When was it ours? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

When was it ours?

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Jack's goal from the boundary was probably only when I was 100% confident. Much later than the Adelaide win.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yeah, I reckon Jack's goal. It was a reply to their goal which meant we made sure there was no momentum shift.

31 points was a flattering margin, it was closer than that.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

Jetboy

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2010
Melbourne.....sometimes Broome
Said to my mates a few weeks back that if we can get over Port in the prelim, it won’t matter who we play....we will win!

Was a touch concerned half way thru the second qtr.....but said to my son,our finals series has given us the resolve to get up....only the cheating umps can challenge us......

But knew we had it after Jacks brilliant drop punt from the boundary.....

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I'm still haunted by the loss to the Suns in Cairns, so it was well into the last quarter until I could relax. I need to get over that loss, and have more faith.

Reactions: 3 users

BluesBloke

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2012
Texted a mate at half-time that the Tigers would win - he dismissed it and said the opposite.

I don't think it was a case of simply flicking a switch at the break, getting on top in the second half and winning it. For mine the tide started to turn late in the second quarter. Gryan Miers had a chance well within range, and should have gone back and taken his time with the shot. Instead he rushes, playing on with a kick around the corner. I said right when that happened that that may have been it for the Cats' opportunity to land a significant blow. Not laying the blame squarely on him as to why they lost but if you don't take your chances like that against the comp's best then you'll be made to pay.

When Martin kicked the goal late in term I knew from there the game was done. 15 points down in a grand final at half-time is a lot different to five goals.

Reactions: 3 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
When castagna kicked his goal in the 3rd.
I just thought "Here we go" Repeat of last years prem

Reactions: 1 user

TheCan

Tiger Superstar
Jul 17, 2011
it would of been over when Edwards missed late in third, but it was ours when prestia goaled in the last...I was there, Geelong was broken and spent could not run with us for most of 3rd and in the last we jeez it was like a training drill.

what a team
what a coach
what a club
what a feeling
toyota

• Love

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Who else does the Leith Matthews calculations in their heads lol ? 1 goal per minute

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
3rd quarter, deep in our forward line.

Jack Henry chasing a loose ball looking absolutely petrified, just willing the ball to go over the line....Castagna is coming at him like the express train to Richmond and is going to absolutely bury him.

Ball goes over, Henry looks rattled and Castagna looks filthy. Cats didn't want it.

That's when I knew we'd eat em alive.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
i said to someone at half time , 'we kick the first 2 goals of the 3rd and it's ours'

TygerTyger

oh yeah!
Oct 17, 2006
Richmond
Dusty's goal at the end of the 2nd... thought we'd absorbed their best hits and they hadn't managed to get far enough in front and we were starting to get our groove back (the defence had looked really unsettled with Vlossy)...

That being said, was still stressed senseless until Dusty's last goal

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Who else does the Leith Matthews calculations in their heads lol ? 1 goal per minute

Sort of but within reason - and more so when we‘re in front and wanting to hold on

6 goals in 6 mins is almost impossible but 2 goals in mins is quite gettable
If we’re 3 up with 3 mins to go I really want to retain possession for the next 60 secs

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
Prestia's goal in the last i thought, wow we will be tough from here, but i knew we had it when Jack slotted a ripper through, as another poster said that was directly after a cats goal and thwarted any possible comeback.

Barkdog

Tiger Rookie
May 5, 2004
Bendigo
I said to the old man at half time, we're close enough, we just need to bring the manic pressure that we know the Richmond man has....we reckoned if we saw that manic pressure early in the third they'd begin to stumble, too many hacks in their team that dont like the heat......took about a minute for us both to go, we're on here......

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
Gaz brushes past Balta and kicks to Rohan, drops the mark, the defenders clear the ball. I knew that the guys weren't going to let this one slip after that effort.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
As I tipped "32 points drawing away" on the game day thread, it all went to schedule.

Never in doubt.

Now the truth... I was very worried when Tigga went down, memories of qual. 2019 kept me together. I relaxed only when Dimma threw down the headphones after Dusty's miracle 4th.

(Always thought Port was going to be the hardest game.)

Yeah I thought we would really struggle to cover Vlas. Felt better when I saw Gablett injured at the same time, but Vlas was much more important to our structure. I only relaxed again after Lynch's goal, got a bit nervous when Menegola kicked that long bomb. Then it was happy days.

What a great grand final. Epic.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
For me, the Bulldogs scrambling a draw against us in 2008 after being 19 down with 3:20 to play serves as a benchmark for what is possible.
Talk about bringing the mood down with bad memories. :mad:. You could have also mentioned the Karmichael Hunt game :)

The fact is that most of us are still engrained with the old Richmond scars so we have a residual nervousness about feeling comfortable

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
When Greg-Brian played on & missed from 30 metres in the second quarter, following a couple of other misses, I thought that wa the turning point. They were 3 goals up, playing all over us, but still panicking.