Will Hawkins get suspended? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Will Hawkins get suspended?

James

Tiger Rookie
Sep 11, 2016
Absolutely I did. And so could you if you bothered to be a bit more objective. Greens right hand is pushing backwards and forwards vigorously across Bonts face. Bont can’t move and can’t defend.
Why don’t you get on to a GWS website and spout your views there.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Should have been suspended for 4 weeks plus? What for James? Did he strike? Did he eye gouge? Was the Bont unable to finish the game?

From what I saw, he roughed him up a bit, and grabbed his head/hair. It's a final FFS. 4 weeks plus for that? Deserved a free kick, and maybe a 50.

I know a lot of people hate Toby, and this hatred really messes with people's rationality. I would have Toby at Tigerland any day of the week. He's a gun.

So James, what crime did he commit to deserve 4 weeks plus?
Sorry mate he may be talented but we have a no *smile* policy. Tobes is a *smile* of the highest order and he's recently added third man in coward to his repertoire. Good player but I wouldn't want him doing that in a Richmond jumper.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Should have been suspended for 4 weeks plus? What for James? Did he strike? Did he eye gouge? Was the Bont unable to finish the game?

The way Greene chooses to "play" the game is absolutely not what sport is about.

The AFL has created a festering mess by failing time and again to call him to account.

From studs-up karate kicks to the face of an opponent to inexplicable and unnecessary hair pulling and grappling with an opponent's face, some of the things he does create an appalling look for the game. Don't worry, I reckon the guy's a jet. But he also acts as though he's above the law.

By failing to properly adjudicate the Bontempelli matter (surely it was at least two weeks for the charge of "serious misconduct"?), the AFL lets him off the hook AGAIN.

And it's about time people get off the "was the Bont unable to finish the game" jibberish in judging the gravity of an act. It's such a low calibre way of assessing an offence. Some would argue Hawkins hit Schofield as hard as Gaff hit Brayshaw... and yet because Schofield could finish the game the Hawk gets away with a pathetic one game penalty. It's not right.

Reactions: 5 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Greene is a grub. If someone did what he does in the 70s and 80s he'd be dealt with very quickly and harshly

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Greene is a grub. If someone did what he does in the 70s and 80s he'd be dealt with very quickly and harshly
Yep, n that's what's wrong with modern footy. The retaliator gets his arse handed to him on a plate while the instigator scuttles away laughing. Old school every team had an enforcer n gutless little cockaroaches like Tobes would get sorted out in a big hurry by more than one team's enforcer. *smile* ant MRO points system with virtually no penalty increments for repeat offenders makes it way to easy for little pus bags to fester.

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
Sorry mate he may be talented but we have a no ******** policy. Tobes is a ******** of the highest order and he's recently added third man in coward to his repertoire. Good player but I wouldn't want him doing that in a Richmond jumper.
He won't be coming to Richmond anyway so it academic. I'm certainly not a fan of the rubbish he's done in the past, but IMHO, looking at the Bont incident in isolation, it doesn't deserve a suspension.

Nico

Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
By failing to properly adjudicate the Bontempelli matter (surely it was at least two weeks for the charge of "serious misconduct"?), the AFL lets him off the hook AGAIN.
What did he actually do to deserve 2 weeks?

Nico

Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
I reckon that kind of stuff happened all the time in the 70s and 80s, and yes, it was dealt with quickly and harshly.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Without fat guts
We get a 18-24 point lead.
If they play Dangerfield forward, they lose in the middle.
If we get on top in the middle I can see both Lynch and jack having big nights.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
I reckon that kind of stuff happened all the time in the 70s and 80s, and yes, it was dealt with quickly and harshly.

I don't remember eye gouging being a thing during that time, punching , elbows & squirrel grips etc. were the go, but as far as I remember no one went for the eyes.
It takes a certain kind of individual to decsend to that level of scumness.

Reactions: 1 users

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
I don't remember eye gouging being a thing during that time, punching , elbows & squirrel grips etc. were the go, but as far as I remember no one went for the eyes.
Like someone who would spit at the opposition? He's special.

Nico

Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
Absolutely I did. And so could you if you bothered to be a bit more objective. Greens right hand is pushing backwards and forwards vigorously across Bonts face. Bont can’t move and can’t defend.
Why don’t you get on to a GWS website and spout your views there.
So you saw a facial gouge, but the AFL legal counsel didn't? OK then. Be more objective? You're the one who wants to give him 4 weeks + because he's been a naughty boy in the past, while I'm looking at the incident in isolation and saying he shouldn't have been suspended.

Nico

Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
So he eye gouged?

Nico

Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
Well that’s a clincher then.
How so? Your opinion is 4 weeks +, I think he shouldn't have been suspended. How is that the clincher?

Let's agree to disagree. Time to focus on Friday night. Go Tiges!

Last edited:

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
What did he actually do to deserve 2 weeks?

To state the obvious, he engaged in serious misconduct. That was the charge.

"Sources close to the situation confirmed to The Age that Bontempelli had visible scratch marks around his neck and a bruise around his eye shortly after the alleged incident took place."

Where's YOUR evidence that he didn't engage in serious misconduct?

And don't use the tribunal hearing or its decision as an argument. In its infinite wisdom, the AFL decided not to prosecute the substance of the case as it was levelled, which is astonishing really.

Nico

Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
To state the obvious, he engaged in serious misconduct. That was the charge.

"Sources close to the situation confirmed to The Age that Bontempelli had visible scratch marks around his neck and a bruise around his eye shortly after the alleged incident took place."

Where's YOUR evidence that he didn't engage in serious misconduct?

And don't use the tribunal hearing or its decision as an argument. In its infinite wisdom, the AFL decided not to prosecute the substance of the case as it was levelled, which is astonishing really.
Bit hard to argue with you at all Disco if you won't let me quote from the hearing, yet you quote third party "sources".

Anyway, I have a different opinion than others on here, and if a no-name player did the same thing, we simply wouldn't be having this conversation.

Go Tiges!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Bit hard to argue with you at all Disco if you won't let me quote from the hearing, yet you quote third party "sources".

Anyway, I have a different opinion than others on here, and if a no-name player did the same thing, we simply wouldn't be having this conversation.

Go Tiges!

If a no-name player from a club which has existed for a long time, as opposed to an "expansion" club, did the same thing, we wouldn't be talking about it because they would have got at least 2 weeks and everyone would have agreed fair cop and moved on.

DS

James

Tiger Rookie
Sep 11, 2016

Go Tiges!
Rubbish. The play was a cowardly attack on a defenceless player. Always going to attract scrutiny.