What does everyone want from the rest of the season? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What does everyone want from the rest of the season?

Laff

September showers
Dec 19, 2002
He was a Tiger supporter and would not have gone anywhere else. The tigers could have played a bit more hard ball instead they lifted their skirt before they were asked to dance. I think he is not a bad player but he is not a gun far from it. Agree averages under 20 possesions a game not good enough the gun midfeilders of the comp get 25 and don't get into the best players

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Your informative posts send a shiver down my spine Laffs.
Alas, I dont agree on this one. Maybe they gave away to much for Johnson, but if we had of missed out on him, you ferals would of gone beserk. He isnt our problem. The problem is the jerks running our club, wasting good draft picks on washed up duds like Hudson, Fleming and Nicholls.

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
A couple of facts for you Laff:

- We did try to play hard ball and offered the Crows our 2nd pick plus Torney. Club wanted to keep first pick (which was number 4 at that stage) to draft Salopek. Crows needed an early pick to trade to Roos for Carey. Geelong were very keen and offered pick 9 and he was happy to play there. We need tough midfielders who go in and get the footy so we traded pick 4 which ended up being pick 2 after the AFL got involved with Carlton's penalty. I'm rapt we got him and I know of many Crows supporters who can vouch that he is a quality player

- I would rather he average 20 possesions and use all of them rather then get 30 and turn the ball over. It's not quantity its quality.

- The club has clearly struggled in the midfield for the last couple of seasons. So when a dual premiership player in the prime of his career is available I have got no problem with drafting him. We did the same thing with Brodders in 94 and he gave us 6 -7 years of great service, Johnson will be the same. If we didn't go after him, there would be an uproar as to why we didn't- you can't make everyone happy but I'm sure most Tiger fans are rapt to have him playing for us. There's only negativity when we are losing, when we were winning earlier this season, everyone loved him (check the votes on the Votes thread and have a look for yourself)

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
you guys say what you like but im sticking to my guns that frawleys is the ONLY problem at the richmond football club!!!!!! Even the commentators on saturday said it. The tigers have a great list of players but they just need to start playing as a team!!! NOW whos job is that?????

Now all you campbell bashers (rosy3) it wouldnt be a coincidence that since campbell has been out cogs and johnson arent as effective???

Coughlan is a good gutsy player with a bright future, BUT not in superstar status yet. Many people say but he gets tagged now, just look at a bloke called Judd!!! Im sure he gets tagged week in week out but continually blows the opposition away. Now thats a superstar!!!!

We must rid oursleves of this disease called frawley, before its too late. We are running out of time and this guy is only destroying our club as he clearly is just not up to it. Everytime the camera zooms on him you can tell he just doesnt have the answers!!! He seems lost when the opposition start rolling us and has no idea what to do to stop it.

Throw everything at sheedy and than go for wallace and the rest. This crap that no ones wants to coach us is a myth. If we cant get sheeds or wallace, one of those mentioned earlier lambert, harvey, odonnel will make great coaches.

Have i mentioned seeing frawley, richo, loewe and miller in richos bar sinking down the beers after a loss and having a good old chuckle!!!!! Seems like frawley has brought that st kilda culture down to tigerland, were win lose or draw, aslong as the beer tastes good who cares!!!!

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
I agree Boss. Johnston is a gun. Not in the Buckley class, but better than any midfielder weve had since Weightman. The club decided to get him at all costs and I support them on this one.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
frawleyudud said:
you guys say what you like but im sticking to my guns that frawleys is the ONLY problem at the richmond football club!!!!!! Even the commentators on saturday said it. The tigers have a great list of players but they just need to start playing as a team!!! NOW whos job is that?????

Now all you campbell bashers (rosy3) it wouldnt be a coincidence that since campbell has been out cogs and johnson arent as effective???

Coughlan is a good gutsy player with a bright future, BUT not in superstar status yet. Many people say but he gets tagged now, just look at a bloke called Judd!!! Im sure he gets tagged week in week out but continually blows the opposition away. Now thats a superstar!!!!

Don't the second and third paragraphs here contradict the first one ???. If Danny (ie. the coach) is the ONLY problem as you say (heard that a few times in the last 20-25 years) then having Cambo back or Judd or whoever shouldn't make a difference in your view. Can't have it both ways.

To say we have a great list of players is laughable IMO. I would agree we now have a good to very good core group but the last 6-8 players in our side aren't up to AFL standard and continually let us down and/or don't carry their share on the park.

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
i agree with you boss but the big mistake we made was we didnt play all our kids at the end of last year guaranteeing a priority pick we could have traded our first pick for johnson and still got wells with the priority pick also we might have found out what some of the kids have got

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
frawleyudud said:

doesnt say much for our midfield depth dors it

smasha

Richmond Forever
May 23, 2003
Bundoora
Weightman was an absolute superstar along with Maurice rioli(my personal fav player) who if he played now would eat Dean Rioli alive.
We don't have those players at the club now.

*smile* just look at the whole 1980 premiership team.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Here here FUD - your knowledge of the game is second to none.

Frawely is our biggest problem. Also we lack depth and we lack youngsters coming through - otherwise we do have a good core.

IMO the best scenario for next year is to appoint Wallace or O'Donnell, get rid of the dead wood and trade Richo for a first and 2nd/3rd draft pick, and trade a Fiora, Hilton, Petifer for a further couple of 2nd/3rd round draft pick. This could mean we could potentially have 2 first round picks, 2 second round picks, 2 third round picks, and a fourth round pick. That's approx. 7 picks in the first 55 or so draft picks. We need to start heading in the right direction instead of persisting with no-brains frawely and his band-aid solutions.

OMH

Tiger Cub
Jan 4, 2003
I just want to see Richo played further up the ground and let him win possessions on the wing or up around CHF and let him kick long toward goal or long ot Ottens or Stafford (whoever is resting down there at the time). Also would like to get a little evaluation time into Schulz too.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Laff said:
Don't agree Gus everyone knew Carlton was gone it was common knowledge and at the end of the day they gave up pick 2 for a 4th string midfielder who would have gone to Richmond anyway...as usuall the smart ones being North picked up pick 2 for a washed up wife stealer well done North .......you lose again Tigers

No everyone knew they breached the salary cap, but no one knew what the penalty would be and to second guess the AFL is frought with danger.

The Boss said:
I would hardly call Johnson "a 4th String midfielder" Laff. Go and watch the 97 and 98 Grand Finals where Johnson would have won the 98 Norm Smith medal if it wasn't for a freak called McLeod and was in the top 5 players in the 97 GF. And no, he would have gone to Geelong who were offering pick 9 if we didn't give our first pick.
It's widely acknowledged in the football world that the guy is a gun.I think we've got plenty of other duds to bag, Johnson's one of our best players, the problem is he needs more support in the midfield.

Boss you are a breath of fresh air

diggler said:
Your informative posts send a shiver down my spine Laffs.
Alas, I dont agree on this one. Maybe they gave away to much for Johnson, but if we had of missed out on him, you ferals would of gone beserk. He isnt our problem. The problem is the jerks running our club, wasting good draft picks on washed up duds like Hudson, Fleming and Nicholls.

Diggler yet again I am forced to agree with you. maybe it is the aura of that avatar that is effecting me

A couple of facts for you Laff:

- We did try to play hard ball and offered the Crows our 2nd pick plus Torney. Club wanted to keep first pick (which was number 4 at that stage) to draft Salopek. Crows needed an early pick to trade to Roos for Carey. Geelong were very keen and offered pick 9 and he was happy to play there. We need tough midfielders who go in and get the footy so we traded pick 4 which ended up being pick 2 after the AFL got involved with Carlton's penalty. I'm rapt we got him and I know of many Crows supporters who can vouch that he is a quality player

- I would rather he average 20 possesions and use all of them rather then get 30 and turn the ball over. It's not quantity its quality.

- The club has clearly struggled in the midfield for the last couple of seasons. So when a dual premiership player in the prime of his career is available I have got no problem with drafting him. We did the same thing with Brodders in 94 and he gave us 6 -7 years of great service, Johnson will be the same. If we didn't go after him, there would be an uproar as to why we didn't- you can't make everyone happy but I'm sure most Tiger fans are rapt to have him playing for us. There's only negativity when we are losing, when we were winning earlier this season, everyone loved him (check the votes on the Votes thread and have a look for yourself)

Boss now your are truly becoming a breath of fresh air to the PRE.

frawleyudud said:

Have i mentioned seeing frawley, richo, loewe and miller in richos bar sinking down the beers after a loss and having a good old chuckle!!!!! Seems like frawley has brought that st kilda culture down to tigerland, were win lose or draw, aslong as the beer tastes good who cares!!!!

Maybe that is because the WCE has had pretty much their full midfield in all year, like COUSINS, KERR and CO that have attracted equally as good a tags.

It may have been a different story if we had had CAMPBELL, COGS, BLUMFIELD and JOHNSON in all year.

Still the beers story worries me and I hope that you can back that up. Still many problems have been solved over a beer in the past

God that took along time to put that together. Bit like Danny's game plan hey Harry

Laff

September showers
Dec 19, 2002
Time will tell on this one but I beleive he was overated and had a lot of injuries over the years

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
to all you johnson knockers.you all have no idea.what we need is all 3[jono,cougs and cambo] to play at the sametime.you know a bit like at the start of the year. ::).

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
FUD, you said...

"Throw everything at sheedy and than go for wallace and the rest. This crap that no ones wants to coach us is a myth. If we cant get sheeds or wallace, one of those mentioned earlier lambert, harvey, odonnel will make great coaches."

How do back this comment up? We were rejected by all the major prospective coaches in the lead-up to Frawley's appointment. Even Ken bloody Judge turned us down. Peter Schwab did the same and he even used to work at Punt Rd as an assistant. Bomber Thompson explicitly identified the culture of sacking coaches as the reason he wouldn't go to Richmond.

The catch 22 is that we may have winded up with a 2nd rate coach (Frawley), but your solution (sack him) is the very reason we ended up with him.

Many of your points are good - but don't get carried away with the hyperbole and exclamation mark button. This is a serious problem for Richmond, not a myth.

I don't think we can sack Spud yet. He must be given the 5 years full term. If then we are still hopeless then yes, we can let him go, and have a good shot at the best coaching talent available.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I know Spuds contract was extended before it was due, was that in 2001 or 2002.

I wonder if off field changes at the club, and the fact that Spud has had a fair chance will make prospective coaches look more kindly on us next time a coaching position becomes vacant.