Welcome to Tigerland Jacob Bauer | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigerland Jacob Bauer

angle ankle

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2020
If we don't give him a chance when we have no forwards then we will never know. Jack needs a rest, Marlion is not full forward and nor is Cotch
if we are being respectful to the playing list, jack needs to be dropped

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Bauer doesn't enter calculations for a debut until we change the way we deliver inside 50. If people expect he'll come in and start taking overhead contested pack marks and sitting on guys shoulders, the kid may as well pack his bags and leave now. Our forward 50 entries are deplorable. Maybe he asked to be moved to defence! I wouldn't blame him.
How about as a high forward, we need someone to get up the ground a bit and take a grab.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Punt n Brunton

Tiger Purist
Sep 17, 2003
How about as a high forward, we need someone to get up the ground a bit and take a grab.
I just want to see something different than the same ol' same ol' dished up this season. Call me old fashioned, but I still love to see spearing passes to a forward on a lead inside 50. But in modern footy, you need to have quick ball movement through the middle to get away with it, and secondly, decent foot skills to execute said pass!

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I just want to see something different than the same ol' same ol' dished up this season. Call me old fashioned, but I still love to see spearing passes to a forward on a lead inside 50. But in modern footy, you need to have quick ball movement through the middle to get away with it, and secondly, decent foot skills to execute said pass!
Agree.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
We have to give this kid a go as a forward as he has to be better that what we have now so we have nothing to lose
They have tottaly bent this kid over. Recuit him midyear as a forward. 12 months later yet to debut and now playing in the backline.
Absolutely shocking selection and development is abysmal.
Nothing against the kid either.
We haven't had any decent kids come through since McCrae was our 2's coach.

TheCan

Tiger Superstar
Jul 17, 2011
Forward line
Definitely need to snag himmelberg as the moneyballer then draft best available with our draft hand.
Doubt we can grab a elite KPF at 21-23

Reactions: 1 user

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Forward line
Definitely need to snag himmelberg as the moneyballer then draft best available with our draft hand.
Doubt we can grab a elite KPF at 21-23
It makes me angry that we have pissed top notch picks down the drain on duds like Higgins Ellis x2 Collier Dawkins etc then you see clubs like nth and Hawthorn select Mitch Lewis and larkey with late picks.
Our blokes are useless.
Seriously. If they use a 1st rounder he disappears 3 yrs later and the late picks are on marshmallow types.
Ralphsmith Miller Sampson.
Can we just draft kids that have highlights of nice kicking ability and they go in and win there own ball.
How fken hard is it??
They could listen to the 2 pigeons on the AFL site and they could help them select a kid.
They have put us in this position..

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users

code yellow and black

Tiger Rookie
Sep 21, 2014
Have said it before, he plays his best footy as a backman. What is wrong with that? Hasn’t quite managed to put it all together as a forward. Could provide something different to our backline with his leap and agility. Intercept marker and has been using the ball really well at VFL level. Broad, vlastuin, grime getting old.

Needs to get bigger/stronger if he is to make it as a forward.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
PionHis last 5 games as a forward he kicked (from most recent (round 2 this year)):

That's 14.9 at nearly 3 goals a game.

Can't think how he could put it together even more?
revenge of the nerds GIF

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Jack's heart is still there but his body is crying enough is enough. If they play him every other match he will manage but without lynch he is carrying the whole forward load and it is taking its toll
True but colossal understatement.

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
One thing, when Jack is getting beaten, and there is no Lynch and he gets the best opposition player, he must sacrifice his game.
He should lead to one pocket and drag his man with him. the players to ignore him & have the option to kick to a fairer contest.
Yesterday, Jack was beaten hands down and we kept kicking it to him. Without Lynch, we can't afford to continue with this strategy.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
His last 5 games as a forward he kicked (from most recent (round 2 this year)):

That's 14.9 at nearly 3 goals a game.

Can't think how he could put it together even more?
The 2 games he played up forward this year were against the Bullants and Coburg- they are both a long way off AFL standard.
Bauer had a combined 15 disposals in those 2 games, and kicked the same amount of goals as Bradkte.- even Miller kicked 2 in rd 1.

his last 2 games last year were against Frankston and the Bullants, again both a long way off AFL standard.

i reckon an "AFL standard" forward would want to be doing a bit more.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Bradtke is tall, mobile and may make a senior player. Maybe even a forward. He much bigger and even just back from injury much more active than Bauer.

Bauer forward would be playing the same role as Cumberland. Cumberland is a cusp AFL player. Bauer is miles behind him. Therefore Bauer is miles behind cusp AFL #3 forward.

RFC knows all this. We measure. We benchmark. So we moved Bauer back to give him a chance to level up to AFL. All of this is logical and good.

Here are Morro's notes after last VFL round -

Jacob Bauer (12 disposals, five rebound-50s, three marks)

"Jacob's contest work is as good as we have at the Club, but I'd love to see him give himself more opportunities to compete in those contests. But, he equally had some super aerial contests in which he was able to nullify."

He seems to be saying that he's not working hard enough. (That's not what he says about Bradtke.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Recruited as forward was showing good signs and we try to make him as a forward puzzling. Our development has been poor Biggie how long at the club still don't know his position , Sonsie being tried on the wing. Develop players to the strengths not rocket science.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I think they put him down back basically because our midfield was not capable of getting enough ball into the forward line (Morro says as much).
He did play as a back for the Swans (?) VFL before going to SANFL. So are those people saying we recruited him as a KPF and therefore should be played up forward only, happy to waste the pick if he's not good enough? Or would they be happier if we find a player who can make AFL level regardless of what position that is?
Yes I know we're dying to get a talented KPF, but given the disadvantage of getting later picks for so long, I feel we have to make every pick a good one to stay competitive.

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Bradtke is tall, mobile and may make a senior player. Maybe even a forward. He much bigger and even just back from injury much more active than Bauer.

Bauer forward would be playing the same role as Cumberland. Cumberland is a cusp AFL player. Bauer is miles behind him. Therefore Bauer is miles behind cusp AFL #3 forward.

RFC knows all this. We measure. We benchmark. So we moved Bauer back to give him a chance to level up to AFL. All of this is logical and good.

Here are Morro's notes after last VFL round -

Jacob Bauer (12 disposals, five rebound-50s, three marks)

"Jacob's contest work is as good as we have at the Club, but I'd love to see him give himself more opportunities to compete in those contests. But, he equally had some super aerial contests in which he was able to nullify."

He seems to be saying that he's not working hard enough. (That's not what he says about Bradtke.)
Dimma has said Bauer "is a better on field player than trainer" essentially meaning he is lazy but talented and can play. I think the only way to know for sure is just to play him, nothing to lose at this point.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Develop players to the strengths not rocket science.
Have you considered maybe they are doing this? Maybe they think his strengths are best suited to the backline? So rather than leave him forward in the hope that a 2goal/10 disposal-a-game VFL forward can somehow thrive at AFL cos we lack depth in that area, they are actually playing him to his strengths to give him the best chance to make the grade?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users