Worst team threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Worst team threads [Merged]

richardlounder37

RBF say...Cheer up... or is that Everything Sucks!
Aug 18, 2004
Feel free to comment, but here is a team I came up with off the top of my head...

Richmond Dud All-Stars 1983-2003

BACKS Richard Geary Brad Gwilliam John Mrakov
H/BACKS David Palm Michael Laffy (v-c) Allan McKellar
CENTRES Jamie Elliott Michael McKenna Andrew Underwood
H/FORWARDS Justin Plapp Steven Jurica Gary Frangalas
FORWARDS Todd Menegola Richard Lounder     (capt) Aaron James

RUCKS Steven O'Dwyer Matthew Dundas Peter Francis

I/CHANGE John Manton Ashley Blurton Matthew Francis
Brett Evans Brent Frewin Ewen Thompson

COACH Mike Patterson
ASST. COACH Paul Sproule

PRESIDENT Alan Bond

I'm sure there are many more, these are just the shockers that immediately sprung to mind.

Re: Worst Ever... A team of "champions"

Would have thought Stevan Jackson was a better choice at CHF. Also, surely you have room for Athos Hrysoulakis. Chris Burton, Macca Banik and Mark Eustice are also slightly peeved. Well done, RL, a great concept.

Aaron James does not belong in that team. He was servicable and badly affected by injuries.

What about Chris Pym and Peter Czerkaski instead of Andrew underwood and Justin Plapp.

Danny is the ONLY coach fit for this rabble ;D Vote1 Danny.

alistair scott, adam slater, ty esler make that team anyday, u hold your breath everytime they attempt a chestmark!!

in hindsight patterson was probably a worse coach than spud so was geishan...like it or not spud got us to finals that makes him more successfull than many other coaches weve had...since 1982 only northey and spud have got us to finals..scary but true

Some great names there but surely David Palm was a bit better than that? He had a real dip. I could think of plenty worse. Barry Trotter? What about Wayne Shand? Flower cut him up one day.

Should really be a 1983-1999 side as there's no one from the 2000 to 2003 lists in that side (and there's plenty of duds from those four years who could've made an appearance).

David Palm shouldn't be in there, was one of Richmond's better players during the mid-1980s. I don't think Frangalas should be in there either, his problem wasn't being a hack, it's just that he was injured all the time.

Lionel Proctor and Clinton King would be two who would deservedly replace them. Tony Jewell would be a good nomination as coach (at least Spud made it to a finals series).

wagstaff said:
Should really be a 1983-1999 side as there's no one from the 2000 to 2003 lists in that side (and there's plenty of duds from those four years who could've made an appearance).

David Palm shouldn't be in there, was one of Richmond's better players during the mid-1980s. I don't think Frangalas should be in there either, his problem wasn't being a hack, it's just that he was injured all the time.

Lionel Proctor and Clinton King would be two who would deservedly replace them. Tony Jewell would be a good nomination as coach (at least Spud made it to a finals series).

Shocking call about TJ, he is actually is our last premiership coach! No hall of shame for him.

what about matty wall?

and that pitura kid?

david honeybun should be in the ruck.

tim gepp?

who was that dud from colingwood who took a screamer in his first night game for us and booted a goal and then never did nuthin?

mckewan? or somehting

and wally eustace should be captain

Don't agree with David Palm being selected in a "Worst Ever"!

As Wagstaff posted Frangala was unfortunate with the number of injuries he suffered. And, I take it, Swampy is only included on his coaching record - not as a player.

Danny is cherry ripe for coaching job

Where is Brian Leys?????????? Geez that guy had the match comittees bluffed. He was good for 4-10 goals a game for the opposition.
To those calling for A.Banik, might pay to get some old tapes of him & actually have a look at him playing as an 18 year old. He had amazing poise & composure.
If he was a first year player today we would think we had a gem on our hands, as we did then. Unfortunately never recovered from post viral fatrigue syndrome to make it back 100%.

Banik has absolutely no place in this team but he was not a gem. He was far too s l o w.

Didn't Macca Banik debut as a 16 yr old?

My memories of him were that he was the only guy in our backline with enough skill that you could trust him with the footy - it was a shame about his (lack of) pace...

Googling his name I found this:

Anthony Banik failed to live up to expectation when he was hit with chronic fatigue syndrome after being drafted in 1989, also by the Tigers.
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/11/19/1069027192127.html

Anthony Banik, the number 1 draft pick was one of the best credientialled junior footballers ever. He was an All-Australian under-16 while still only 14. If he hadn't been drafted by Richmond as a 16 year old he would have become the first person ever to represent a state in 3 Teal Cup under-17 tournaments. He was regarded as the unanimous number 1 selection. He made the all-Australian under-17 team despite missing the 9 weeks prior to the carnival with a knee injury. He was a state junior shotput and discus champion, and the nephew of Carlton premiership player Billy Bennett. However Banik was extremely mature and physicallly developed for his age group, and had very little improvement left in him. After 49 games at Richmond he was delisted

What about Craig Stewart and Peter McCormack? Pies duds.

TigerGoneNorth said:
Banik has absolutely no place in this team but he was not a gem. He was far too s l o w.

Didnt say he was a gem. Just said as a first year player, he showed all the attributes of becoming one. A shame he did not overcome his illness as he would been a gem so to speak.