Welcome Will Martyn | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Will Martyn

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Geez i liked these highlights. Wins a lot ball. Think hes been playing in losing sides. Good vision, smooth. We shall see.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
As my uncle would say, “like his name, reckon he’ll be a great player”

Use to judge young players by their names. Better the name the better the player.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Can kick on both feet. Nuts and bolts mid, not flashy but an accumulator.

Maybe doesn't have as much upside as to why Lions let him go?

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
This is the pick I am excited about.

Could be the one to make a debut next year.

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Maybe doesn't have as much upside as to why Lions let him go?

the academies are just like the rest of the world. blokes in charge who look in the mirror and think 'I really dont know what I'm doing'. And often they are right.

Reactions: 4 users

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
if one of (hope both) make the grade then there is a 2022-23 story in the making on how the Lions let the kids slip from their grasp. Lets hope we see something like this written up soon.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
i am really happy that we have learned another solid lesson in 2019. Of course there is the glaring resilience in response to adversity lesson, but within this is also the demonstrated ‘if this young fella can go this far while not being supported properly , what will he be able to achieve in a supported, professional system‘ lesson. We have applied this to our draft picks this year, particularly with the academy blokes we robbed. I recon Brizzy and the Saints just don’t have the elite development systems we do and saw deficiencies rather than valuing talent and seeing opportunity. The most illustrative pick for me is That of Martyn. i am no draft guru and the vision seems to show a tough inside mid With skills. Nothing flashy, nothing really stands out to me. But why take him? There were a number still on the board who went through the private school Victorian sausage factory. The resilience and determination to consistently gather 30+ disposals and high contested numbers in a team getting flogged every game says alot. We again went to the draft with a mutated rating system. Time will tell how this will go and I was initially pissed off we didn’t grab the names on the phantom draft lists I was into but we are playing from a different book now with a different agenda. It is pretty exciting to see our club continually evolve and back its own systems without second guessing. It’s the revolution!

Reactions: 3 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
i am really happy that we have learned another solid lesson in 2019. Of course there is the glaring resilience in response to adversity lesson, but within this is also the demonstrated ‘if this young fella can go this far while not being supported properly , what will he be able to achieve in a supported, professional system‘ lesson. We have applied this to our draft picks this year, particularly with the academy blokes we robbed. I recon Brizzy and the Saints just don’t have the elite development systems we do and saw deficiencies rather than valuing talent and seeing opportunity. The most illustrative pick for me is That of Martyn. i am no draft guru and the vision seems to show a tough inside mid With skills. Nothing flashy, nothing really stands out to me. But why take him? There were a number still on the board who went through the private school Victorian sausage factory. The resilience and determination to consistently gather 30+ disposals and high contested numbers in a team getting flogged every game says alot. We again went to the draft with a mutated rating system. Time will tell how this will go and I was initially pissed off we didn’t grab the names on the phantom draft lists I was into but we are playing from a different book now with a different agenda. It is pretty exciting to see our club continually evolve and back its own systems without second guessing. It’s the revolution!
Good post!
Since '17 one of the main changes the Club & Coaches made was "focus on what they can do noit what they can't do" & the rest thus far is history.
Another point is all the media have written articles on us since the Flag trying to nail the 1 thing we have done that was the difference when it's the whole system of the Club across the board. No1 seems to understand it & hence while we keep doing things no1 else understands they shouldn't really be able to get near us. All of the kids we drafted suit the way we play.
System beats talent every time.

Reactions: 1 users