Who's suffered the longest? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Who's suffered the longest?

Khan

Lets Roar in 2004
Dec 17, 2002
Tigerland
Supporter since I were 4 , so that makes it 35 years, Member since 1987 continuous, including two years OS.

Another western district country bumpkin. Grew up in a family of Bombers, just liked the Tiger I guess. Local team was Ecklin, which were green and yellow. I believe Hexham or Worrando played ion thed Tigers Colors back them. Saturday was going to footy, having a pie while sitting in the car on the fence, coming home and watching the replay.

Lets Roar

Khan

p.s T4F where in the country did you grow up ? A lot of the older posters where from the Western District when we were on RoarPower or TigerFury

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Only 21 years of suffering for me.
I swear i jinxed us. First time i started following the tigers was in 1982 during that grand final as my old man was a Carlton supporter and had to go against him as a 6yo.
Was lucky i guess between 1987-1991 as i lived overseas in Taipei and Bangkok due ot the old mans work so couldnt realyl follow us then but then came back and Mothers Day massacre in 1991 got me back into it.

I continue to dream of a premiership for Richmond.

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
I was born on 1968 and started following the Tigers when I was 4. For my birthday I had asked for a pair of Melbourne socks and my grandmother thaought the Demons would be Black & Yellow so that's what she purchased. Mum didn't want me to upset Nan so she told me that was the team I should follow.

At least I remember 1980 clearly - if Nan had bought the correct socks I'd be wearing a tweed smoking jacket and fondly remembering Robbie Flower as the Demons have had less success than us in the past 30 years.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Age is irrelevant really as there wasn't much suffering before 1982. Would love to live through another period like 70-80 when we really did rule the jungle.

Go Tigers

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
My Dad grew up in Richmond. He has one eye black and one eye yellow. He was born in 1920 and he used to tell me stories about Dyer, Fraser, Titus, Strang, Bentley & Co. He used to talk about how as a kid you wouldn't want to get caught in Collingwood wearing the tiger colours, of the fights and the pride in the club. I grew up hearing all these stories about the tigers. I think I was born black and yellow. My boyhood idol was Royce Hart. I remember the heart ache of '72, the sheer joy of '73 & '74. My greatest joy of thumping Collingwood in 1980 by a then biggest margin, the agony of '82 especially against Carlton (hate them almost as much as Collingwood) and since then the frustration & anger at the ineptness of our leaders to build a decent team. God how I long for the messiah to come along and lead us back to the glory days. Yes a messiah because the tigers are my religion.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Claw you are a man after my own heart.

You would make a great spiritual leader at the club. maybe you should get on down to Punt Road and inspire a bit of emotion in the place.

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Alright Tiga, if you insist. Saw first game in 1972 and went to 73/74/80/82 grand finals. Thus my later years have been a letdown! I currently sponsor a player and my name is on someones locker at Punt Rd. Alas I will not name that player for fear of reprisals ;D

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
No way Tiga. I only sponsor tuff players. And its definately not Duncan. I want someone who is long term ;D

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Diggler, why does a player who at a minimum earns around $50,000 dollars for keeping fit and chasing a leather ball around a paddock need sponsorship?

I suppose that inner city unit and flash sports car don't come cheap or maybe its all those illegitimate children requiring maintainence checks every month. ;D

The last thing and AFL footballer needs is more money.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Born late 1979 and as a young tacker I just used to go to the footy with my old man, who was and still is a mad Collingwood feral. But I never really caught the Collingwood vibe.

I got to barracking for Richmond mainly through the admiration i had for Dale Weightman. By the late 80's I was playing footy myself as a rover, and I tried to model my game around that of Flea's. I loved watching him go in the state of origin matches, and from that I got to supporting him at Richmond and since then have been supporting the Tiges in general.

Omarkum

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 19, 2003
I was just about to post this question myself.. so thanks for getting the ball rolling for me Richo's girl.
My Father played reserves back around 1950.He and his father had followed them passionately all their lives...which means my family has been following the mightie's since at least the turn of the century...last century that is.
The first game I can remember is around 1958 as a 5 year old, sitting on my dads shoulders behind the Punt road goal. It was against Essendon and as my memory has it we won by 3 points. I can still see the day and remember Ron Branton intercepting a pass deep in goal in the dying seconds. We used to go to training and all the practice matches through the 60's ...I remember Des Rowe as coach The arrival or Len Smith... Kevin Smith and his 86 yard drop kick ... I can still smell the linament in the rooms...I was there and remember them all...I love Richmond and anyone who has played for them or loves them ....
I want a flag before Jack goes.

tiggytam

Welcome to Tigerland
May 1, 2003
Melbourne
36 years for me, I think I was around 7. I came from Tasmania and my dad was a Carlton supporter, my mum a St Kilda supporter. My first recollection of Richmond Football Club was seeing the huge banners around the ground at the MCG on our black and white telly. No-one else in our family was Richmond, so it had to be those banners. Since then I have converted an aunty, a cousin and my 7 yr old nephew who is the only Tiger member in a family of 5 St Kilda supporters. (Parents aren't impressed) Ha Ha!!!

I am living in Richmond at present, who would have thought it all those years ago.