Who was the last player we traded for that made us better? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Who was the last player we traded for that made us better?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
we didn't need to, we were winning flags. And importantly for your question, that means you get low picks which are low currency, and your cap is maxxed out.

What about last year you may ask? We kept our picks and went deep into the draft, as we should have.

You've really framed your question to make sure you get the answer you are after. We traded to flag trio of Caddy, Dion and Nank that was a trading masterstroke, and last year we nabbed Tarrant who is also proving to be a pretty canny trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Being as I think we have only traded in Tarrant since the gold summer of 2016, then there isn't much to compare to. On the plus side, no duds traded in.

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Why don't free agents count?

Tom Lynch would be the number 1 - won us the 2019 flag. Prestia, Nank and Caddy were technically 2016 trades.

But other than Tarrant last year I can't think of anyone in the last 5 years weve traded for. But we've had a premiership winning list and haven't needed to trade for anyone.

Reactions: 2 users

Tiger Ghost

Tiger Superstar
Nov 19, 2010
Your mums house
The problem is who we have traded out, being a premiership side and one that has a dynasty ultimately means you lose depth.

Ellis albeit financial, Higgins, Markov, Butler and Chol would of all come in handy.

Jan 12, 2012
Melbourne
The problem is who we have traded out, being a premiership side and one that has a dynasty ultimately means you lose depth.

Ellis albeit financial, Higgins, Markov, Butler and Chol would of all come in handy.
They would be handy. But none of them wanted to stay unfortunately. All were offered better deals than we could afford because we were up to pussy's bow paying players who were winning us flags. It's the price you pay I guess. Your depth players can only cop sitting in the VFL for so long, which means your developing players who are at the start of their curve need to be your depth players at the same time.
There's a lot riding on the VFL program to get it right when you think about it.

Reactions: 1 user

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
They would be handy. But none of them wanted to stay unfortunately. All were offered better deals than we could afford because we were up to pussy's bow paying players who were winning us flags. It's the price you pay I guess. Your depth players can only cop sitting in the VFL for so long, which means your developing players who are at the start of their curve need to be your depth players at the same time.
There's a lot riding on the VFL program to get it right when you think about it.
If we only had a good development coach for VFL. A nice guy doesn't cut it for me

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Pretty sure we traded in Caddy, Nank and Prestia, and they were pretty handy and instrumental in 3 flags.

Traded in Towner as well now I think of it, and he was instrumental in the 2017 flag too.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Gary Rohan ;)
Heh Heh Heh poor bloody Moggies. Traded in the likes of Clenchman, Men of Rohan, the Doll house, Plastic Jezza, Isaac Smiff, Grandpa Higgins n Jerker Jenkins in recent years, all with the view of filling a list need to win them another flag. Haaaarrrrrgggghhh *smile* em.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
WC aren't getting Jackson, therefore Baker will be there no1 priority.
Do we allow them to get him for free through the preseason or do we throw in a 3rd rounder 2022 and ask for Yeo?

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
WC aren't getting Jackson, therefore Baker will be there no1 priority.
Do we allow them to get him for free through the preseason or do we throw in a 3rd rounder 2022 and ask for Yeo?

No way Baker will walk to the PSD. Remember he has to be the one that delists himself. I can't see Bakes doing that to us.

You are all over the place at the moment, another thread you want duds like Chris Burgess, now you want Yeo who can't stay on the field for more than 20 mins per game, and you think we have to through something else in on top.