Woo Denial | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Woo Denial

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Disco08 said:
The difference between religious experiences and ghost stories are that generally religious experience occurs in one's mind, whereas most ghost stories are reportedly physical sightings. Not really the same thing at all IMO.

Ghosts have much the same ontological and epistemelogical problems as a creator God has.

For a start no-one seems willing to properly define what a ghost IS. Very few people even ask "what is the nature of this thing we are trying to detect or communicate with?" That should be the first question. In that way you can examine if it is even possible.

--If it is indeed a 'spirit' then it is not physical,'of matter'and as such can't be ruled upon by science.Much the same as God.

--If it not a 'spirit' then one would think by now science would've been able to difinitively detect one.

Most peoples problem is they can't decide what they mean by the terms "to exist" and "real"

If "real" is meant physical in nature,then it is fair to say the usual conception of ghosts is likely *smile*.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
evo said:
Ghosts have much the same ontological and epistemelogical problems as a creator God has.

For a start no-one seems willing to properly define what a ghost IS. Very few people even ask "what is the nature of this thing we are trying to detect or communicate with?" That should be the first question. In that way you can examine if it is even possible.

--If it is indeed a 'spirit' then it is not physical,'of matter'and as such can't be ruled upon by science.Much the same as God.

--If it not a 'spirit' then one would think by now science would've been able to difinitively detect one.

Most peoples problem is they can't decide what they mean by the terms "to exist" and "real"

If "real" is meant physical in nature,then it is fair to say the usual conception of ghosts is likely *smile*.

Optical illusions are also ghosts (e.g. Shroud of Turin).

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
evo said:

For what reason are these people that claim to have seen something that fits the traditional description of a ghost bullshitting though? What do they have to gain?

Panthera tigris FC said:
Wouldn't it be simple to see one documented case of a ghost sighting instead of always anecdotal evidence considering how often they occur?

Just to point out that I am not disputing that the people saw something...but how that leads to the existence of ghosts is another thing altogether.

Depends what you'll accept as 'documented'. Google 'ghost photos' or 'ghost videos' and I'm sure you'll get lots of bogus links. How do you know they're all fakes though?

Don't they have detectors or something that pick up on seismic energy or whatever?

Disco08 said:
So if say five people who are all fully aware of the limitations of their own perception see the same ghostly looking image for long enough to be convinced within themselves that what they saw wasn't a failure of their perception, what conclusion would you draw?

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Panthera tigris FC said:
Just to point out that I am not disputing that the people saw something...but how that leads to the existence of ghosts is another thing altogether.
Your problem is you think theres a one true objective reality 'out there' just waiting to be discovered. Typical scientist. ;)

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Disco08 said:
For what reason are these people that claim to have seen something that fits the traditional description of a ghost bullsh!tting though? What do they have to gain?
I'm not accusing them of bullshitting necessarily.I'm sure many believe what they saw.

My point is the question : "what did they see?"

Depends what you'll accept as 'documented'. Google 'ghost photos' or 'ghost videos' and I'm sure you'll get lots of bogus links. How do you know they're all fakes though?
I didn't calim they are fakes.

They are "unexplained"

Don't they have detectors or something that pick up on seismic energy or whatever?
Dunno.

Seismic detectors measure movement in physical matter.The earth.

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
lol, yeah I knew that wasn't the word I was looking for. You do see the ghost hunters running around with detectors of some sort though don't you?

evo said:
I didn't calim they are fakes.

I didn't accuse you of claiming they were fakes. :)

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Disco08 said:
lol, yeah I knew that wasn't the word I was looking for. You do see the ghost hunters running around with detectors of some sort though don't you?
I dunno what they are detecting for and with what aparratus.Thats my point.

Do they?

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
I guess the most accurate definition is something like 'a transparent version of a human'.

You don't have a theory on what is causing all these people to see these transparent human figures other than it's being caused by flawed human perception?

Panthera tigris FC

Full Blown Chimp Crush
Oct 28, 2004
Torquay
Disco08 said:
I guess the most accurate definition is something like 'a transparent version of a human'.

You don't have a theory on what is causing all these people to see these transparent human figures other than it's being caused by flawed human perception?

Nope. I am still struggling to comprehend what they claim they saw.

People also see the Virgin Mary in all sorts of strange places. We have a tendency to see patterns....especially facial patterns, which might make us prone to such things?

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Panthera tigris FC said:
Wouldn't have a clue. I wasn't there and have no more information than, to paraphrase, "they saw a ghost".

How do you define "ghost" or "spirit"?

ghost is a view of a dead person, whereas, spirit is just an intangible feeling of something near you.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
TigerForce said:
ghost is a view of a dead person, whereas, spirit is just an intangible feeling of something near you.

Emphasis on the word intangible.

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
Panthera tigris FC said:
Nope. I am still struggling to comprehend what they claim they saw.

People also see the Virgin Mary in all sorts of strange places. We have a tendency to see patterns....especially facial patterns, which might make us prone to such things?

Yeah possibly, but most of the stories you hear are of people seeing full bodied transparent humans. People want to see the Virgin Mary because she's been burnt into their subconscious and is a way of validating their belief. What similar purpose would seeing a ghost serve?