Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tigers: Jason Castagna

As well as all the other improvements his goal kicking accuracy is on the way up. 4.1 includes hitting the post.

I wouldn't compare his movement to Rodan's. It's more Merenda to me, particularly insofar as George is dynamic, a spinner, and punches above his weight. A surprise packet in the air.

Dyer'ere said:
As well as all the other improvements his goal kicking accuracy is on the way up. 4.1 includes hitting the post.

I wouldn't compare his movement to Rodan's. It's more Merenda to me, particularly insofar as George is dynamic, a spinner, and punches above his weight. A surprise packet in the air.

much much quicker than merenda, plays a lot taller as well, and not as good a kick.

Merenda was a good player before injury. Injuries robbed us of merenda dragacevic coughlan brown foley.

nikolasmia said:
much much quicker than merenda, plays a lot taller as well, and not as good a kick.

Dunno, Niko. I think you're doing Merenda an injustice. But maybe I was his equal #1 fan.

Here's one of my favourites - a Merenda mark from the year he was playing with the floating bone shards in his pubic area. (He was largely grounded due to this.):

mark-merenda-of-richmond-takes-a-high-mark-over-guy-mckenna-of-west-picture-id1016627

Anyways I'm probably the only bloke who sees any resemblance to Merenda's style in George. Who is, as you say, quicker than Merenda was.

Harry said:
Merenda was a good player before injury. Injuries robbed us of merenda dragacevic coughlan brown foley.

We had a real run of them for a while, Harry. Robbed.

See what you're saying jack re the comparison however merenda was silkier with his skills and composure (had elite footskills imo), and george is physically more imposing. There was a patch before injuries where merenda was our best player and was our only avenue to goal. One of my favourites too.

Harry said:
See what you're saying jack re the comparison however merenda was silkier with his skills and composure (had elite footskills imo), and george is physically more imposing. There was a patch before injuries where merenda was our best player and was our only avenue to goal. One of my favourites too.

Merenda was silk. A Burgyone prototype.

Not sure what media pundit said it but George is playing the Luke Breust role perfectly. Not sure he ends up that good but he did some stuff in traffic on the weekend that I'd never seen before. Class stuff. Side step ballet stuff. I did not think he had that touch of class. Thought he was more graft than class but he's improving and showing that he is better than a battler. The perfect medium forward for 2017. Pace, defensive aggression and finishing.

Harry said:

It's nice to have somebody to compare to him, Harry. And yes, he was that good.

SCOOP said:

Not sure what media pundit said it but George is playing the Luke Breust role perfectly. Not sure he ends up that good but he did some stuff in traffic on the weekend that I'd never seen before. Class stuff. Side step ballet stuff. I did not think he had that touch of class. Thought he was more graft than class but he's improving and showing that he is better than a battler. The perfect medium forward for 2017. Pace, defensive aggression and finishing.

If you watch his u18 highlights its his lethal sidestep and acceleration to get out of congestion that stood out for me.

Dyer'ere said:
Dunno, Niko. I think you're doing Merenda an injustice. But maybe I was his equal #1 fan.

Here's one of my favourites - a Merenda mark from the year he was playing with the floating bone shards in his pubic area. (He was largely grounded due to this.):

mark-merenda-of-richmond-takes-a-high-mark-over-guy-mckenna-of-west-picture-id1016627

Anyways I'm probably the only bloke who sees any resemblance to Merenda's style in George. Who is, as you say, quicker than Merenda was.

We had a real run of them for a while, Harry. Robbed.

Well done Jack

very hard to argue with the evidence you have presented eg that screamer.

Not trying to be difficult or argumentative for the sake of it, but I reckon George plays more like Dangerfield than Merenda . ;)

nikolasmia said:
Well done Jack

very hard to argue with the evidence you have presented eg that screamer.

Not trying to be difficult or argumentative for the sake of it, but I reckon George plays more like Dangerfield than Merenda . ;)

I'm clutching at straws here, niko. I'll cop Dangerfield. ;D

SCOOP said:

More Puopolo than Breust, and not just because of the Italian names.

If we're comparing football skills and movement, I'm going to say he's our Charlie Cameron.

With slightly dodgier disposal ;D

2 cm an 1 kg difference, both quick, both evasive, both tough and sinewy

You guys are hilarious- pitching for the job as his manager?
George is a goer but light years from your comparisons skill wise.
Let's try and keep it real at 4-0 and reassess after next five weeks.

McGrath got the RS nom over him for 28 disposals in a 10 goal loss.

Would've thought 16 disposals, 4 goals in a big win is more worthy.

Would have thought Butler and George form would have warranted a nomination B4 McGrath
Afl making bomber fans feel good again

smokin joe said:
Would have thought Butler and George form would have warranted a nomination B4 McGrath
Afl making bomber fans feel good again

Now they really are a group of supporters that need to spend the next thirty years learning about resilience.

Let's hope it happens.

TOT70 said:
Now they really are a group of supporters that need to spend the next thirty years learning about resilience.

May not be long enough, TOT. They're pretty slow learners.