Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
And that was the match winner right there. Before George came on, Port thought they had us all worked out. Then BANG!!! Georgie kicks that and straight away port had no idea what was happening and how to deal with it. Totally unexpected (for them, not us). They fell in a heap after that. Masterstroke
The Riddler.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
RoarEmotion, I agree about his kicking technique, it is very flawed. The kick I noticed was when he played on so wasn't like a set shot kick. He can kick better but needs some sort of method to do so. I remember, I think it was the 2019 PF, Castagna had a shot at goal from about 40 out at a critical time in the last quarter and just slotted it. He often does kick them when we need them, but he just messes way to many shots up, and the handballing is not impressive either. Just wish he could fix this.

DS

Yep we agree on that. I just think it’s a muscle memory thing vs a mental thing. i.e. his default ball drop is flawed. It should be fixable though - but you would wonder how in a professional AFL environment that whatever it is, hasn’t been identified and specifically addressed with a targeted program. These guys would surely know more than any fan with a search on a YouTube video.

Some have said when he isn’t thinking about it is when he gets it right (which would play to the mental aspect) but there are plenty of examples where that isn’t the case too.

I think this is what he tries to do with the set shot snap where he doesn’t look at the goal. But that’s been an abject failure as well.

Coaches and George need to fix it. Costs games and top four positions.

TheCan

Tiger Superstar
Jul 17, 2011
steak knife well done, thats georgie but surely thats all she wrote. hopefully we can con GCS into a trade?

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Is this the 1st time I've seen a player named in the 22 get dropped for a Sunday game as they all used to be in EMG group?

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
What bloody game was Dimma watching last week ? I challenge anyone to be able to kick a shot at goal like George did ,that’s right nobody playing the game could execute that shot like George …Saddened and shocked our coach can’t see his unique talent , Clarko anyone ?

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
George got into the mix straight away & his goal a beauty. Team must be in good shape when you have a Medi Sub a 3 time premiership player with Dusty, Grimes side lined plus players like Ross Stack Dow cannot get a look in.

Reactions: 2 users

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
If you want to win at AFL level Pressure is what it is always about . Pressure to make your adversaries screw up. Tigers success is from players who apply pressure constantly for instance Lambert , Graham, Broad ,Val , Daniel Rioli, Baker, KMac ,Pickett to name a few. GEORGE is one of them & always will be. And now we have Maurice Jnr. Say no more.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Suddenly saw him on the ground and feverishly scanned the ground for who he had replaced.
Couldn’t see Prestia anywhere and had a complete meltdown.
Prestia injured and Castagnia the replacement?
Surely God couldn’t be that cruel.
A little relieved when I realised it was Graham but the sight of Castagna on the ground coming in as the sub is a double whammy for me.

Last edited:

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
I am no fan of George but … he was exactly what you want when he came on. He chased and tackled and harassed… kicked a good goal. If anything it made me wonder where that had been from him over the past few years. Looked like 2017-2019 circa George.

Reactions: 1 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Of all the goals George has kicked, the most memorable for me was the one in the 2017 GF when he kicked straight and true after spraying them all over the place in previous matches. It was then I knew we had broken our premiership drought

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
MJ Cumberland have forced him out and when Dusty returns should see George back in the VFL
There are better options when we have a full side to choose from than going back to George

Reactions: 3 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
MJ Cumberland have forced him out and when Dusty returns should see George back in the VFL
There are better options when we have a full side to choose from than going back to George
Yeah, he won't get a game ahead of the likes of Edwards.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Yep. In a way George was lucky in the last couple of years. Rioli moved back, Higgins and Butler left. Not saying they are better or worse than Castagna just that he was gifted games due to very little position competition. MRJ and especially Cumberland have changed all that. Amd a couple of very skilled young forwards plying their trade in the VFL.

I think he would make good trade bait, especially the Saints, the trio would be back together.

Reactions: 1 users