Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

No difference to Ross and others missing. It wasn't that he used a round the corner kick, it was that he missed.

Difference was he made two mistakes
First was the decision to try what he did - second was the execution

Ross missed from directly in front
So did jack.
Lynch from 40 out on a angle.
Chol basic snap missed.
Bolton 40 out slight angle missed again.
Caddy running into 50 missed.

We missed some gettable goals yesterday.
Could've been a comfortable win

Reactions: 1 user
Cripps would be the best snap at goal in the comp.
He snapped 3 yesterday
And he snapped the winner against the hawks earlier in the year
Maybe he should teach Georgie how to Snap

We missed so many easy ones. West Coke were pulling them out of their arse. It was a 5 goal win.

Reactions: 1 users
Did enough today, but can anyone explain to me what he was thinking with that set shot?* Absolute shocker. I thought those days were behind him.

*rhetorical question alert

It was a shocking decision.
At the time I thought it was potentially going to cruel the Tigers.
Drop punt is the kick on most occasions.

Ross missed from directly in front
So did jack.
Lynch from 40 out on a angle.
Chol basic snap missed.
Bolton 40 out slight angle missed again.
Caddy running into 50 missed.

We missed some gettable goals yesterday.
Could've been a comfortable win

This and its my biggest bug bear with the team.

The effort expended for lack of reward is frustrating.

We put ourselves under scoreboard pressure and keep opposition teams in games when they should be dead and buried.

We cant be doing that from here on in.

Towners accuracy in 2017 was a major factor in the flag, he nailed goals at key moments and gave the side momentum whilst winding the opposition like a big punch in the guts, we need to convert better.

We would win games a hell of a lot easier and faster if we did

Last edited:
The reason these blokes feel more comfortable snapping is because they like to hit the belly of the ball. The pointy bit obviously feels a bit precarious for some. Why don't they try a flat punt? Worked for Peter Hudson.

Castagna's round the corner miss was embarrassing, both for him and his coaches.
Unacceptable by both - not buying Dimma's "whatever the kids feel comfortable with" millennial parenting style.
The higher % approach for that kick was obviously a straight drop punt.
Would just love him to do that in a GF - not. Grrrrr.

No difference to Ross and others missing. It wasn't that he used a round the corner kick, it was that he missed.
Correct. If he thinks that's his best chance of goaling go for it. I'd love to see his accuracy for that type of kick (he does not miss many of those snaps), it would be much better than his set shot drop punt accuracy.
I think what he tried it is a more predictable kick and easier to drop and hit consistently than a drop punt. (for George that is)

I'd agree in most cases, but 25-30 out more or less directly in front? And he's been kicking set shots traditional-style pretty well this year to boot.

The whole game goes into hyper speed when George has the ball.

Tempo footy?

*smile* that.

Castagne Chaos is a decent part of why we are so. *smile*. good.

The reason these blokes feel more comfortable snapping is because they like to hit the belly of the ball. The pointy bit obviously feels a bit precarious for some. Why don't they try a flat punt? Worked for Peter Hudson.
Jack did for the winner.

I've been saying for years blokes should try it.

Castagna's round the corner miss was embarrassing, both for him and his coaches.
Unacceptable by both - not buying Dimma's "whatever the kids feel comfortable with" millennial parenting style.
The higher % approach for that kick was obviously a straight drop punt.
Would just love him to do that in a GF - not. Grrrrr.
On the Gold Coast when there was no pressure he was nailing drop punts.
Agree the pressure got to him and he has plenty of form in this area.

Lucky he had 8 tackles. The rest of his game was a non event
What I did notice when at the game was he was being pulled back & held to keep him engaging in the contest or slightly delay him running in. Basically nullify his influence. Especially in stopages in the fwd line. Didnt see free kicks given for that. Thought that was frustrating.

He wasnt the only one being held. West Coke got away with a lot in that area imo

On the Gold Coast when there was no pressure he was nailing drop punts.
Agree the pressure got to him and he has plenty of form in this area.
No pressure. He was casual. He had earlier gone to play on using the same kick. Not even properly - just a half step and lazy snap. He got ahead of himself.

George should never get ahead of himself.

No pressure. He was casual. He had earlier gone to play on using the same kick. Not even properly - just a half step and lazy snap. He got ahead of himself.

George should never get ahead of himself.

Respectfully disagree. He looked unsure and rushed it. I think he felt the pressure

At the time it looked as if he rushed the kick, George has been good this year because he has focused on the process and it has been successful for him.

Just needed to slow it down and focus on the process.