When did the AFL start hating Richmond? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

When did the AFL start hating Richmond?

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
A lot of the people running the AFL over the last 20 years grew up when we were dominant. 1967-1980 was a fair run. Just like the run the cats have been on since 2007 and we can all relate to how much we hate them. Maybe in ten years the people running the show might feel sorry for us because they grew up in the 80s and 90s.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Cotch said the 2020 hub got the AFLs back up.
To me the fact the AFL reacted so strongly to our naughty behaviour but not so strongly to other clubs naughty behaviour was more proof they hate us, rather than a reason for hating us.

Reactions: 2 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I believe it was approximately 10,000BC.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
To answer the question for me, winning the 3 Flags is when it started.

Really got up City Hall's nose.
They keep banging on about equalization of comp, the way the draft is structured, salary cap, soft cap etc, etc.
They don't like Dynasty Teams.
Then factor in the 3am Souva gate excursion of Cujo and Syd A Knee during the height of lockdowns/hubs.
Our un-sociable in your face style of footy with guarding the mark etc.

They got the big stick out.
Dynasty over.

Reactions: 1 user

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
May 2, 1908. Our very first game in the then VFL. We won our first game and the establishment still haven’t forgotten or forgiven

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005

1860 - rules ignored to disadvantage Richmond. HCA Harrisson was the Melbourne captain and wrote many of the laws...​

It's baked into the DNA.​

==​

Bouncing the ball​

Rule 6 of the rules drawn up in 1859 state that the ball should be bounced every 10 or 20 yards (9.14 to 18.29 metres). However, in the first few seasons there appears to have been an agreement between the clubs not to allow any running with the ball. This was mainly an attempt to curb H.C.A. Harrison who ran with great speed, carrying the ball Rugby style. Nevertheless, it is known that the agreement was sometimes ignored, such as during the Melbourne v Richmond game on 5 June 1860 and a Royal Park v Melbourne game in 1863. The latter led to the rule about bouncing being more strictly observed. When the rules were redrawn in 1866, the distance between bounces was reduced to a flat 10 yards.

==

Reactions: 3 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
When we raided GCS and started winning Premierships.
We spoilt their expansion by decimating GCS, then beating GWS, twice, in critical matches.

I’d like to agree with you, but I don’t think that’s true. We received fairer fixturing in 2018 and 2019. Cornes still carries on about those consecutive games at the MCG in 2019.

The screwing over didn’t begin until 2020. Maybe the GWS flogging in 2019 was a factor, but the antics in the hub was likely the cause.

The 6-6-6 rule did come in in 2019. Stand rule came in after the 2020 flag. Steve Hocking joined Geelong 12 months later.

I acknowledge the umpiring issue started in 2017, but I reckon a lot of that is our own fault for not standing up to it.

yo_eddy

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 18, 2023
Further to 2020, one get the sense that Geelong thought that flag was *theirs* and we took it from them. Or rather, Dusty did.

I recall an interview with Harry Taylor afterwards, where he basically said as much: Dusty took his flag. Eat sh1t!

It truly warms my heart to think we f*cked with their heads as much as we apparently did. Genghis was right. "The greatest happiness is to vanquish your enemies, to chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth, to see those dear to them bathed in tears, to clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."

So yeah, they changed the rules, got their asterisk flag. But they can't take our three in four years away.

Sorry for the gin-fuelled rant!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Further to 2020, one get the sense that Geelong thought that flag was *theirs* and we took it from them. Or rather, Dusty did.

I recall an interview with Harry Taylor afterwards, where he basically said as much: Dusty took his flag. Eat sh1t!

It truly warms my heart to think we f*cked with their heads as much as we apparently did. Genghis was right. "The greatest happiness is to vanquish your enemies, to chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth, to see those dear to them bathed in tears, to clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."

So yeah, they changed the rules, got their asterisk flag. But they can't take our three in four years away.

Sorry for the gin-fuelled rant!
Very articulate for being gin-fuelled

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I’d like to agree with you, but I don’t think that’s true. We received fairer fixturing in 2018 and 2019. Cornes still carries on about those consecutive games at the MCG in 2019.

The screwing over didn’t begin until 2020. Maybe the GWS flogging in 2019 was a factor, but the antics in the hub was likely the cause.

The 6-6-6 rule did come in in 2019. Stand rule came in after the 2020 flag. Steve Hocking joined Geelong 12 months later.

I acknowledge the umpiring issue started in 2017, but I reckon a lot of that is our own fault for not standing up to it.
The fixtures in 2019 ended up with 7 games at the G, at the expense of a much harder start to the year. That could have backfired and had our season over before we got that benefit.
We played, Collingwood, Melbourne, GWS and Port twice. Carlton was the soft team we played twice.

I think it could have been harder, but the "ease" is overstated too.

yo_eddy

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 18, 2023
My memory is Lynch carried us through those early rounds. He was magnificent, paid for his contract right there.

Reactions: 7 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
My memory is Lynch carried us through those early rounds. He was magnificent, paid for his contract right there.
Remember the Port win in Adelaide? Lynch the boss. Kornes said 'not a hope in hell' would we win. Great memories.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014

They keep banging on about equalization of comp, the way the draft is structured, salary cap, soft cap etc, etc.
Then factor in the 3am Souva gate excursion of Cujo and Syd A Knee during the height of lockdowns/hubs.

Dynasty over.
If this was the case then do the Hawks receive the same animosity?
I dont think so.
Maybe a crap free agent compensation for Budwa. It was by the rules but woeful and imadequate and a slap across the beak. And didnt theAFL enjoy it.
But through all the Clarko and rscism and other issues it doesnt seem that city hall seethes in vitriol at glenferrie.
Theyve won plenty of flags... so it cant just be because we are successful

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Dynasty over.

Yeah, but funny how Geelong could have a dynasty and not get shafted for their trouble.

DS