Your 2022 big move | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Your 2022 big move

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I agree our game style has to be tweaked, but defensive forwards who are out of form and not defending well doesn't prove that defensive forwards are not useful.

With the rule changes I would think the tweaking will involve a little less of the hold it in our forward 50, but kicking more goals? It's not like you have to score more highly to win under the new rules, quite the opposite.

DS

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
I agree our game style has to be tweaked, but defensive forwards who are out of form and not defending well doesn't prove that defensive forwards are not useful.

With the rule changes I would think the tweaking will involve a little less of the hold it in our forward 50, but kicking more goals? It's not like you have to score more highly to win under the new rules, quite the opposite.

DS

Soldo is the key.

With teams flooding more due to stand rule, the best chance to score quickly will be from centre breaks to capitalise on 666. Two good ruckmen will be critical for most teams.

This means that we *do* need better converters in F50, but Hardwick also likes to live in that forward zone. There'll be a balance of offensive types (MRJ, Clark, Cumberland, Martin, Edwards, Bolton) and defensive types (Baker, Castagna, Aarts, Parker). All will be required to tackle. The coaches would've hated how few F50 tackles we registered this year.

I would argue that we need upgrade the calibre of defensive forward. The likes of Baker is a good start, Vlastuin is a left-field possibility now that we've shored up defensive stocks at the draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
I've run the simulations, crunched the numbers, and completed a chi squared statistical analysis. After all that, it turns out that the team which kicks the most goals wins a staggering 100% of the time.
Richmond 13.15 - 93 def Carlton 14.7 - 91
Princes Park
12/06/67
:cool:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
With teams flooding more due to stand rule

Surely you jest!

I heard Steve Hocking say repeatedly that the stand rule was an outstanding success. Flooding is a blight on the game, so no chance you are correct.

He’d know a lot more about footy than any of us.

• Haha

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
My big move

Parker to be our CHF.

Neither Jack (coming to the end of an outstanding career) nor Lynch (never mobile enough) can realistically play that role. And I don't see anyone else on the list who can either.

We have apparently focused in the draft on winning it out of the middle.

I see us getting the ball deep into the forward line as quickly as possible if not having midfielders like Dusty or wingman like Short kicking long goals, with Lynch and Riewoldt leading in different directions. One crumber working at the fall of the ball.

Then because of the standing rule, we adopt the flood but higher up the ground than most teams, we flood across the half forward line, meaning we want quick players who can apply defensive pressure in that area.

Parker fits the bill IMO with enough height, mobility and tackling ability to cause problems.

His relatively poor marking skills will not be exposed as we will not be looking for anything other than defensive contests or maybe the odd chest mark if an opportunity to go short when moving forward presents itself.

• Wow

wammo

We're from Tigerland
May 16, 2007
RCD starts in the middle, first bounce of the season and we play him there till we make him, or break him.

Reactions: 5 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I think the “ Firm” ( Bolton, Baker, Balta and new partner Graham) will all take another step forward in 2022 and push for AA selection.

Unfair to call them the second tier, however I think the competition may underestimate our 21-25ers .

Yes it’s important a couple of the cub mids improve a lot in 22 , however I believe our list is in an outstanding position for a crack next season and deep into the future , some Tiger immortals will still be around fir a year or 3 and there’s some genuine talent under 25 .

More good times ahead , Premierships are just going to blend

• Love

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
My big move

Parker to be our CHF.

Neither Jack (coming to the end of an outstanding career) nor Lynch (never mobile enough) can realistically play that role. And I don't see anyone else on the list who can either.

We have apparently focused in the draft on winning it out of the middle.

I see us getting the ball deep into the forward line as quickly as possible if not having midfielders like Dusty or wingman like Short kicking long goals, with Lynch and Riewoldt leading in different directions. One crumber working at the fall of the ball.

Then because of the standing rule, we adopt the flood but higher up the ground than most teams, we flood across the half forward line, meaning we want quick players who can apply defensive pressure in that area.

Parker fits the bill IMO with enough height, mobility and tackling ability to cause problems.

His relatively poor marking skills will not be exposed as we will not be looking for anything other than defensive contests or maybe the odd chest mark if an opportunity to go short when moving forward presents itself.
Balta? I prefer him in defence, but he’s mobile for his size, a good mark and has a booming kick.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Jack Graham to take his game to another level and make the All-Australian 40 squad.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Richmond 13.15 - 93 def Carlton 14.7 - 91
Princes Park
12/06/67
:cool:
This is where LTRTR is sorely missed. Would have had the exact winning % and no. Of times teams kicked more goals and didn’t win. :cry:

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
This is where LTRTR is sorely missed. Would have had the exact winning % and no. Of times teams kicked more goals and didn’t win. :cry:
Spot on, Jazz. LTRTR was genius.

I only remember that result against Carlton because I was there and a Blues supporting mate didn't understand how you can kick more goals and still lose the game. Typical dumb Carlton kid :cool:

Batchelor Party

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2011
USA
With Rioli and Mansell down back and Vlastuin fully fit, I could see Short moving up the ground to a wing or half forward.
A backline group of Balta Grimes Mansell Rioli Vlastiun Tarrant Broad and Baker is a pretty solid and versatile unit.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Balta to play more ad a swingman and start cutting his teeth as a forward.
Stallman to also have a bigger role as a forward.
RCD to have a breakout year.
And at least one of the new recruits to surprise us all and play a bit of senior footy.
And, of course, Richmond to get back the title of premiers.

Reactions: 2 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Jayden Short to forward/wing.
he wont play forward. there are no easy kicks playing as a forward pocket.

also I dont see him with the goal sense, or accuracy to be particularly dangerous. and he wont improve our f50 tackling.

maybe the wing if we want our game plan to be long (blind) bombs into the f50.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004

also I dont see him with the goal sense, or accuracy to be particularly dangerous. and he wont improve our f50 tackling.

The bold is exactly why he should be considered as a forward ILO.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I reckon you answer your own question. He certainly could play CHF, but he is too valuable down back IMO.

If we can spare him from defence, things are going sweet.
Be interesting Streak if all are fit going into 2023, I.e Tarrant, Balta, Grimes and Gibcus , I’d imagine there’d be a chance for Gibcus or Balta go forward , personally I’d be keeping Balta back , I think he’s athletic traits out way his footy iq need as a key forward that you can get away with as a backman . Really really like the idea of Gibcus and Balta as our 2 big defenders going forward, in saying that I’m all for giving Gibbo a season of VFL as a key forward , great education for him as well as learing of Taz and Grimes re defending at training

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang

Did start as a forward, 3 on debut

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Be interesting Streak if all are fit going into 2023, I.e Tarrant, Balta, Grimes and Gibcus , I’d imagine there’d be a chance for Gibcus or Balta go forward , personally I’d be keeping Balta back , I think he’s athletic traits out way his footy iq need as a key forward that you can get away with as a backman . Really really like the idea of Gibcus and Balta as our 2 big defenders going forward, in saying that I’m all for giving Gibbo a season of VFL as a key forward , great education for him as well as learing of Taz and Grimes re defending at training

I forgot about Tarrant when I wrote my original post.

But I’ll stick with Balts in defence anyway.