Welcome to Tigerland - Tim Taranto | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigerland - Tim Taranto

Timmy had a very good 2023. He was sound for most of the season, a bit lame late and produced vintage Taranto. His goal kicking accuracy was career-high. And RFC used him near goal at times.

Taranto's quick ball use is nothing special. His quick give at CB doesn't tear the game open. He's ok. He was less GWS ring-a-rosy over-use but not often insightful.

We knew who we had recruited and no doubt had plans to level him up. That went pearshaped when the coach walked out on the club in Round Whatever. Taranto was terrific but did not level up.

Our man is not slow. 3.0/20m IIRC. But he aint quick either. To break out of CB we need him to use it incisively by hand. And the new coach must have plans for Taranto's field kicking. It's not necessarily about finessing kicks it can be about picking easier targets.

Taranto can hit a target. The big white sticks don't move. It's target identification we want him to level up. In 2024 he will have Dustin Martin nearby so figuring out the target will be pretty easy at times.

Adem Yze has the challenge of levelling up Tim Taranto's use in 2024. It doesn't matter if he's "not a very good kick". He can still kick smarter, handball more aggressively and tear games to pieces.

A good coach will improve established players. Yze might be one of them and Taranto his subject.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Can you have Dow and Timmy in the center square at the same time?

Reactions: 1 user
Timmy had a very good 2023. He was sound for most of the season, a bit lame late and produced vintage Taranto. His goal kicking accuracy was career-high. And RFC used him near goal at times.

Taranto's quick ball use is nothing special. His quick give at CB doesn't tear the game open. He's ok. He was less GWS ring-a-rosy over-use but not often insightful.

We knew who we had recruited and no doubt had plans to level him up. That went pearshaped when the coach walked out on the club in Round Whatever. Taranto was terrific but did not level up.

Our man is not slow. 3.0/20m IIRC. But he aint quick either. To break out of CB we need him to use it incisively by hand. And the new coach must have plans for Taranto's field kicking. It's not necessarily about finessing kicks it can be about picking easier targets.

Taranto can hit a target. The big white sticks don't move. It's target identification we want him to level up. In 2024 he will have Dustin Martin nearby so figuring out the target will be pretty easy at times.

Adem Yze has the challenge of levelling up Tim Taranto's use in 2024. It doesn't matter if he's "not a very good kick". He can still kick smarter, handball more aggressively and tear games to pieces.

A good coach will improve established players. Yze might be one of them and Taranto his subject.
Tarranto is a goalkicking mid.

This is gold in todays football.

For me he already levelled up in 2023.

He just needs more support so we dont see him fade away like the back end of 2023.

Reactions: 5 users
We have two questions - how do we get a dynamic centre square?
And hard running around the ground onballers.

In Q2 and Q3 we were outworked and outnumbered. Smile they did an old school Richmond on us.
Did a few tigers rest up, as it was only a practice game?
Or do we have a Dusty problem?
With Duz and Shai both playing mid/fwd do we lack numbers onball?

Late question mate.

But add Hopper as well.

Suspect Yze will have to cut some ego's/reputations down to get the right balance in the middle.

Yze knows football and shouldn’t care about egos, I have faith he’ll get the right mix.

Noticed that he was holding on to the ball for longer which in my mind is a very positive thing made more happen with his possessions against Collingwood then last year

Reactions: 1 users
Noticed that he was holding on to the ball for longer which in my mind is a very positive thing made more happen with his possessions against Collingwood then last year
I noticed the same. A few guys were holding on to the ball and looking for the option.

I like it. I hope it's team instruction, particularly for Taranto.

We'll need to get really good at being an option though.

Reactions: 3 users
I thought Timmy's use looked sharper at times and more considered at others while were still in the Collingwood game. Like.

Reactions: 3 users
Seems to be escaping criticism today.

Reigning b&f will do that.

But he was probably worst on ground today. He, Dow, Hopper attended the most centre bounces and as a threesome, were singularly responsible for that margin. No other line could do anything to abate the uncontested, quality, running clearances coming out of the middle.

Dow a significant culprit. Hopper not a AFL quality athlete, though tried to will himself in in the second half. Taranto diabolical. Pushed aside easily, and got a couple of quality goal assists for GC. Ball use horrendous, no defensive pressure, and very little attacking benefit.

Reactions: 7 users

But he was probably worst on ground today. He, Dow, Hopper attended the most centre bounces and as a threesome, were singularly responsible for that margin. No other line could do anything to abate the uncontested, quality, running clearances coming out of the middle.

Dow a significant culprit. Hopper not a AFL quality athlete, though tried to will himself in in the second half. Taranto diabolical. Pushed aside easily, and got a couple of quality goal assists for GC. Ball use horrendous, no defensive pressure, and very little attacking benefit.

You are too harsh on Hopper.

Dow was a ghost today.

Taranto played probably the worst game that he has for the footy club. Couldn't get his hands on the pill and when he did he gave it back to them. Was probably good for us he didn't touch it much in the 2nd half in the end.

Reactions: 1 users

Was bloody terrible , prob only two kicks he had under no pressure went srt to oppo for goals , expect to be grilled on footy shows

He was poor today. I believe we are managing some sort of niggle with him that’s been ongoing for a few weeks now.

The type of player that needs a rocket up the butt to get him going.
Can’t self motivate himself.

Hope it’s an anomaly but you don’t pay $750k per year for that standard of football.

You are too harsh on Hopper.

Dow was a ghost today.

Taranto played probably the worst game that he has for the footy club. Couldn't get his hands on the pill and when he did he gave it back to them. Was probably good for us he didn't touch it much in the 2nd half in the end.
Hopper gets a pass for 2 very good goals , his midfield work was largely tripe , yes he gets his hands on it but too often squirts out a useless hb or grabber kick