will we need to be vaccinated to attend games in 2022 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

will we need to be vaccinated to attend games in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Unfortunately "the common good" is still determined by individuals with differing risk profiles. It can't be objectively determined as a universal rule for all. This is my take: the vaccines provide protection against severity of symptoms, but this effect drops off after a fairly short period of time, hence the need to keep getting boosters. Alternatively you could catch COVID and natural immunity will provide greater ongoing protection and against more variants (i'm not sure if it reduces transmission to a great extent), however this will also eventually wear off. Recovery rates are very high for young and healthy people. For me, if you are old and/or have conditions that make you more susceptible to severe symptoms from COVID then you should get the jab. Otherwise if you are young and healthy you should probably avoid it and ideally catch it and recover. In the meantime they should continue to enhance the vaccines to provide better protection against transmission, but it should follow the normal process for vaccine approval to capture long term effects of its use.

Plenty we don’t know about long COVID yet.

Some evidence of asymptomatic people ending up with the long form.

Too many unknowns to mess about with notions of “natural immunity”.

Reactions: 3 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
are you considered "vaccinated" if you've had covid? and is there any point getting vaccinated?

In the earlier days that seemed to be the case. But I've seen less "or if you've already had Covid" exemptions these days.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
The question is not about if the vaccines help reduce severity of symptoms but whether they stop transmission. The quality analysis you provided doesn't seem to address that.
The article addresses the misinformation spread by anti-vaxxers around hospitalisation and death rates among vaccinated people in Israel.

It explains the importance of rigorously analysing data before jumping to conclusions, and it debunks the central premise put forward by anti-vaxxers that the Israel data shows being vaccinated somehow makes you more vulnerable to a hospital visit.

Another myth busted.

Timmy99

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 7, 2006
Canberra
Sensible move.

I’m double vaxed so I’ll be there round 1 (assuming boarders are open by then). Already got my proof of vaccination downloaded in my digital wallet.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
are you considered "vaccinated" if you've had covid? and is there any point getting vaccinated?

dunno in a legal sense, but in a practical sense yes you are. There is still benefit in getting vaccinated even then, as you'll have an even broader immune coverage.

Reactions: 1 user

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
dunno in a legal sense, but in a practical sense yes you are. There is still benefit in getting vaccinated even then, as you'll have an even broader immune coverage.

Definitely not in the legal sense - vaccination (and entitlement to a vaccine passport) will mean having received the two doses of approved vaccine.
Maybe later it will also incorporate having received ongoing booster shots too.

And just one of the many benefits will be the ability to attend the footy. The anti-vaxxers can watch on TV from home or possibly via the big screen in Fed Square after a protest rally.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
The only way to prevent transmission of a highly contagious pathogen is to unfortunately restrict movement (as well as other protocols such as masks, social distancing etc). Those who think that an 80% vaccination rate will fix things should look at the current data coming out of Israel showing a surge of breakthrough COVID 19 cases in the vaccinated. Does not look good for normal crowd numbers in 2022.

Reactions: 2 users

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
If I have Covid, it is my lot to be pigeon holed.
Nope just seen opinions from some of the world's great professors,Thomas barody,Clancy,etc.
Not Borody's long suit I'm afraid.
Robert Clancy is a little tired of being misrepresented.
Furthermore:
National science reporter Liam Mannix writes: The National COVID-19 Clinical Evidence Taskforce, a federal-government funded body made up of scientists and doctors from the nation’s medical and scientific societies, strongly recommends against using hydroxychloroquine to treat or prevent COVID-19. It strongly recommends against using ivermectin outside clinical trials. The evidence shows hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin are not effective in treating or preventing COVID-19.
I'm sure etc provides good evidence though

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I really can't see a problem with requiring vaccinations to go to the footy, see a band, go to a music festival etc.

There are very few conditions which preclude getting AZ and I haven't read up on the others but we do have a fair number of vaccines so it is likely one of them will be ok.

As for the silly argument about letting it rip amongst the young, go and tell that to the 17 year old currently being ventilated in Sydney. Will they survive? I hope so, but the risk remains and there are safe vaccines available for just about everybody over 12.

I don't think the common good is hard to determine here, we all get vaccinated unless there is a medical reason not to, less people die and we are far less likely to transmit the deadly virus.

DS

Reactions: 9 users

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
TT2 has a degree in Google and a diploma of Youtube. The last person to bring up the science is the anti-vax crew.
Sorry I know more about this subject than most people I know. I am not anti Vax. But if you have a narrow focus of targeting one spike protein, like the mRNA vaccines do then you force the Virus to mutate i.e. Delta. This is basic science. The Vaccines are creating the mutations.
The Vaccines for the next 15 years if we follow this approach will always be one step behind the virus. This is a perfect business model for the Pharmaceutical Companies.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Sorry I know more about this subject than most people I know. I am not anti Vax. But if you have a narrow focus of targeting one spike protein, like the mRNA vaccines do then you force the Virus to mutate i.e. Delta. This is basic science. The Vaccines are creating the mutations.
The Vaccines for the next 15 years if we follow this approach will always be one step behind the virus. This is a perfect business model for the Pharmaceutical Companies.

I'm still laughing at your statement that 80% will not get symptoms so therefore don't need to be vaccinated.

Explain to me how you identify this 80% vs the 20%.

I'll wait...

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
A guy at work is against getting the jab because he doesn't know what's in it.

On the other hand he regularly eats processed things like Meat Pies , Hot Dogs & Chicken Nuggets for lunch.

Go figure.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Status
Not open for further replies.