Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Might be on my Pat Malone but I was happy to have him as sub. Wasn't great or anything but worked hard and pressured and was good in the context of a game we just had to put our heads down and win in the wet.

To be fair, he's probably the perfect sub. His fitness will trouble any team when he comes on. His defensive work was very good, but that left foot snap for goal was vintage George.

Reactions: 2 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
To be fair, he's probably the perfect sub. His fitness will trouble any team when he comes on. His defensive work was very good, but that left foot snap for goal was vintage George.
That was a shocker, but geez he worked, popped up everywhere.

Reactions: 1 user

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Why is he back? Just don’t get it. Surely we have better options. He’s done.

Did his usual George act by kicking the ball in 180 degrees from where it was meant to go.
Comical George. He,ll stay in now, especially if McIntosh and Trent get rubbed out…did I say if? I meant when. But he has to play wing or running half back. Just keep him away from the goals!

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
That kick that went sideways.

You would be hard pressed to consistently pull that off deliberately. The man can do it at will.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
Comical George. He,ll stay in now, especially if McIntosh and Trent get rubbed out…did I say if? I meant when. But he has to play wing or running half back. Just keep him away from the goals!
Just keep him away from the seniors………I know it’s being mean to the VFL side a bit

Reactions: 1 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Worked his arse off. But he always does.

Its just whenever he gets near or has the ball that I start to have palpitations.

I actually saw a handball hit the player he aimed for. (At least I think he was aiming for him, but I couldn’t see where his eyes were looking)
But his usual shot (towards) goal was up to his usual standard.

Has anyone mentioned he’s a 3 time premiership player? :cool: He’s due for his breakout game soon. Maybe…nah

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Weirdly I was watching this afternoon and Castagna gets the ball on half back and pumps it forward - straight kick with a fair bit of distance. Now, why he doesn't kick like that when in front of goals is anyone's guess, clearly it is between the ears. He can actually kick.

DS

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Weirdly I was watching this afternoon and Castagna gets the ball on half back and pumps it forward - straight kick with a fair bit of distance. Now, why he doesn't kick like that when in front of goals is anyone's guess, clearly it is between the ears. He can actually kick.

DS
Or does a broken watch tell time correctly once a day? The weight of evidence says that much like my own attempts to kick a footy his technique is flawed and he will fluff it too often and occasionally get it right. Something fundamentally wrong with his ball drop and maybe the way his leg comes through the ball isn’t consistent either IMO.

look just after a minute. The best players seem to almost place the ball onto the foot IMO - he drops it from above waist height too often.

I don’t know who this guy is but maybe Castagna should do this drill. George’s hands sometimes also seem on top of the ball and not on the side of it which is a bit what I do and it makes it pretty random how the kick turns out.

Puntrd64

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
triple premiership player surely will be at either North or Gold Coast next year. perhaps he would be a fit for the Hawks too

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
In your team you just have to have a 1% in as that one percenters effort at a crucial time can win the game. George is a one percenter 3 time Premiership Tiger hero. We need to make him a fourth.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004

DS
Yeah, that’s why I said earlier if we have to play him play him further up the ground. There’s prospect he could play wing/hbf and use his run and carry and kick it long forward. Possibly….

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Had a bit to say to some players after the game. I wonder what it was.
He was asking how many quarters to go and which end we were kicking to?
In your team you just have to have a 1% in as that one percenters effort at a crucial time can win the game. George is a one percenter 3 time Premiership Tiger hero. We need to make him a fourth.
Understand the sentiment (about getting his fourth) and it’s been said about other players in the past - so this is not about George specifically

I’d much prefer Sonsie or Moju or Stacky or (insert name of one of our up and comers) get their first flag and set themselves on their own path to multiple flags before George got his fourth

But the only way the former will happen is to not automatically assume that 3 in the bag makes a bloke more worthy of a shot for the next flag than someone with none

• Haha

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
RoarEmotion, I agree about his kicking technique, it is very flawed. The kick I noticed was when he played on so wasn't like a set shot kick. He can kick better but needs some sort of method to do so. I remember, I think it was the 2019 PF, Castagna had a shot at goal from about 40 out at a critical time in the last quarter and just slotted it. He often does kick them when we need them, but he just messes way to many shots up, and the handballing is not impressive either. Just wish he could fix this.

DS

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Why is he back? Just don’t get it. Surely we have better options. He’s done.

Did his usual George act by kicking the ball in 180 degrees from where it was meant to go.
And that was the match winner right there. Before George came on, Port thought they had us all worked out. Then BANG!!! Georgie kicks that and straight away port had no idea what was happening and how to deal with it. Totally unexpected (for them, not us). They fell in a heap after that. Masterstroke

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I like how we look for reasons to play george and look for reasons to not play stack

reckon the MC do the same