Why 3-4 more flags are possible (the Dimnasty) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Why 3-4 more flags are possible (the Dimnasty)

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Our biggest list challenge over the next two years will be replacing Cotchin and Riewoldt. You can bet the experts will write us off when those sad farewells occur.

But reports of the death of our midfield, forward line and premiership chances will be greatly exaggerated. In fact, when you consider a) the system and b) the players we are developing in reserve and c) the looming prospect of our next free agent(s) things get a little scary if you are not in any way associated with Richmond.

First, the system. We all know the drill - know your role, know your movement, support your mates, relish mistakes, celebrate difference, worship the contest, compete till the end. It is the most finals proof system the competition has ever seen. A third of the team can have off nights and we still win. Dimma and his assistants have developed some truly special IP that doesn’t age or diminish with time. Champions can retire but the system remains as fresh as ever. If the best and brightest talents in the industry haven’t cracked the code by now they never will. That one day in September is ours until someone comes up with a better plan or replicates our recruiting model over a period of 5-6 years.

Second, replacing our good players. This will be the area that confounds the “experts” in coming years. How can our midfield, in particular, continue to thrive without Cotch, without Edwards, without top 10 draft picks? First, system-based sides are less vulnerable to waning stars. Second, the idea that we have nothing when Cotch, Titch and Prestia are gone is a furphy. Let us assume the above trio have retired and that Dusty is tearing things up at full forward alongside Lynch. How do we look? Well, we have a midfield dynamo already. Shai Bolton is his name and we didn’t have to trade into a top ten pick to secure him. For a mid 20s pick we have an electric playmaker to replace Cotch. It’s the stuff of nightmares for the traditionalists our there expecting our midfield to fade.

Let’s take a look at our the best 22 might look in 2024:

Mansell Balta Broad
Vlastuin Grimes Short
McIntosh Stack M Rioli Jnr
Castagna Coleman-Jones D Rioli
Baker Lynch Martin
Nankervis Bolton Graham
Soldo Collier-Dawkins Dow Naish

Not so bad, right? Not taking into account two first rounders from this year’s super draft. Now I know what you’re thinking. We are assuming Stack will come good and that Naish is worth persisting with. If these players are top 22, you say, we aren’t winning more flags. Except...

Richmond is the strongest destination club in the land. Culture, development, resources, success, exposure - these are the envy of all. If we are to expect that our staggeringly on-point list management is set to continue, we can expect at least two Tom Lynch style free agents over the next four years. I reckon the first will be Zach Merrett. I don’t have an inside line on this but heard a few things. We’ve been at him for a while and he’d be the perfect recruitment for this club going into 2022. The second free agent will probably be a tall forward. Astbury’s retirement will be relatively easy to cover in the short term but Jack will leave a hole.

So operating under the reasonable assumption that we will add quality over the next three drafts and one or two elite free agents, the likes of Naish, Graham, Stack, Collier-Dawkins, et. al. actually become fringe players in the new order (unless they breakout spectacularly, which is possible).

So, all that said, where does that leave our dynasty? It leaves it unfinished is what it does. The scary thing is I can’t see this ride ending anytime soon. Again - the best system - from recruiting to game plan - this competition has ever seen. Plug and replace, rinse and repeat. Rise and rise again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
If we were to win just this year's flag it would be a staggering achievement.
Even the Hawthorn team of 1983-1991 did not achieve four flags in five years.
The last team to do that was so long ago it was MELBOURNE !!! (1956-1960).

Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Our biggest list challenge over the next two years will be replacing Cotchin and Riewoldt. You can bet the experts will write us off when those sad farewells occur.

But reports of the death of our midfield, forward line and premiership chances will be greatly exaggerated. In fact, when you consider a) the system and b) the players we are developing in reserve and c) the looming prospect of our next free agent(s) things get a little scary if you are not in any way associated with Richmond.

First, the system. We all know the drill - know your role, know your movement, support your mates, relish mistakes, celebrate difference, worship the contest, compete till the end. It is the most finals proof system the competition has ever seen. A third of the team can have off nights and we still win. Dimma and his assistants have developed some truly special IP that doesn’t age or diminish with time. Champions can retire but the system remains as fresh as ever. If the best and brightest talents in the industry haven’t cracked the code by now they never will. That one day in September is ours until someone comes up with a better plan or replicates our recruiting model over a period of 5-6 years.

Second, replacing our good players. This will be the area that confounds the “experts” in coming years. How can our midfield, in particular, continue to thrive without Cotch, without Edwards, without top 10 draft picks? First, system-based sides are less vulnerable to waning stars. Second, the idea that we have nothing when Cotch, Titch and Prestia are gone is a furphy. Let us assume the above trio have retired and that Dusty is tearing things up at full forward alongside Lynch. How do we look? Well, we have a midfield dynamo already. Shai Bolton is his name and we didn’t have to trade into a top ten pick to secure him. For a mid 20s pick we have an electric playmaker to replace Cotch. It’s the stuff of nightmares for the traditionalists our there expecting our midfield to fade.

Let’s take a look at our the best 22 might look in 2024:

Mansell Balta Broad
Vlastuin Grimes Short
McIntosh Stack M Rioli Jnr
Castagna Coleman-Jones D Rioli
Baker Lynch Martin
Nankervis Bolton Graham
Soldo Collier-Dawkins Dow Naish

Not so bad, right? Not taking into account two first rounders from this year’s super draft. Now I know what you’re thinking. We are assuming Stack will come good and that Naish is worth persisting with. If these players are top 22, you say, we aren’t winning more flags. Except...

Richmond is the strongest destination club in the land. Culture, development, resources, success, exposure - these are the envy of all. If we are to expect that our staggeringly on-point list management is set to continue, we can expect at least two Tom Lynch style free agents over the next four years. I reckon the first will be Zach Merrett. I don’t have an inside line on this but heard a few things. We’ve been at him for a while and he’d be the perfect recruitment for this club going into 2022. The second free agent will probably be a tall forward. Astbury’s retirement will be relatively easy to cover in the short term but Jack will leave a hole.

So operating under the reasonable assumption that we will add quality over the next three drafts and one or two elite free agents, the likes of Naish, Graham, Stack, Collier-Dawkins, et. al. actually become fringe players in the new order (unless they breakout spectacularly, which is possible).

So, all that said, where does that leave our dynasty? It leaves it unfinished is what it does. The scary thing is I can’t see this ride ending anytime soon. Again - the best system - from recruiting to game plan - this competition has ever seen. Plug and replace, rinse and repeat. Rise and rise again.
Great post Carts. That team's like the 1974 to the 1967 one.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I think we have quality kids the footy world hasn't seen yet.
Cumberland, Martyn, Cj, Dow and Ralphsmith all will progress through slowly.
Im confident that 2 will become quality players.
Our recruiting has been unbelievable.. im very confident, this CLIFF the media constantly bring up is just never going to happen.
Baker, Mansel, Soldo, Short, Castagna, Stack, Graham are kids.
Good times ahead kids

Reactions: 1 user

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012

Yes, it WILL be a staggering achievement.

Reactions: 1 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
I think we have quality kids the footy world hasn't seen yet.
Cumberland, Martyn, Cj, Dow and Ralphsmith all will progress through slowly.
Im confident that 2 will become quality players.
Our recruiting has been unbelievable.. im very confident, this CLIFF the media constantly bring up is just never going to happen.
Baker, Mansel, Soldo, Short, Castagna, Stack, Graham are kids.
Good times ahead kids
Our recent drafting and development pattern has good reason to say you’re right , a couple or more of those should become qty players . I think there will be a few further changes to the team outlined in OP , more likely players not yet even drafted and where’s Noah Anderson

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Love the optimism but the reality is nothing lasts forever so drink it up.
More worried about when the upper echelon leadership departs, than I am the make up of our best 22.

Reactions: 10 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Love the optimism but the reality is nothing lasts forever so drink it up.
More worried about when the upper echelon leadership departs, than I am the make up of our best 22.
True, but that's why I'm very optimistic that this years draft scenario, if done properly, is the perfect opportunity to set up our future continuation at the top end of the comp.
Rarely does the team that's been dominating the comp get to have such a strong recruiting hand in any draft, never mind what is expected to be an extremely fat draft due to last years cooties hiatus.

We've only just reached the point where a couple of older players will start to fade out of the game over the next few years.
We will still have a very strong core of talented, currently early to mid career players to guide the future generation while still being in their peak careers.
We've got a bunch of very promising youngsters currently debuting and pushing hard to stake their career claims.

Throw in 6 picks in the top 50 of this draft with two being top twenty picks and there's another bunch of talent that we can guide through our VFL system into future players.
While there's obviously never any guarantees. With a snifter of luck and a heap of good management, teams are capable of being thereabouts for a fifteen to twenty year era.
I know we all love to hate the Moggies n hang *smile* on their pensioners n dodgy *smile* players. But they've only missed finals a couple of times since about 2003 or 2004. They might have only got the three flags, the last one now being ten years ago, yet they were still in the Granny last year. The bastards have done a magnificent job of keeping their club in contention year after year while being too old, too slow n ready to fall off the perch. Wish they'd bloody hurry up.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
without getting ahead of ourselves, I don't see why not.
keep up the same quality running of the club and anything can happen.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne

I've been debating this with Hawthron fans on social media. I've been claiming 4 flags in 5 years is the biggest era since Melbourne in the 50's, but Hawthorn fans claim winning 5 flags in 9 years (83-91) tops that.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I've been debating this with Hawthron fans on social media. I've been claiming 4 flags in 5 years is the biggest era since Melbourne in the 50's, but Hawthorn fans claim winning 5 flags in 9 years (83-91) tops that.
The number of teams in the league both then & now would see ours the greatest achievement IF we're fortunate enough for that to happen.
Infinitely more difficult to win Premierships in a the current era of draft concessions, salary caps & expansion franchises.

Reactions: 6 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
This year's Draft is critical to us and having a deep nucleus of talent to replace what we are going to lose over the next 1-3 seasons. I'm not convinced yet by our existing group of younger players sitting under our top 22 to 25. And we certainly have no replacements for JR that's for sure. (And CCJ is NOT a CHF. He can only pinch hit a bit as a KPF otherwise he's a ruckman. Waaaay too slow and lumbering to play as any true and permanent KPF.)

This is a massive Draft for us.

Reactions: 6 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Good draft to be holding multiple picks.

Would we trade Caddy as he seems surplus to needs? A second round pick? or help up grade a pick.

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
Leppa said on the radio that we had 2 or 3 years left in contention

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

I heard that. I think that was purely on the comparison of ages when his Lions fell off the cliff compared to our age. Hopefully we keep refreshing our aging top end talent with comparable younger top end talent. He also said that playing more a system based game could extend our Premiership window.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Leppa, must've been absent when we drafted Dow, Cumberland, Martyn, Ralphsmith, Mansell and Ross.
We have 6 picks under 50 this year.
We are a 'destination' club.
We have Bolton, Graham, Short, Baker, Balta and Soldo all under 25

We have a core of players with drafting and poaching will have us contending till the end of this decade.
Im confident, we have another 2 flags in the next 3 years alone

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Based on the current list structure that would be correct. That is why The current kids need to come on and that is looking increasing likely and then get this year's draft right