Welcome to Tigerland - Tim Taranto | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigerland - Tim Taranto

Agreed on Danny, $hai and Gibcus.

Dusty is an interesting one as the Tigers won't be playing in a GF whilst he's still playing, and I assume he is a free agent very soon anyway?

I'm wobbly on the triple premiership players consenting; I'm sure these things can be handled in a professional manner if / when the time comes.

Ill lose all hope and meaning,

if dusty ever plays for anyone but Richmond.

but @MD Jazz is becoming right, we're straying a long way from TT,

lets take it over onto a list management thread

Reactions: 1 user
This repetitive mantra of play the kids is getting on my goat. Apart from one or two the kids recruited in the last few years are a bust and didn’t look like footballers then and do not look like and play AFL footballers now.

Hardwick’s grand plan post 2020 was flawed as the game past him by along with the majority of his young recruits.

Season 2024 has just begun - every player on the list deserves a shot in theory and those that put their bodies on the line each game certainly deserve to be wearing the jumper.

I’m more interested now to see how the new coach responds to the challenges of the list he mostly inherited from Hardwick.

Starting with team selection for the Carlton game.
I'm advocating for getting as many games as quickly as possible into kids that the club feels have a possibility of making it; players the likes of Trezise, Clarke and Brown.

Rather than perhaps waiting until they're 100% ready to take the spot of someone who is more experienced and battle hardened, but is only one or two years away from the end.

(So we can squeak out a few extra wins over the course of the season)

Which I guess is the challenge for the club and coaching group; how many games are we prepared to lose and where do they think that we are realistically at?

I too am eagerly waiting to see how Ooze shapes his game plan, and to see what he can get out of individual players that perhaps Harwick couldn't, and appreciate that it will take time to evolve.

However the second half of the the Collonwood practice match (when they actually started playing), and the GC game was a sobering experience and given that I think the room for improvement is limited with the current list balance (regardless of the coaching), I would be all for making whatever moves are necessary / possible to start fast tracking things.

I wasn't decrying 'play all the kids' as some sort of blind mantra or answer in and of itself.

Reactions: 3 users
I reckon there's a simple, annoying, coaching issue with TT that would solve for a lot of people's issues with him.

Why cant this panel of coaches just coach him to take that extra split second, that extra step, before he kicks the ball ? He's dumping it off most of the time when he thinks that he's under pressure, or about to get caught with the ball, when in fact he isnt. He has more time than he realises.

His action isnt bad. If it was, he wouldnt kick the amount of goals he does. Rather, its a composure and time issue which is easily fixable. Just get him to spend that extra split second to look at his target first before throwing it on his boot in a hack-panic. If he gets caught holding the ball every now and again, so be it if it improves significantly his kicking efficiency.

Reactions: 4 users
You're right. Whether it's possible, who knows? Because what you're asking from TT is the vision thing. It's what he lacks. He can kick straight through the goals, but he can't dissect the chaos and place a teammate in space - a space the teammate didn't even know he was supposed to be in before the pass made him go there. It's what the great mids have, and every team needs a few of them. It's why TT is not a great mid, just a solid one.

This early season I'm looking in particular for evidence of coaching with those who haven't had a Richmond Football Academy education.

One is Tim Taranto.

Round Nought. Went backwards in every way. Couldn't touch it. Couldn't use it.

The coach he moved clubs for, to be better coached, in a bizarre twist, coached against him.

We get to see the Taranto/RFC response. Breathing fire is not what we need from him. Quick incisive use by hand. Considered use by foot. It's still about that. Getting a kick is a given.

The bigger picture question for me, is did Blair Hartley know this before recruiting him? Did he explain this to the coaches, and they approved the mega trade anyway? We see this now, because we've watched TT closely for a year. Most of us just watched the odd GWS game through the season and never really took notice of the nuances of their players. But I would hope that our list management team know every opposition player inside out, rather than discovering these finer points - which matter A LOT - once they are here. For me, it raises questions about how forensic our analysis and knowledge of the opposition really is.

TT is not a superstar. That's okay, he's not on superstar money, he's on very good player money. (Perhaps superstar contract length, though.)

We need him to be the sledgehammer in a velvet sledgehammer 1-2 punch. Who's the velvet? Gotta be Shai.

Reactions: 1 users
Are you new to this site?
I can gripe with the best of them. But to see the Taranto thread littered with abuse was a surprise, even for PRE.

One poor half of football. That is all I have seen this season. I'm willing to treat it for what it was, a short-term virus treatable with a Martin/Lynch antibiotic.

I am not willing to diagnose terminal cancer just yet.

Reactions: 4 users
TT is not a superstar. That's okay, he's not on superstar money, he's on very good player money. (Perhaps superstar contract length, though.)
I think this isn't all that bad, length of the contracts means (if we can still shift them around at least) we can front end them to make more room for the superstars if/when we bring them in

I'm advocating for getting as many games as quickly as possible into kids that the club feels have a possibility of making it; players the likes of Trezise, Clarke and Brown.

Rather than perhaps waiting until they're 100% ready to take the spot of someone who is more experienced and battle hardened, but is only one or two years away from the end.

(So we can squeak out a few extra wins over the course of the season)

Which I guess is the challenge for the club and coaching group; how many games are we prepared to lose and where do they think that we are realistically at?

I too am eagerly waiting to see how Ooze shapes his game plan, and to see what he can get out of individual players that perhaps Harwick couldn't, and appreciate that it will take time to evolve.

However the second half of the the Collonwood practice match (when they actually started playing), and the GC game was a sobering experience and given that I think the room for improvement is limited with the current list balance (regardless of the coaching), I would be all for making whatever moves are necessary / possible to start fast tracking things.

I wasn't decrying 'play all the kids' as some sort of blind mantra or answer in and of itself.
agree with those 3 players (plus Cumbo of course)

Can you have Dow and Timmy in the center square at the same time?
Yes, I reckon they can, but I don’t reckon you can have Hopper and Taranto in there at the same time… they’re too similar… they can both get the ball, but what they do with it is an issue. They can’t break away/exit from stoppage with speed or put a team mate into space on a regular basis. Dow at least has the ability to create space for others with his hands.

Still reckon we need a stopper in the middle, I would put Pickett there to harass the opposition's main mid.

DS

Reactions: 2 users
Still reckon we need a stopper in the middle, I would put Pickett there to harass the opposition's main mid.

DS
Mansell the perfect fit he aren't no forward criminal his taking Clarke, Coulthard and Cumberland spot.

For a apprant top runner he picks and chooses when to move.
He never seems to be in chains of play and you would expect him to hit the score board more.
Really vanilla start to 2024

He played well. More considered ball use at least once: the weighted kick inside to Shai that led to Dusty marking near the point post was a beauty.

His kicking was better against Carlton, but it was woeful agiant the Suns.

Worse was his decision making in the Collingwood practice game. Twice we cut through thier lines of defence and got goal side with the last handball finding Taranto. Both times he didn't even look foeward, but stopped and handballed back into the area behind him, where the last line of Collingwoods defence which we'd just bypassed suddenly came back into play. On the first of these occasions, he had a runner both on the outside and on the inside he could have given to. We could literally have ran the ball to the goal line.

The other aspect of Tatanto's game is that his handballs aren;t even accurate. The concern i have is that looking at our list, Taranto and Hopper are our mainstay mids, when looking at their skill set, they should only really be the support crew. That's all they really were at GWS.

They are on long contracts. It's almost the parting gift from Hardwick. Maybe he saw their flaws and the length of the investment and jumped for greener pastures. I hope i'm wrong, but i don't think either get any better than what we've seen so far.

I'd hope that their recruitment doesn't severely hamper our ability to get good game time into the likes of Sonsi, McCailiffe and dare i say, even Jack Ross who could well show more improvement. particularly if he was thrown in the guts more often.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users