Why 3-4 more flags are possible (the Dimnasty) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Why 3-4 more flags are possible (the Dimnasty)

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
The number of teams in the league both then & now would see ours the greatest achievement IF we're fortunate enough for that to happen.
Infinitely more difficult to win Premierships in a the current era of draft concessions, salary caps & expansion franchises.

excellent point

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Leppa, must've been absent when we drafted Dow, Cumberland, Martyn, Ralphsmith, Mansell and Ross.
We have 6 picks under 50 this year.
We are a 'destination' club.
We have Bolton, Graham, Short, Baker, Balta and Soldo all under 25

We have a core of players with drafting and poaching will have us contending till the end of this decade.
Im confident, we have another 2 flags in the next 3 years alone

The kids on the list now do not all have to be superstars. We have to have some that are good consistent grunt footballers. Bolton Balta and Baker are headed to top shelf player status. Would only need a couple others to follow from the current kids and then a couple more from the next few years drafting. Free Agency will get us some of the other superstars

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The kids on the list now do not all have to be superstars. We have to have some that are good consistent grunt footballers. Bolton Balta and Baker are headed to top shelf player status. Would only need a couple others to follow from the current kids and then a couple more from the next few years drafting. Free Agency will get us some of the other superstars
Totally agree, we don't need the superstar / 2 first rounders types.
With smart planning i cant see why we can't challenge for a very long time.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Possibly. North should be looking at him.

At worse we should be able to get a pick upgrade for him.
No chance. His value in this form of the game will be very low.
Im not expecting much if we do trade him.
Pick 54 for Caddy and pick 65

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Totally agree, we don't need the superstar / 2 first rounders types.
With smart planning i cant see why we can't challenge for a very long time.

Nah, I don't agree with that Zippers. Maybe with the exception of Geewhinge and Wells' outstanding record, history shows that teams challenge over a sustained period of time with a decent set of first round/early second round quality as a base. Us: Cotchin, Martin, JR, Edwards. Hawthorn: Franklin, Roughead, Lewis etc. Even Dudbourne now in the frame with Petracca, Oliver, Salem etc. And even Geewhinge, they started their sustained period of competitiveness with Bartel, Kelly, Mackie, Johnson, Lonergan etc. All first round early second picks.

You need first round quality - and success with it - to augment the rest of the list.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
This year's Draft is critical to us and having a deep nucleus of talent to replace what we are going to lose over the next 1-3 seasons. I'm not convinced yet by our existing group of younger players sitting under our top 22 to 25. And we certainly have no replacements for JR that's for sure. (And CCJ is NOT a CHF. He can only pinch hit a bit as a KPF otherwise he's a ruckman. Waaaay too slow and lumbering to play as any true and permanent KPF.)

This is a massive Draft for us.
Yes - these were my exact thoughts when I read Carter’s happy piece. JR will be soo hard to replace and CCJ is nowhere near the level.

But given our revolutionary system based game and our attractiveness to superior free agents - as Carter indicated - we could be up there for a while yet.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Nah, I don't agree with that Zippers. Maybe with the exception of Geewhinge and Wells' outstanding record, history shows that teams challenge over a sustained period of time with a decent set of first round/early second round quality as a base. Us: Cotchin, Martin, JR, Edwards. Hawthorn: Franklin, Roughead, Lewis etc. Even Dudbourne now in the frame with Petracca, Oliver, Salem etc. And even Geewhinge, they started their sustained period of competitiveness with Bartel, Kelly, Mackie, Johnson, Lonergan etc. All first round early second picks.

You need first round quality - and success with it - to augment the rest of the list.
I agree, we have 2 first rounders this year add kids like Ralphsmith Dow etc. The fall dosent look like it's coming.
Hawthorn in its last 3 and 4 years traded away picks. We haven't

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Good draft to be holding multiple picks.

Would we trade Caddy as he seems surplus to needs? A second round pick? or help up grade a pick.
Caddy ain’t getting no second rounder

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
We don't necessarily have to draft a JR replacement. A Balta replacement might do.

Reactions: 1 users

FitenFitenWin

Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane

I think with the draft hand we have this year combined with our Institute of Ruck prospects in the coming years - we can bundle up suitable packages of picks and surplus ready to go rucks to get us into the higher echelons of future drafts.

eddazol

Tiger Superstar
Sep 22, 2014
I've been debating this with Hawthron fans on social media. I've been claiming 4 flags in 5 years is the biggest era since Melbourne in the 50's, but Hawthorn fans claim winning 5 flags in 9 years (83-91) tops that.
Also allowing for the full impact of draft and salary cap. Early 80s was still cheque book football.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
It is the perennial argument:
Should we top up with a star recruit (now for us with 2 back row first round picks), at a minimum of 3 such selections, or should we stick to free agents probably at a greater TPP cost, and the draft.
Free agent and draft please.

Bontinpelli would be very attractive but the Bulldogs would match. Given their likely ladder position, maybe Essendon for Merrett would not. Perfect fit.

I also think the recruiting team have prepared for such a scenario and anticipate that Coleman-Jones (and a lower pick), will also be moved on for another first rounder, allowing room for the likes of Colina and
Ryan to emerge as forward/ rucks next year.

Depending on the retirements of maybe one of our older brigade and the departure of Caddy and one or two others, there should be enough left for a Merrett and 6 -7 draftees, all top 50.

If managed as now this can go on indefinitely.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Also allowing for the full impact of draft and salary cap. Early 80s was still cheque book football.
yep, to add to ToOs list

Carlton brown paper bags
WCE links to Matt Barber
Essendrugs PEDs & Salary cap breaches in the 90s
Adelaide's cap breaches inv Tippett
Gutnicks whistle blowing about the Dreamons cap breaches in the 90s

etc etc

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
It is the perennial argument:
Should we top up with a star recruit (now for us with 2 back row first round picks), at a minimum of 3 such selections, or should we stick to free agents probably at a greater TPP cost, and the draft.

a caller on SEN the other day claimed we are chasing Cripps and we'll fit him under the cap by retiring Cotchin. I'm sure its total bullsh.it, but i like the thinking.

FitenFitenWin

Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
I'll have a go at what we might look like in 2024:
NYUON COX VLAUS
SHORT BALTA MANSELL
RALPHO GREEN DOW
BAKER LUKOSIUS CASTAGNA
MJR LYNCH MARTIN
RYAN BOLTON RCD
CUMBERLAND MARTYN GRAHAM #2021 DRAFTEE

COX, GREEN AND LUKOSIUS ALL JOIN VIA FREE AGENCY

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
We don't necessarily have to draft a JR replacement. A Balta replacement might do.

Jack would have the highest Footy IQ in the game. Going by the RFC coaches, Balta might has the lowest. Not sure he's a natural replacement.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Jack would have the highest Footy IQ in the game. Going by the RFC coaches, Balta might has the lowest. Not sure he's a natural replacement.
Jack is a genius. Good luck finding another one in a hurry. Balta is a freak. That might have to do.

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021

Second, replacing our good players. This will be the area that confounds the “experts” in coming years. How can our midfield, in particular, continue to thrive without Cotch, without Edwards, without top 10 draft picks? First, system-based sides are less vulnerable to waning stars. Second, the idea that we have nothing when Cotch, Titch and Prestia are gone is a furphy. Let us assume the above trio have retired and that Dusty is tearing things up at full forward alongside Lynch. How do we look? Well, we have a midfield dynamo already. Shai Bolton is his name and we didn’t have to trade into a top ten pick to secure him. For a mid 20s pick we have an electric playmaker to replace Cotch. It’s the stuff of nightmares for the traditionalists our there expecting our midfield to fade.

I like and agree with a lot of it
BUT while we had a come from behind win against an undefeated side , they did have Schache and Bruce in their forward line

I love Bolton and claimed him the first time I saw him at VFL level , I do expect him to rise to great heights
but Cotch , a brownlow winner and long time captain does at times show something special , inspiring leadership

2019 Prelim we are behind at half time and looking in trouble
We start the 3rd qtr with , dig as deep as you can tackle from Cotch , the stage was set , our boys were lifted , every lounge room supporter would have been roaring , plenty of our guys can lay just as good a tackle but it wont have the other affect

and again last Friday he made a strong statement wit h4 3rd qtr clearances

he does it with power and grace and it clearly has an effect on those around him

Dusty , while we were growing as a side started his super unselfish acts , we've discussed here so many times , it brings players into the game and became an important part of the much discussed culture , and in those act he earnt the respect of his peers
I cant recall the game , last year 3/4tr time , we are behind , the 3/4 time huddle Dusty kept walking around the group
he gave a tap , eye contact and seemingly only occassionaly a word to every player
he wanted them onboard , he believed we could win
and ..... of course we did :) but it was very deliberate , he looked at every player and with his eyes said "we can do this ,are you in ?"

its generational stuff , the likes of Broad , Castagna , K Mac etc might be valued members of the team , but wont rival the ability to inspire like Cotch & Dusty can

Bolton , Titch , Prestia and top level players and with them we can win flags , they are that good

the final piece of the puzzle you describe for the recruiters and coaches will be to allow new players to grow into that role of on field inspiration
just maybe that could be MJR ??? long shot