What's Dusty worth? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What's Dusty worth?

Using the scale of recent trades, what's Dusty worth?

• TWO first round picks

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • TWO top-end first round picks (say, both are top 10 selections)

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • The first ever THREE first round pick trade

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • TWO first round picks plus ONE second round pick

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • TWO first round picks plus TWO second round picks

• Straight swap for a gun (e.g. Bontempelli, Fyfe, Cripps or Kelly)

• Can't bear the thought of it... off to read the next thread!

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • Cheese sandwich

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Absolutely, utterly priceless

Votes: 25 40.3%

• Total voters

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
He is not tradable because he is the hero of a whole generation of youngsters who see him as an enormous part of being a tiger supporter. You just don’t trade players like that. He is Royce Hart, Richo and Jack Dyer like. You don’t take risks with marquees like him.
But he is 28 and has 5 years left on his contract but then again he in his prime and also may play in a couple more premierships.

Reactions: 2 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Dodorodo has just enquired about Dusty.
Dodorodo has put up Rammanakas and Laycock up for a trade.
Richmond is considering the offer.:p

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
17 clubs must be smashing there heads against the wall,
They coukdve had him when he wanted out and No one showed any interest in him.
Booohooo

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Hard to believe this modern day great could so easily have been out the door in 2013.

Some great quotes in this article...
  1. “We took up the invitation to meet with Martin and his manager Ralph Carr and showed them around our new training facility and SKODA Stadium, but we have made a decision not to pursue further discussions,” GWS football manager Graeme Allan said yesterday.
  2. It came after Melbourne, Carlton, North Melbourne, St Kilda and Collingwood also turned their backs on the midfielder, making it almost certain he will have to go back to Richmond.
  3. St Kilda head of football Chris Pelchen was similarly emphatic yesterday. “We are approaching the upcoming trade and draft period with a view to strategically building several aspects of our list but Dustin is not a part of any plans we have in place,” Pelchen said.
  4. Richmond has withdrawn its most recent offer, believed to be around $500,000 a year, and re-signed Martin’s teammate Reece Conca who was desperate to stay.
Wow, wow, wow and wow!

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Done, @aoc1974 !

Looking back at the Dev Smith trade, I think the Bombers came out of that OK but the Shiel trade was very, very poor.

To then back that up with the Daniher/Fantasia shemozzles just beggars belief!

Have the sense that club will be mediocre for a very long time.

They had their chance to reinvigorate and re brand the club its list by moving on Joe and Oooorrraaaazziiioooo.

They dropped the ball big on that, and will pay for it when they probably lose both at the end of this season.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
With the break in the season, many of us have been revisiting the old matches and deepening our appreciation for Dusty’s genius (if that’s possible).

A lot of trades in recent years have overvalued the player, in my opinion. But given that's the context we have to work with, what's Dusty worth in comparison?

A factor to consider is his age (28). But against that is undeniable match winning ability and preparation standards that I suspect would make most AFL players blush.

Some recent trades…

• Adam Treloar + GWS Pick #28 (2015) for Collingwood Picks #7 and #65 (2015) and Pick #8 (2016) o_O
• Joe Daniher offer by Sydney Pick #5 and Pick #25 (2019); Essendon refused o_O and requested Pick #5 and Pick #9 (2019) o_Oo_Oo_O — that is if Sydney could have secured Pick #9 from Carlton in the unrealised Tom Papley trade
• Taylor Adams straight swap for premiership player Heath Shaw
• Dayne Beams + Brisbane Picks #41 and #44 (2018) for Collingwood Picks #18 and #56 (2018) plus Pick #18 (2019) o_O
• Lachie Neale + Fremantle Pick #30 (2018) for Brisbane Picks #6, #19 and #55 (2018)
• Devon Smith + GWS Picks #24 (2017) and Pick #38 (2018) for Essendon Picks #11 and third rounder (2018)
• Dylan Shiel + GWS Pick #42 (2019) for Essendon Pick #9 (2018) and Pick #14 (2019) o_O
• Dion Prestia + Pick #24 (2016) for Richmond Pick #6 (2016) and Pick #38 (2017)
• Tim Kelly + Pick #52 via pick swap with Essendon (2019) and third rounder (2020) for West Coast Picks 14, 24, 37 (2019) and first rounder (2020)

For my money, Kelly is the only one on this list who is Dusty's sphere of greatness so the conversation must start at two top-end first rounders.
Dusty would have to be worth a couple of eskys wouldn't he, full of Vodka's of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
When the time comes for me to retire I'll tell the story of the day he toured GWS, it was a very weird day.

Mitch Cleary's account makes it sound like The Merkin was a rank amateur back then. There seemed to cameras tracking Dusty's trip from Melbourne every step of the way. Not sure Dusty would have appreciated being thrust into the spotlight like that.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Mitch Cleary's account makes it sound like The Merkin was a rank amateur back then. There seemed to cameras tracking Dusty's trip from Melbourne every step of the way. Not sure Dusty would have appreciated being thrust into the spotlight like that.

Not sure if it was Leon or someone else that shed more light on the day trip. When asked who his mentors, idols, who he looks up too, they were pretty much all RFC people. GWS decided the kid really didn't want to leave RFC

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Yes it was great wasn't it, did you play the 2 videos attached to the article?
I did. I love the main guy's faux Russian accent. I think he's starting to believe he actually is a Ruski :D

And for 28 random blokes found in a random backblocks pub, the group can really hold a tune. Great stuff.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Today Dusty is priceless for the Tiger faithful but no matter what occurs in the future Dusty will be immortalised along side former greats eg Dyer, Bartlett etc etc.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
29 next month. I'd be asking for pick 1 & 2 if he wanted to leave for any reason. Put him in e.g. Collingwood's side and he might well win them a flag.