Your biggest stories | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Your biggest stories

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Ian Stewart was caught in drag whilst driving down Collins St. The cop put his arm in the window to grab the keys and Stewart wound the window up and drove off dragging the cop down the street.
Alan Jeans was a senior policeman and coach of St Kilda and had to get rid of him because of how it looked, hence he came to Richmond in a swap for Barrot.
True story told to me by Ian Collins last week

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Alan Schwab dying from an OD

The demise of Fitzroy

The expansion from VFL to AFL

VFL Park been sold off

Peter Motley's car accident

Spud committing Hari Kari

Ablett Snr and Alicia Horan
Darren Millane’s death in a car accident was a massive story

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I remember Neal Sachse becoming a quadraplegic after a football injury, that certainly raised a lot of issues.

The Essendon drug scandal.

Although before my time, Norm Smith sacked from Melbourne, wow, have they ever paid for that.

I think we paid for not re-appointing Tom Hafey too, for many years.

Relocating South Melbourne was huge, it was the first move in making the game national - the rest follows, interstate teams, Fitzroy merger etc.

Building and then closing VFL Park - badly designed stadium in possibly the worst location they could possibly think of, but the idea of a 150,000 capacity stadium was great.

COVID has to be up there, season in hubs, first Grand Final outside of Victoria. Although no teams dropped out temporarily unlike in the wars, it was a season like no other.

AFLW - huge change having a female elite competition. About bloody time too.

Bob Pratt being hit by a tram just before a Grand Final.

Dan Minogue moving to Richmond, his pic was hung facing the wall at Collingwood for decades and he was captain/coach for our first 2 flags.

There's a lot of history in the VFL/AFL, one of the oldest football competitions in the world (Superbowl 55? yeah, whatevs, we're up to Grand Final 123 this year and that's with 2 years when there was no Grand Final). Oldest football code in the world has a lot of stories.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
Shaun Grigg's handball to Lambert in the 3rd qtr of the 2017 gf.
Not a story but it was this moment IMO that it was ours. A generationsl change was happening before our eyes.
Time stood still and you knewthere was no stopping us.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Not a story but it was this moment IMO that it was ours. A generationsl change was happening before our eyes.

Actually, that reminds me of Sheedy's handball to (I think) Barry Richardson in the 1974(?) Grand Final. Sheedy was lining up for goal, close but on an angle. Sheedy was maybe 99% likely to kick it, but the guy in the goal square was 100% likely to kick it. I remember watching it years later, it was not the done thing back then, but it was an early example of playing to percentages and the game has changed as a result. No more 70m torps, of which maybe 60% or more would miss, now even within range a player will always look for a potentially better option.

DS

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
The horrific loss of Phil Walsh.
Glad you mentioned this one. None floored me quite as much. I can recall exactly where I was and what I was doing when it was announced.

The other one for me was the last game of the year 1997. We beat Carlton on the siren to stop them making the eight. The main reason it was notable, Princess Diana was reported as being in an accident during the broadcast. I was up on the Murray sloshed in celebration and couldn't believe later when it was announced she'd passed.

Brian H

Tiger Cub
Jul 26, 2013
Yep this goal still gives me tingles, I must have watched it at least 200 times. What a moment for a Richmond supporter. I was at the game and knew we had won - something I never thought I would ever experience.
Dusty to Jack to Dion against Geelong is also up there for me for single moments of sheer bliss and knowing we were going to finally win a final - we were never going to lose with Tiger supporters going mental at the 3 quarter time break. The start of something special.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Ian Stewart was caught in drag whilst driving down Collins St. The cop put his arm in the window to grab the keys and Stewart wound the window up and drove off dragging the cop down the street.
Alan Jeans was a senior policeman and coach of St Kilda and had to get rid of him because of how it looked, hence he came to Richmond in a swap for Barrot.
True story told to me by Ian Collins last week

Now that’s a story .... Ian Collins speaking the truth

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Actually, that reminds me of Sheedy's handball to (I think) Barry Richardson in the 1974(?) Grand Final. Sheedy was lining up for goal, close but on an angle. Sheedy was maybe 99% likely to kick it, but the guy in the goal square was 100% likely to kick it. I remember watching it years later, it was not the done thing back then, but it was an early example of playing to percentages and the game has changed as a result. No more 70m torps, of which maybe 60% or more would miss, now even within range a player will always look for a potentially better option.

DS
I think it was to Mike Green.

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
SOS-How close we were of not being here today.
Richo-The arrival/Inbetween/The end.Summed up the great mans career.
Jack Dyer & Tom Hafey passing-Say no more.
The chiefs vision.-Laughed at.Now who's laughing.
2006 to 2009 drafts-Produced our Captain/Our best indigenous player(sheds)/2nd best Tasmanian(jack) & The Goat.

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
Royce Hart hurting his knee
Raines centre bouncing and goaling
Dusty accepting his third Norm Smith and premiership medals
I like the number 4, so here's my fourth...Shorty marking over danger!

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Norda Melbun recruiting Rantall, Davis & Wade under (yet another) new rule.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Dusty to Jack to Dion against Geelong is also up there for me for single moments of sheer bliss and knowing we were going to finally win a final - we were never going to lose with Tiger supporters going mental at the 3 quarter time break. The start of something special.
I reckon that goal and play marked the start of our dynasty. We should have been further in front and Geelong had come at us hard. This was our typical script, we weren't quite good enough and would get steam rolled in the last. Not this time. Dusty flexed and we went bang! Recruiting dusty and resigning him has to be in the top 10 in significance to the club. We're an even team but geez I doubt we'd be as successful without a few of his cameos.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Fred Swift's goal saving mark on the goal line when the Cats were really coming in 1967 Grand Final was massive.
KB's finals series in 1980 when he kicked 21 goals was huge also.
It's fair to say that Dusty's 3 Normie's is not to be sneezed at too.

• Love

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I think it was to Mike Green.

I think you're right, I always get that wrong and think it was Barry Richardson.

I still think it is a significant moment, the game is very different now and that was an early indication of changes to come.

DS

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
We must have rated gallucci in his draft year? Top 20 prospect before the draft and co captained Vic Metro. Ended up going 15th. Also holds the all time vertical leap and won repeat sprints at his combine. Doesn't sound too shabby nothing ventured nothing gained?

Reactions: 1 user

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Has some skills but not consistent.

I trust the club to determine whether they can turn him into a Richmond player.