Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

Well plenty of people take the time to critique other players performances. I don’t see any difference taking the time to create a video demonstrating a players flaws.

If you are having a debate - fair enough put something up on here. But there wasn't a team selected that included George this week - everyone knew he should be dropped.

To then plaster it up on YouTube was frankly, a very Essendon supporter thing to do.

Reactions: 1 users
If Castagna kicked for goal and in general play at an AFL average level how good would he be?

I think he’d be top 50.

Hopefully it’s mental like Dan Jackson and he can have an epiphany over a pre season.

If Castagna dribbled like Messi and headed the ball like Timmy Cahill he'd be a fair soccer player too.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Been watching Jason's clangers for a long time now. Also been watching his electric pace pressure and desire. Unfortunately what a premiership side could cover up a middle of the road one cannot. Jason's footskills and brainfarts are now a major liability, especially for a forward. Like last week when he could have won the game. We need to find better.

Reactions: 2 users
Dimma is only human. He got caught up in the emotion of last week's loss and responded in a way that created tension in the team by dropping a forward largely because he was perceived to miss too many shots on goal.

But the numbers don't back up that perception.

George kicks goals 55% of the time compared to the competition average of around 60%.

The fact is he's no worse in front of goal for 19/20 shots on goal that he has.

By picking George, then compared to average, you'll lose 1 goal for every 20 shots he takes - nothing more.

Then you gain all the pressure and chaos he brings.

He only needs to save/create 1 goal with his chaos to compensate for that 20th shot on goal that you'd normally expect him to miss compared to a guy with a 60% average. It's a no-brainer to me.

Dropping George was a poor decision based on perception and emotion rather than logic and a shrewd moneyball selection policy. The alternative requires draft pick and salary cap commitment to reliably upgrade on what is ultimately just a forward pocket player. In a zero-sum game, you want your forward pockets to be cheap rookies with 55% kicking accuracy... because you're taking advantage of the fact that everyone else is undervaluing players like him due to their own perception biases.

• Haha
Dimma is only human. He got caught up in the emotion of last week's loss and responded in a way that created tension in the team by dropping a forward largely because he was perceived to miss too many shots on goal.

George kicks goals 55% of the time compared to the competition average of around 60%.

By picking George, then compared to average, you'll lose 1 goal for every 20 shots he takes - nothing more.

He only needs to save/create 1 goal with his chaos to compensate for that 20th shot on goal that you'd normally expect him to miss compared to a guy with a 60% average. It's a no-brainer to me.

Dropping George was a poor decision based on perception and emotion rather than logic and a shrewd moneyball selection policy. The alternative requires draft pick and salary cap commitment to reliably upgrade on what is ultimately just a forward pocket player. In a zero-sum game, you want your forward pockets to be cheap rookies with 55% kicking accuracy... because you're taking advantage of the fact that everyone else is undervaluing players like him due to their own perception biases.
Perception? Mate, have a look at the blooper video (posted last week) for Castagna’s game last week.
Its not perception, it’s reality. He’s gone backwards for the past 3 years. It’s not just his (abysmal) shots on goal, it’s missing targets by hand and foot. Lack of forward pressure etc.
His flaws are many and have been well documented.
We can’t carry zero skilled players, the game has changed.

Am I biased? Yes I am, and many who were previously fanboys are now seeing it. Time to upgrade for a player who is more skilled and can actually impact on the scoreboard. I’d rather a player who can kick 2 or 3 goals when the opportunity presents rather than a player who keeps breaking down play and misses goals so horribly.
2 goal player compared to a player who runs hard with little skill. I know who I want. Scoreboard pressure rather than late to the ball who runs hard

Seven clearances yesterday.

Has he got the rest of the season for a makeover...............

If those stats are to be believed - and not all stats should be - maybe they indicate how things were during the flag years.

We’re almost in a different era now and he is nowhere near that form and nowhere near being rated in our best 22 - and tbh I can’t ever see him regaining that ranking.

He‘s done well and we’ve all enjoyed the ride - but all good things come to an end. Hopefully that doesn’t refer to our finals hopes in this and the next few years.

Reactions: 1 user

Too simplistic. The shots need to be judged vs how difficult they are and to be completely fair out on the fulls and ones that go across the face would also need to be included. We need an expected score vs actual score for George and to my naked eye it would be whatever the opposite of elite is.

Missing it from 25m directly in front after being released into space or snapping from 20m on a slight angle and putting it out on the full under no pressure when it hits the wrong side of your foot is different to hitting the post from 55m on a 45 degree angle whilst being tackled.

Too simplistic. The shots need to be judged vs how difficult they are and to be completely fair out on the fulls and ones that go across the face would also need to be included. We need an expected score vs actual score for George and to my naked eye it would be whatever the opposite of elite is.

Missing it from 25m directly in front after being released into space or snapping from 20m on a slight angle and putting it out on the full under no pressure when it hits the wrong side of your foot is different to hitting the post from 55m on a 45 degree angle whilst being tackled.

The key phrase in your post is "to my naked eye".

The basic concept of 'moneyball' is exploiting the whole "to my naked eye" approach that your competitors still use.