Welcome Will Martyn | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Will Martyn

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Actually had a mate who is not an AFL supporter and his only interest in AFL is that I support Richmond. He was on holidays recently and rang up to say he had met a guy by the name of Danny Daly. The conversation got around to what each other did and my mate sparks up with Richmond went well this year. To which Daly stated that they - Brisbane - thought they were a big chance to beat Richmond and win the whole thing. My mate knew enough to question this and said Daly was adamant that they were that good.

Interesting to watch how they go next year as I expect they will need to improve by some margin to stay playing at the top end

One out of the box little tiger.
There are 6-7 teams better then Brisbane

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Actually had a mate who is not an AFL supporter and his only interest in AFL is that I support Richmond. He was on holidays recently and rang up to say he had met a guy by the name of Danny Daly. The conversation got around to what each other did and my mate sparks up with Richmond went well this year. To which Daly stated that they - Brisbane - thought they were a big chance to beat Richmond and win the whole thing. My mate knew enough to question this and said Daly was adamant that they were that good.

Interesting to watch how they go next year as I expect they will need to improve by some margin to stay playing at the top end

We beat them by 8 goals on their home deck.
Thats us vs them in the 2001 preliminary. Not even close
Danny Daly and the pensioner will realise it next year when they're fighting to stay in the 8.

Reactions: 1 user

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane

Daly is a mate of a mate of mine up here. My mate gets regular invites into the Lions rooms etc. Daly still has a soft spot for the tiges. I think there is no doubt they peaked a few weeks early (wins against Bulldogs and Geelong). They were looking good then. But I reckon they fall back a bit next year

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Lions peaked too early IMO.

Their new acquisitions definitely have them in the right direction though.

Letsroar

Tiger Matchwinner
May 19, 2014
They are a danger next year. There key position players are young and will be better. They questions are the loss of Hodge influence with no runners and the harder draw

Reactions: 3 users

The Lurker

In Victory We Thrive, Eat Em Alive
Nov 24, 2003
Melbourne
Lions mate has seen a little bit of the Academy kids and was suprised they drafted Coleman ahead of him, he believes Martyn to be the better prospect.

Reactions: 3 users

BrisTiger24

Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Lions mate has seen a little bit of the Academy kids and was suprised they drafted Coleman ahead of him, he believes Martyn to be the better prospect.

They didn't have a choice really, they had to respond to Dodoro''s bid for Coleman first. They will learn to judge based on who is bidding. From now on, if Bummers bid, let them go, they're probably duds. Had they let Coleman go, they could have matched for Cumberland or Martyn

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014

If you can regularly get 30+ disposals you must have some sort of ability. Means you are getting in the right spots and that's a talent that's hard to teach. Can it translate to AFL level? I am quietly confident. I think though pretty much all of our draft picks will require some development time in the reserves this time around.

BrisTiger24

Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
I watched the first half of the NAB league game between the Lions academy and GWS academy.

Only one game and question the quality but gee Martyn stood out for me. Reminds me of a young Simon Black, he has that time and space and just looks smooth on the field. Let's hope he can translate it to AFL. FWIW, Cumberland looked ok too but Martyn stood out more in that game

Reactions: 7 users

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
If you can regularly get 30+ disposals you must have some sort of ability. Means you are getting in the right spots and that's a talent that's hard to teach. Can it translate to AFL level? I am quietly confident. I think though pretty much all of our draft picks will require some development time in the reserves this time around.
fair enough; there's some currently favoured premiership players in the troupe!

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Lions peaked too early IMO.

Their new acquisitions definitely have them in the right direction though.

They should've got a harder draw even though they get 8 free points against the Suns.

Don't underestimate the damage that the 2 beatings we gave them back to back may have caused, and Hodge aint out there to coach them on field.

They will be contenders and should finish in the 8 but I have the RFC, the Eagles, Skunks, Gee Whizz and Doggies ahead of them come September at the MCG.

Their forward line is not good enough right now unless they come on a few gears this pre season especially if Cameron aint scoring.

Mc Stay is more a key defender imo and Hipwood is still not the impact key forward that they need him to be.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Was trying to think of a player who he reminds of at first glance.

Seem to have time and vision which are signs of a good player, and if he finds the footy thats also another tick.

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
us
Good post!
Since '17 one of the main changes the Club & Coaches made was "focus on what they can do noit what they can't do" & the rest thus far is history.
Another point is all the media have written articles on us since the Flag trying to nail the 1 thing we have done that was the difference when it's the whole system of the Club across the board. No1 seems to understand it & hence while we keep doing things no1 else understands they shouldn't really be able to get near us. All of the kids we drafted suit the way we play.
System beats talent every time.
I agree with most of this except the last line. BOTH system and talent produce Premierships.
A lot is said about our winning system but we have a long list of talented players apart from the 'big 4' ...
Edwards - AA in 2018 and perhaps Caddy should have been (according to Konrad on p.27 S&B...another fantastic book);
Grimes and Houli - both AA in 2019 and Houli stiff not to be NS medallist in 2017 GF;
Prestia - AA squad 2019, Jack Dyer medallist in a Premiership team;
Kane Lambert - runner-up in JDM this year and most-tagged tiger in 2018;
Vlastuin - one of AFL's best defenders and of course Tom Lynch and Alex Rance were former AA team members.
So at least 13 of our best 22 are genuine stars of the AFL who make the system work so well.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Still reckon Martyn is the most likely out of the new bunch to see AFL action first.