Welcome to Tigerland - Tim Taranto | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigerland - Tim Taranto

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Reckon there are a few holes in that article but regardless the proof of adding Taranto and Hopper will be in the pudding.

With this approach, all things being equal we need to be back in the top four immediately or it is a failure.

Reactions: 5 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
What a shame we don't see more of this type of article in the mainstream AFL media.
Excellent analysis, doesn't sugar coat & has highlighted a few of my concerns. The real question is whether Taranto has been mismanaged or has hit his ceiling, this article gives me some hope.

Reactions: 10 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Reckon there are a few holes in that article but regardless the proof of adding Taranto and Hopper will be in the pudding.

With this approach, all things being equal we need to be back in the top four immediately or it is a failure.
It's certainly a balancing act, I don't think the stakes are nearly as high as the potential cost of recruiting Hopper, all the risk has been leveraged with the latter. The Taranto risk seems on par with Prestia even though Prestia represented a more bankable commodity. I don't think Taranto will hurt us to the same extent as Hopper if we take a tumble next year. At this point in the game I would give the haul a tick if we used our remaining capital on shoring up our ruck stocks, I think our ruck stocks are wafer thin & could cause some heartache next year in the event Nank goes down. The issue of key forwards doesn't go away, this is another reason I would pull stumps on any further trading with GWS.

Reactions: 5 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Excellent analysis, doesn't sugar coat & has highlighted a few of my concerns. The real question is whether Taranto has been mismanaged or has hit his ceiling, this article gives me some hope.
Good to have you back on board BH.

Reactions: 2 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Good way to look at it is as a 21 year old to look at what Taranto did in 2019 in the season and in the GF
So if we are to consider that as his ceiling and he has reached that before. As a 25 year old he should have no problem getting back to that but we are getting that calibre player on around $700k

I see it as a very similar commitment to the Prestia deal both trade assets and money with the same output but hopefully without the hamstring injuries

Reactions: 1 user

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I agree. Future 1st is all I would give. Go to this year's draft with a 2nd rounder. If GWS dig in, grab Hopper on the same terms next year as a FA and we keep 2nd round this year and 1st round next year
If we walk away from the Hopper deal we keep draft picks but maybe harder to go back to back in 24 because we fell short in 23!

• Haha

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Good way to look at it is as a 21 year old to look at what Taranto did in 2019 in the season and in the GF
So if we are to consider that as his ceiling and he has reached that before. As a 25 year old he should have no problem getting back to that but we are getting that calibre player on around $700k

I see it as a very similar commitment to the Prestia deal both trade assets and money with the same output but hopefully without the hamstring injuries
I think Taranto is ok if we simply walk away at this point & focus on the draft, 2016 was an exceptional blend of players, Prestia/Caddy/Nankervis a coup when you look at things in totality. Pick 12 & 19 still overs but not tragically lopsided & certainly not capable of completely derailing the rebuild. Hopper on the other hand is starting to look like a hand grenade, I'm nervous about weakening our ruck division to grab another inside mid, I think we're better off future proofing ruck 2 & keeping some picks for a key forward like Lemmey. This is where you may find Peter & Paul embroiled in a 7 year slugfest, not only with our ruck stocks looking frail but also our ability to recruit a couple of forwards.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
I think Taranto is ok if we simply walk away at this point & focus on the draft, 2016 was an exceptional blend of players, Prestia/Caddy/Nankervis a coup when you look at things in totality. Pick 12 & 19 still overs but not tragically lopsided & certainly not capable of completely derailing the rebuild. Hopper on the other hand is starting to look like a hand grenade, I'm nervous about weakening our ruck division to grab another inside mid, I think we're better off future proofing ruck 2 & keeping some picks for a key forward like Lemmey. This is where you may find Peter & Paul embroiled in a 7 year slugfest, not only with our ruck stocks looking frail but also our ability to recruit a couple of forwards.

Taranto and Hopper are for the now. As TBR stated above we need to return to top 4 and have a decent shot at our 14th and 15th premierships.

You have expressed your point of view. Walking away now is a half step and leaves us exposed to mid table. Pick 31 this year and next year's 1st wont be effective for 4 to 5 years. Bolton, Balta and the others then nearing 30.

Rather go all in on winning the premiership next year.

Reactions: 10 users

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
What we really need is a ruck forward.

We are playing one genuine ruckman in Nank, and Miller and Balta relief rucking, makes us very versatile and dynamic.

We need a ruck forward to add to that versatility and Sampson Ryan looks likely. Was incredible in the VFL, looked ominous even.

Soldo is expendable, also helps with TPP space.

Hopper and Taranto will be amazing for Richmond

Reactions: 7 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014

Agree, but then again, a bit more luck / composure in season 2022 and we would have finished top 4 without them. The club would definitely be aware of this too. You don't give up draft capital for players like this when you have the likes of Lynch, Martin and Bolton to just make finals, you do it to compete for premierships.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Taranto and Hopper are for the now. As TBR stated above we need to return to top 4 and have a decent shot at our 14th and 15th premierships.

You have expressed your point of view. Walking away now is a half step and leaves us exposed to mid table. Pick 31 this year and next year's 1st wont be effective for 4 to 5 years. Bolton, Balta and the others then nearing 30.

At this juncture I would say weakening ruck 2 could add a bit of interest to the overall bill, these types usually come with a premium once you look at fringe rucks already in the system. The obvious direction now is reverting to the state leagues, but if you make that call then you have to also accept your ruck division will be breaking even at the absolute best. Soldo is at least plug & play, it will be a lotto with a player from the VFL & there has to be an acceptance that even mature agers require some sort of learning curve. This is also an issue which may impact on the new additions & has the potential to wipe out any gains made from such a lofty investment. Of course there is the chance Nank battles through another year unassisted & none of this comes to play, that's the best case scenario.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
What we really need is a ruck forward.

We are playing one genuine ruckman in Nank, and Miller and Balta relief rucking, makes us very versatile and dynamic.

We need a ruck forward to add to that versatility and Sampson Ryan looks likely. Was incredible in the VFL, looked ominous even.

Soldo is expendable, also helps with TPP space.

Hopper and Taranto will be amazing for Richmond
I watched a few vfl games live this year and later in the season Ryan played quite a bit of ruck. I think he is a very likely prospect but I still think he is more forward-ruck and than ruck-forward.
Who knows really, in ruck terms he is still a baby
At a pinch we could probably play with Miller and Ryan as our rucks if Nank was injured but it is hardly ideal .
The other player who did a bit of vfl rucking was Biggie Nyuon. He has a great natural spring on him.

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
Agree - let’s just sit back and see what happens - we played it well with CCJ and I think GWS will eventually come to the party. I don’t think we are out to screw GWS, play fair and if GWS don’t like that then we walk away.

Our midfield is already better with Taranto in and Graham staying and our youngsters in RCD, Dow and Sonsie will be a year older and bigger.

As much as Hopper would be great, we can now afford to sit back and wait - let GWS come to us.
RCD and Dow will be a year older but unfortunately still not AFL standard.
Which is why we are having to give away five decent draft picks to get two quality mids in Taranto and Hopper.
I agree with their acquisition but their expensive price highlights our list management and recruiting flaws.
But when they do land, we can stop pretending that those kids are gonna be alright.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011

I could be wrong here but i don't see it as going "all in" for next yr as they'll both be around a fair bit longer than that. they fill the middle aged void in our midfield for the future.
As for the ruck/fwd dilemma, if Bauer and/or Ryan can make a step next yr that goes some way to solving that issue in the shorter term. In letting Soldo go the Club may be backing these guys in. We still need to draft in this area of course but those guys won't be ready next yr more than likely. with Rucks we have the option of looking at which rucks are delisted after trade & see if any are worth picking up on the cheap, if not we can always rookie list a state league ruck as back up.
As for Ryan, before Soldo went back to the 2nd's Ryan was 5th for ave hitouts in the VFL for the season which is a good step for a 2nd yr player in his 1st yr playing as the #1 ruck in that side.

Last edited:

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
I watched a few vfl games live this year and later in the season Ryan played quite a bit of ruck. I think he is a very likely prospect but I still think he is more forward-ruck and than ruck-forward.
Who knows really, in ruck terms he is still a baby
At a pinch we could probably play with Miller and Ryan as our rucks if Nank was injured but it is hardly ideal .
The other player who did a bit of vfl rucking was Biggie Nyuon. He has a great natural spring on him.
Nank going down won’t be optimal .

We have enough to compete , remind me of who Geelong rucks or the pies or Sydney ?

We are making a weakness a strength , getting these two bulls will be massive for Richmond

Reactions: 4 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I am a bit more optimistic about Hopper and think combined with Taranto and prestia martin bolton puts our midfield into the top echelon of midfields and elevates Richmond into a serious flag contender and F1 will most likely become 15-18 pick next year and #31 this year is about the same as #44 in quality.

Lemmy could still be a real possibility at pick #50 going by how badly he has dropped down the order
personally im not seeing Soldo as a massive loss and believe Ryan will be a better 2nd ruck option in 18 months time but still holding out hope for 2023 with more development how ever we will nee another Ruck on the list for cover if he is to depart

I am just sick of getting smashed at clearances which has cost us imo a top 2 spot in 2022

Reactions: 4 users