when will lockdown ease-up | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

when will lockdown ease-up

when will lockdown wind up?

• end May

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • end June

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • End July

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • end August

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • end September

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • end 2020

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • later

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Its all a bit rubbery I know. Just pick the closest. And it doesn't have to be complete end of iso and distancing, just life being mostly back to normalish.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I don't really understand what you are asking TS but if it's when life will be closer to normal I'd guess the end of the year at best.

Thats because its really hard to pin down what I'm asking BR. I guess I'm asking when the lockdown rules ease, not necessarily completely, but when we can visit friends and family, got to a pub or restuarant, allowed to go back to our workplace if we work, get your job back if laid off. Its all very vague I know, and the parameters of normal have probably changed for good.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I think all that stuff will happen gradually and with pauses between. As for people getting their jobs back, I worry a lot of those jobs just won't be there any longer.

Dramatising a bit, what jobs won't be there anymore? There will obviously be some but not to the extent that you are indicating in my opinion

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I'm no economist but it would seem to me that it's a long road back for all the businesses that have closed and I'd imagine plenty will never recover.

If the economy takes the hit they are talking about then people won't have the money to spend so plenty more will suffer as well.

Depends who you listen to and whether people actually access the funding available to them. The jobkeeper payment is a very good initiative (albeit with some issues, ie. they are asking for people to pay staff before getting the payment, direct opposite to NZ who paid in advance, which causes issues particularly for small business) but businesses that can make it through the 1st month will generally be fine in Australia bearing in mind our caseload. I expect a lot of businesses will start opening in a phased approach from the end of May.

I think there is a lot of statements coming out that IMO are overly negative (for whatever reason) and that are most likely incorrect.

I have worked on my companies direct response to this (and we are certainly impacted (we are still operating but likely will be down around 60% in May and onwards) with a significant wage bill, but if we manage our cash (and we are) then we will get through this period until we get jobkeeper and then we should be fine from then on in. A lot of other businesses will be in the exact same situation. Remember those long lines at Centrelink were BEFORE the jobkeeper was announced and a lot of those people will quality for jobkeeper.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Thats because its really hard to pin down what I'm asking BR. I guess I'm asking when the lockdown rules ease, not necessarily completely, but when we can visit friends and family, got to a pub or restuarant, allowed to go back to our workplace if we work, get your job back if laid off. Its all very vague I know, and the parameters of normal have probably changed for good.

I reckon weird footy back in July;

working from work and weird restaurants and pubs in August/Sept

But I reckon the next completely normal thing I will do will probably be go to a pretty normal footy game in 2021.

in terms of the economy, Im pretty pessimistic.

I reckon for things to feel 'normal' (employments rates/house prices/disposable income/tax rates/travel/etc etc)

will take a decade, and I reckon it will only feel normal because we've got used to it, not because its returned to how it was before.

I think COVID was the catalyst, not the cause for the global economy to tank. It was always gonna happen one way or another. pandemic, war, fire, pestilence, meteorite?

so yeah

a new normal is an oxymoron,

but we take the point.

The govt runs out of cash and JobKeeper ceases, will be a cliff where we see soup kitchens and swagmen and blokes selling pairs of dressed rabbits in the pub for $5

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I thought it already had by the amount of people out and about since Easter that I've seen whilst working.

Reactions: 1 user

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
Could be sooner as Donald Trump has has been hard at work and already discovered several possible cures/vaccines.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I heard he has made tremendous progress, apparently doing a really great job with lots of smart people helping.

Heard Andrew Rochford on the Project commenting about Trump, was asked about his ideas of injecting the body with disinfectant, and to the horror of the presenters said he actually thought it has some merit, he said its actually a very good method at killing the virus. Killing the human, also kills the virus so it works very well at killing the virus :rotfl2

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I thought it already had by the amount of people out and about since Easter that I've seen whilst working.

Yeah, totally.

I visited my partner's brother today. He needed a few things fixed in his home and can't do it himself. He has MS and eyesight is bad.

He lives near Southland and I drove past: ground level carpark: packed with cars driving around to find a spot.

Anyway, I was trying to fix the back door and I needed a new door mechanism, off to Bunnings on Nepean Hwy. Firstly, car park was again quite full. Line out the front is long. The number of people at Bunnings was more than I normally see on a Sunday when I go there.

I'm not convinced the lockdown is working as well as it was a few weeks ago. Of course, I have been at home mainly for a few weeks so hard to say. I get the feeling people are not staying home as much as they should be at the moment.

DS

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Here's a data driven prediction

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Yeah, totally.

I visited my partner's brother today. He needed a few things fixed in his home and can't do it himself. He has MS and eyesight is bad.

He lives near Southland and I drove past: ground level carpark: packed with cars driving around to find a spot.

Anyway, I was trying to fix the back door and I needed a new door mechanism, off to Bunnings on Nepean Hwy. Firstly, car park was again quite full. Line out the front is long. The number of people at Bunnings was more than I normally see on a Sunday when I go there.

I'm not convinced the lockdown is working as well as it was a few weeks ago. Of course, I have been at home mainly for a few weeks so hard to say. I get the feeling people are not staying home as much as they should be at the moment.

DS

‘at‘ Bunnings or ‘in‘ bunnings?

you think it wrong they are open?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
‘at‘ Bunnings or ‘in‘ bunnings?

you think it wrong they are open?

No, I think it is fine they are open but I also think there are a lot more people out and about when restrictions have not been altered over the last couple of weeks.

But this is the fundamental problem isn't it. Any place which is open allows people to go there. If everybody goes then social distancing is not happening. If people only go sparingly then it works. The very clear impression I got was that people were not going to the shops sparingly. Apart from anything else, what were all those cars doing at Southland? Half the shops there are apparently closed from what I have heard from people who have gone to the supermarket there, so there should be a lot less people at Southland, and at Bunnings.

DS

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
the question is very broad.

- if you're gonna ask me when I think restrcictions will start to decrease in Victoria? I would say June 1.
- if you're gonna ask me when I think footy will return? I would say July 9. But I don't think it should return until people can attend games.
- if you're gonna ask me when I think crowds can return to the footy? Too early to say, but I'm hoping 1 person per every 3-4 seats will allow crowds back earlier than anticipated. Maybe september?
- if you're gonna ask me when I think bars and restaurants will open? I still think we're looking at 5-6 months
- if you're gonna ask me when I think international borders will open? not until 2021, excluding NZ, which may be 3 months.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

- if you're gonna ask me when I think restrcictions will start to decrease in Victoria? I would say June 1.
- if you're gonna ask me when I think footy will return? I would say July 9. But I don't think it should return until people can attend games.
- if you're gonna ask me when I think crowds can return to the footy? Too early to say, but I'm hoping 1 person per every 3-4 seats will allow crowds back earlier than anticipated. Maybe september?
- if you're gonna ask me when I think bars and restaurants will open? I still think we're looking at 5-6 months
- if you're gonna ask me when I think international borders will open? not until 2021, excluding NZ, which may be 3 months.

Seems reasonable.

I reckon international travel apart from NZ might be 2022 unless a vaccine is found.

Full crowds at the footy I reckon 2021.

Partial crowds at the footy, maybe Sept/Oct - here's hoping. I tend towards not having footy until we have a date for small crowds to return. I'm willing to have a few rounds before any crowds return, but there has to be a way for crowds to return in any plan for crowd-less games.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW

Even having a crowd spaced out in a football stadium is going to be light on. If you space it out at the MCG you are not going to get much more than 30/35000, which can still be quite noisy but no where next 70/90000

Bars and restaurants are going to have to think out side the normal here. Maybe the use of the plastic screens will get the eating/drinking area split up into little isolation areas to enable some greater numbers to get in. Then the liberal use of sanitizers and temperature checks

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Even having a crowd spaced out in a football stadium is going to be light on. If you space it out at the MCG you are not going to get much more than 30/35000, which can still be quite noisy but no where next 70/90000

Bars and restaurants are going to have to think out side the normal here. Maybe the use of the plastic screens will get the eating/drinking area split up into little isolation areas to enable some greater numbers to get in. Then the liberal use of sanitizers and temperature checks
plastic screens? rather stay home