Goodbye Mabior Chol | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goodbye Mabior Chol

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I think it’s just the two of us backing him in. From what I saw today he is the exact player we need.
He dominated today at every area of the ground.
Which he has done at VFL level many times. Is a great VFL player. He was woeful in 2020 at AFL level but it was a challenging year psychologically. It will be interesting to see whether he's given another chance. If not, his contract expires this year so doubtful he would remain on the list after 5 years. Personally I feel the Tigers have settled on developing CCJ as next off the cab rank.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Reckon I wouldn't mind seeing Cholly get another couple of games at seniors level, one last look to see if he can permanently elevate to the top game n stay there. He always looks very laconic out on the field, it's a terrible look when things aren't quite working out during a game and others appear to be going 100 m.p.h. while not actually playing any better. Yet when the big Cholly two phones is on song he purrs along like a big Rolls Royce limo in a street full of VeeWee beetles.

Reactions: 3 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I think it’s just the two of us backing him in. From what I saw today he is the exact player we need.
He dominated today at every area of the ground.
What a talent he is hey SA , I’ve written him off as I think he lacks the “want” AFL big man must have, however geez I think I’d like to see him just have a couple more games , just to see . Though he played well yesterday , showed everything you’d want to see , however it was as an insipid game of ressies footy I’ve seen

Reactions: 1 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
A few people in this thread need to revisit some of Chol’s games from last season to remind themselves of what he is capable of.

Just because he beat up on some third rate opposition in the VFL yesterday doesn’t make him worthy of promotion. If you want a real guide to his VFL form go and look at his game against Werribee a few weeks ago. 6 disposals, 1 mark, 6 hitouts, 1 goal. A very Chol like performance.

Honestly I’d rather go in one short than play Chol again.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Had just about given up on Mabs, but have really liked his last few VFL games. Both he and CCJ are pushing hard for a game, have gone from thinking CJ should get first crack at it, to being fifty fifty on who it should be.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
I've been a critic of his lack of effort and have seen the penny drop one week and then the next week he goes completely missing – at VFL.

But one thing I've noticed with Chol this year is that he looks like he's developing that 'power gut' that the big guys like Buddy and the power mids like Dusty have that enables them to walk through tackles.

He's just the right age to make it, I'm not sure what position as Nank is a clear number 1, but he's such a tease.

I still trust CJ's application and smarts over 4 quarters over Cholly at this stage. CJ could have kicked 8 yesterday, even with time spent in the ruck.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
What a talent he is hey SA , I’ve written him off as I think he lacks the “want” AFL big man must have, however geez I think I’d like to see him just have a couple more games , just to see . Though he played well yesterday , showed everything you’d want to see , however it was as an insipid game of ressies footy I’ve seen
Insipid game? Sounds like no competition at all for our big men.
2 weeks in a row its been one sided and lacklustre. Both teams coming from the neafl not vfl
We need a closer fought game to give a better guide

Reactions: 2 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Insipid game? Sounds like no competition at all for our big men.
2 weeks in a row its been one sided and lacklustre. Both teams coming from the neafl not vfl
We need a closer fought game to give a better guide
Yep was just a very lack lustre game I thought

Reactions: 1 user

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
How many times does Cholly have to show he’s not up to it at AFL level? 21 games over 6 seasons now!

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
How many times does Cholly have to show he’s not up to it at AFL level? 21 games over 6 seasons now!
Got 1 game in 2016, nil in 2017 / 2018. Played 20 games during 2019 / 2020 played some very good footy at times during those last two years and also some bloody inept n insignificant footy.
He's still just 24 years old and has shown enough at times during games that he'd be a very handy third forward / back up ruck. Talent he's got, consistency of effort and input into games is where the problem lies. While he's still on the list, why not throw a senior game or two into him this year and let him decide his own future by what he brings to the game. There's still room for 6 to 8 years at senior level if he grabs it, or he's a bust at seasons end.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Which he has done at VFL level many times. Is a great VFL player. He was woeful in 2020 at AFL level but it was a challenging year psychologically. It will be interesting to see whether he's given another chance. If not, his contract expires this year so doubtful he would remain on the list after 5 years. Personally I feel the Tigers have settled on developing CCJ as next off the cab rank.
Woeful? Far from it. Played a crucial role once Soldo went out injured. The only game he failed was is in the qualifying final where he had to fill in for Lynch.

People need to remember he ain’t a key forward. He is a ruck first who has the ability to push forward. Not many clubs have a ‘third’ defender to handle his athleticism.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
He is frustrating, but I still like Cholly in the 1sts. Our only real x-factor ATM.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Put aside the game quality yesterday he was doing everything you want from a big man. Competed well in the air and at ground level but got up and down the ground. His work rate was AFL quality.

Reactions: 6 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I would rather Chol any day of the week than Astbury in the ruck. At least Chol can get off the ground. Astbury looked like he had his boots nailed to the ground.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Much as Chol has been unreliable and has been found wanting too often, the thing about Chol is that you can pick him as a tall who can ruck and mark, but the cost in terms of speed and ground ball competitiveness is less than with most talls. He can run fast and an gather a ground ball. You put CCJ in and you lose speed and ground ball gathering, you put Chol in and the cost is lower.

I'm still not sold on Chol, but he is only 24 and the unique attributes are very attractive.

At the moment I would say Chol has had many chances, yes, give him a couple more chances but CCJ would be higher on my list of players who need to be tried in the seniors.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Put aside the game quality yesterday he was doing everything you want from a big man. Competed well in the air and at ground level but got up and down the ground. His work rate was AFL quality.
Is he showing greater appetite for physicality than last year? Will he stand under the ball against three opponents, or only compete if he can get a run at it?

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Is he showing greater appetite for physicality than last year? Will he stand under the ball against three opponents, or only compete if he can get a run at it?
I saw him drop back in the hole a couple of times down back and take the mark. Signs were good.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Chol played some excellent games last year. Same in 2019. The problem is he tapers off, seems to lose confidence and can be timid.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Woeful? Far from it. Played a crucial role once Soldo went out injured. The only game he failed was is in the qualifying final where he had to fill in for Lynch.

People need to remember he ain’t a key forward. He is a ruck first who has the ability to push forward. Not many clubs have a ‘third’ defender to handle his athleticism.
No sorry imo he was woeful. That's why he was dropped after Round 13. Was given a reprieve round 18 because by that time CCJ was suspended. Not great that game and qualifying. By that stage he wasn't even jumping in the ruck or chasing. He completely dropped his head, cracked the sads as they say. It was actually sad to see because he was given and had the opportunity to play and win a grand final. Anyhow that's history. Hasn't played a round this year which I think supports the Tigers loss of faith in him. Hopefully he'll get another opportunity but I firmly believe CCJ is earmarked to be given the next opportunity ahead of Chol so not sure where that will leave him at the end of the year.

1621749208046.png

Reactions: 6 users