness to trade out picks for players and you’ve got yourself some sustained success. I still think the cliff is coming but it’s like trying to call the peak of the property market, we’ve all gone broke waiting for it to happen.

Anyway, back on topic. RCD has become the AFL version of what he was in u18s. A big bodied, midfielder that is good (not great) at clearances but struggles to involve himself in general play. Can see what the club saw in him and considering the position we were in at the time the risk was worth it. Hasn’t panned out though and it’s time to cut our losses but we may not be able to do that just yet.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
True, the big BUT is they haven't won a flag doing it though.
Thankfully we've managed to get in their way a few times over recent years n Hawforn were also a massive power house there for a few years as well. Bastards keep presenting come finals time n banging on the premiership window, they could just as easily have had a six or seven flag era these last 20 years n that'd suck big time.
Hoping that we can find the way to follow a similar pathway n keep contending while maybe pinching another one or two along the way.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
RCD hasn't progressed under Morris which is not surprising as Morris is no development coach and that is our biggest problem right now, no one has the ability to develop our kids. Until we get in a good VFL coach our kids will stay kids and get demoralised into moving on or giving up.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
RCD hasn't progressed under Morris which is not surprising as Morris is no development coach and that is our biggest problem right now, no one has the ability to develop our kids. Until we get in a good VFL coach our kids will stay kids and get demoralised into moving on or giving up.
The biggest issue how fked the VFL program is.
Playing across 3 states. Massive mistake
Byes are unnecessary
And reserves Playing on different days to seniors.
The VFL needs to be overhauled again.
You play a reserves game against the team your Playing in the seniors.
They have had 2 years off and this year's fixture has been horrendous.
The senior coach needs to be at the games