Who is our next captain? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Who is our next captain?

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
Just thinking about who are our next group of leaders post Cotchin, Rance, Riewoldt, Edwards, Martin, and specifically who is likely to be our next captain.

Firstly, I think Cotchin should get the job for life, maybe let him have a break from it in his final year, whenever that is.

Let's assume Cotchin is captain 2020 and 2021. In 2022 he will be 32 years old so maybe looking to pass the baton.

At that time, I think the only likely candidates would be:

Nick Vlastuin
28​
Toby Nankervis
28​
Jack Graham
24​
Callum Coleman-Jones
23​
Jack Ross
22​

I cant see anyone in the 25 to 27 year old bracket who would be suitable. The ones over 29, would be considered too old?

Vlastuin and Nank are champion players and blokes, but they seem a bit quiet to be captains. Maybe they can evolve.

Maybe Cotch will have to be captain in 2022 before handing over to the next emerging leader.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
i think first and foremost, we need to work out how long Cotchy will remain as captain? I can see him giving it away in 12 months. not that he needs to, but because he is selfless and will wanna push the next generation of leaders through before his time ends. I would say Grimes.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Flossy/Lynch -> Graham -> ?

I was always in the Flossy for next Captain camp but with Lynch over that might be the next one. He already has experience as a Captain and by all accounts is already performing an onfield leader role.

Haven't seen enough of Ross to back him in but he's a possible.

One thing for sure, some mocked the club when they state they wanted to recruit players as much for their leadership skills as their footballing skills. It's paid off big time and we've got a glut of potential leaders now.

Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Doesn't hurt to forecast who will hold up Premiership Cups 13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20 & 21

Forward thinker is out Baloo. And he's right.

For me it's Vlaustin, Prestia and Lynch fighting for it.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I’m of the belief Cotch will hand the Captancy over at the end of next season, if he does I think Lynch maybe the one, if he goes another year I wouldn’t be shocked if Jack Ross got the gig

iLoVeNeWmAn

RFC - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em
Apr 15, 2003
www.abcsports.com.au
Lynch for mine, if he wants it, which I doubt he does at this stage. Reckon cotch May relinquish the role at the end of 2020...

Vlas more on the shy side off the field and can’t imagine him wanting to front media, etc. Nank a potential option - has presence.

Will be interesting to watch this unfold...no clear standouts at this stage IMO (in the right age bracket) to take us through a 5 year period or so beyond Cotch...

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Skipper Chimp for 2020 , after that we will see, he might want to hoist the cup up 4 times.

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
Cue zips..... “Gary Frangalas. Or griffins”

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

TheCan

Tiger Superstar
Jul 17, 2011
Assuming cotch hands it over for 2022 , i think he has 2 solid years guys !!!

jack graham capt
lynch vice
ross vice