What does everyone want from the rest of the season? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What does everyone want from the rest of the season?

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Should we lose all our games to get good draft picks? Win some games and finish 10th?
Delude ourselves into thinking we can still make the eight and dead set hallucinate that we can win a grand final?

No matter what our purpose is in the remainder of the games we have, I personally think its time to introduce Jay Schulz and Marty McGrath.

WE SHOULD NOT:
see Pettifer, King, Biddiscombe or Houlihan get another game in the firsts this season.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
IMO you have to go all out to win every game you play in. But for the remainder of the season I'd like to see guys like Hyde, Dragga, MacGrath and to a lesser extent Schulz being given a go at the expense of guys like King Biddiscombe Nicholls Pettifer etc...

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I'm starting to think what I'd like best from this season is for it to be over.
Bring on 2004. :'(

Delude ourselves into thinking we can still make the eight and dead set hallucinate that we can win a grand final?

If I waited till tomorrow to reply to this I'd choose that option. Ok maybe having flashbacks from another lifetime, ha. Sometimes hallucinations are better than reality. ;D

I don't believe in tanking games. I hope the Tiges win every single game, but never lose track of things that obviously need changing at the end of the year.

Personally, I'd like to see Richo play like he did the last few rounds last year ( maybe he should come up for contract renewal at the end of every season ;))
That's because Richo on fire makes it worth the travel to see games.

I hope Hyde gets as much chance for the rest of the year as Pettifer has had.

I'd say play the kids, but sadly we don't really have many options in that department.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
promote Kel Moore and Shir from the rookie list and let them burst onto the scen for a few games... let's face it Shir can play and will be back from injury in the next few weeks... and Kel Moore despite being slender apparently has no problems finding the footy and putting his body on the line. Time and again we see these type of players be given an oppurtunity at other clubs and do well atleast for a few games.... so why not.. after all those injuries and poor form, be a bit more active in trying things like the above?

IMO Hyde probably isn't up to it... but deserves to be given a chance, after all he may be part of the future, but guys like Bidders and King obviously won't.
Anyway all that aside.... what the hell is Beck's obsession with left-footers all about? Everyone knows although generally highly skilled that they are more often than not also very one dimensional in that they can only kick with their trust left boot.

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
I'd certainly give *smile* and McGrath a run.
Also try a few positional changes. Put Richo in the half backline, Newman in the middle, Hilton in Siberia and Biddiscombe, Pettifer, Houlihan and King in Baghdad (cause they're used to bombs there!) ;D

Time to experiment and see what happens. At least we'll either win a couple or contiue losing and pickup the early draft pics. Either way we won't die wondering.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Simply it is time to put the list to the test so that informed decision can be made at years end.

Give the guys a go who are borderline. We know what those who have been given the chance can (or more importantly can't) do so lets move on.

We now have nine games to sort out who should be a tiger come 2004.

But I do think that MILLER is the man who will ensure that the players are put under the scrutiny they deserve.

If I am wrong I will be bitterly disappointed like the others on this list, but I am at least prepared to give him his opportunity.

Go Tigers

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Your'e all missing the point - Frawely is the one that desperately needs to go.

SkiddyMcGhee

Us and Them, Over and Over again
Jan 29, 2003
Sandringham, Melbourne
- A Powerball jackpot will do nicely!!

- No more games for King, Biddiscombe, Hyde to start with,
- Richo to play between wing and HFF,
- Holland and Draga to play every game,
- Krakouer to win goal of the year,
- Blumfield to show his wares,
- Schulz to play a few games,
- If we dont win another game this year, I dont care as long as beat both Essendon and Collingwood
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Laff

September showers
Dec 19, 2002
For that dud to rsign now and give them the rest of the season to head hunt someone.......the fact that Coghlan was their best player with 20 possesions is a joke, to me thats not enough of the ball for someone who plays midfield

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Consise and informative Laffs. I think its 9 interstate games in a row weve lost. And from hearing Richo speak on channel 9 this morning, 10 is coming quickly.
Time to start headhunting now Miller. I'd rather see Mark Harvey or Gary Odonnell get the job than the incumbant incompetant.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Here here diggler - approach Sheedy and if he's not interested start interviewing Wallace, Lambert, O'Donnell, Harvey etc. and sign up any of them that are inerested.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Prospective coaches in order of preference:

1. Sheedy
2. Wallace
3. O'Donnell
4. If we have to go here we'll end up with another Frawley.

gdbarrett

Some more New-men please.
Jun 18, 2003
Albury
All is not lost this season - a finals birth is still on offer and it's avery even comp. When it's line ball play the kids, but only on merit.

I think the jury is still out on Frawley, as we've had a tough run with injuries and it's difficult to determine if it's the player not following instructions.

- Make the finals - beat Collingwood.
- Holland and Dragga play's the last 9 games.
- Duncan Kellaway shows enough to give him a crack at next year.
- We discover real potential in someone like Coglan last year. Perhaps Hyde or McGrath.
- Richo gets a change of luck and rediscovers his form leading into September.

Richos_girl_

Tiger Cub
Jun 25, 2003
What do I want? I want a premiership. Enough of this finishing ninth crap, enough of these promises, enough of these talks of clean outs.
I want a bloody premiership.
Is it really too much to ask! :mad:

Laff

September showers
Dec 19, 2002
there game plan is laughable I don't even think they have one...their midfield is pitiful....Johnson was the 4th string player in a crack midfield was not worth pick 2...coghlan is their best player but only gets around 20 possesions this shows how they are going...clearly they will not progress under this coach but I think he should do the right thing and chuck it in he prides himself on being an honest man well here is his chance

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
I agree Laff, its a pretty sad indictment on the club that we are lauding midfielders for getting twenty touches.

For a player like Coughlan, twenty touches is ok, considering they are mostly hard earned possessions. But we will never win games with the likes of Kane Johnson getting 15 touches. Granted he was coming back from injury and hurt his back during the game, but he didn't do much before he hurt his back anyway.

We seem to lack any players who are capable of clearing the ball from the centre. I'd hate to see how we would go if we didn't have the form ruckman of the competition at the moment.

I suspect we'll be able to bounce back when Campbell, (the only worthy player we have had in the last 20 years), returns to the midfield, but he is only a short term fix, seeing that he will be gone in a couple of years.

We need some up and comers who are capable of clearing the pill and more importantly capable of getting their hands on the footy 20-25 odd times a game consistently.

Newman looks a pretty crafty player, however he is yet to show that he is capable of getting the big stats in the middle or that he is capable of doing it consistently.
Same goes for Rodan. We can all but forget about the likes of Fiora or Pettifer becoming midfield guns. Bowden gets plenty of the ball but consistently feeds the opposition team.

Unless we unearth a Paul Haselby or an Adam Simpson pretty soon, Richmond will be in big, big trouble when Campbell leaves.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
JohnF said:
Campbell, (the only worthy player we have had in the last 20 years),

There is a punchline hey John? :rollin

If you could take Campbell and add the skill of Knighter and Leon, the decision making of Brodder and Knighter, the toughness of Scott Turner, the pace of Tivva, the heart of the Kellaways etc you might have our most worthy player.

I'm not knocking Campbo at all, but you've taken it a bit far.

His kicks have often gone via the moon, he is not immune to turnovers or poor decisions and he actually feeds off others work.

I know we need that type of player, but a receiver is only as good as his team mates doing the dirty work make him.

Our "only" worthy player? ? ? :eek:

Laff

September showers
Dec 19, 2002
Johnson was allowed to roam free early in the season without a tag, now he can't shake them..........and as I said while coghlan might have potential following the ball around all day and getting 20 possesions is not good enough

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
rosy3 said:
There is a punchline hey John?
roll.gif

If you could take Campbell and add the skill of Knighter and Leon, the decision making of Brodder and Knighter, the toughness of Scott Turner, the pace of Tivva, the heart of the Kellaways etc you might have our most worthy player.

I'm not knocking Campbo at all, but you've taken it a bit far.

His kicks have often gone via the moon, he is not immune to turnovers or poor decisions and he actually feeds off others work.

I know we need that type of player, but a receiver is only as good as his team mates doing the dirty work make him.

Our "only" worthy player? ? ? :eek:

Ha! Yeah i had to drop it in, just for effect. I was being polemic Rosy. I'm pissed off at how we are travelling and I'm pissed off that Campbell has been injured the last two months. No he isn't the only worthy player on our list in the last 20 years, but he is the best by a long, long way.

If I must force an argument, then here I go. Do four best and fairests and 3 runner ups and a third mean anything to you? He would have won it again this year if he wasn't injured and probably would have won it in 2000 if he wasn't injured.

Tell me, does Scotty Turner boast anything resembling a similar record? How about Brodders, how about the Kellaways, Tivendale or the infamous Knighter? The runs are on the board as far as i'm concerened.

Wayne has been holding down fort in the midfield for ten plus years, and in his absence we have been exposed like 8mm film for the duds that we are. Coughlan and Johnson are good players, but the fact that we are just about last in clearances in the league speaks volumes for where we are at, and makes it laughable given that we have the best ruckman around at the moment.

Talk that Campbell is a receiver is also rediculous. He is the only one at the club with an inkling of a clue on how to get the ball out of the center and without him we have been murdered.

Like I said, if we don't get anyone to replace him, look forward to about 3 or 4 years coming last after he retires.