10,000,000 Cousins threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

10,000,000 Cousins threads [Merged]

Will Ben Cousins Be Playing In The AFL Next Year?

• Yes, At The Eagles

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • Yes, At Another Club

Votes: 92 35.0%
  • No

Votes: 136 51.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 26 9.9%

• Total voters

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
Mr Brightside said:
No matter what the addiction, unless you live it I don’t believe you can truly understand it .

Yep. When you are in active addiction it is impossible to contemplate an alternative. Once you've left it behind it's incomprehensible that you acted the way you did.

The judgments of others are irrelevant and laughable.

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
Mr Brightside said:
Funny how as soon as the word addiction is mentioned everyone thinks drugs, many other life destroying addictions

Really? I wouldn't say too many are truly life destroying. Gambling is the one that seems to operate the same as drugs. What are the others?

E

easy_tiger

Mr Brightside said:
Funny how as soon as the word addiction is mentioned everyone thinks drugs, many other life destroying addictions

Not necessarily life destroying either.

Pretty sure Ive got a few addictions, and I wouldnt swap lives with anyone.

The only kind of addict ive never met up close is a sex addict, damn it.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
easy said:
Not necessarily life destroying either.

Pretty sure Ive got a few addictions, and I wouldnt swap lives with anyone.

The only kind of addict ive never met up close is a sex addict, damn it.
Like said earlier et,some addictions are great.

Yep poor old Tiger Woods ;D

E

easy_tiger

Mr Brightside said:
Like said earlier et,some addictions are great.

Yep poor old Tiger Woods ;D

I was wishing I'd met a girl sex addict. :-X

or does this cruel addiction only afflict men?

Ive been addicted to booze, punting and richmond to varying degrees at various times.

I think Ive been addicted to toast as well

Richmond is the only one I never learnt to manage

ninjahaha

Sponsored by Takeda Pharmaceutical
Feb 22, 2014
the shadows
123kid said:
Or from a different line of reasoning, the “choice” involved with addiction is no more controllable than your choice to feel anxiety when you see a snake.

Can you control your brains fight or flight response. Only after the moment has passed!

ninjahaha

Sponsored by Takeda Pharmaceutical
Feb 22, 2014
the shadows
MD Jazz said:
Talk to recovering addicts like Mìck hall and crossisca - they have made choices and taken actions to turn their lives around. Addiction is an insidious disease, it might be harder for addicts to change behaviour but everyone has the opportunity. Cousins has had more opportunity than most addicts.

You are correct! No doubt that it can be beaten!

I think your attitude to kicking it is positive. Nice one! But your judgement of those on the wrong side of your belief is in some cases unjustified. To offer it from afar with no inside knowledge: dangerous!

For every success story there are tragic cases too! Stats show that 10% on average (for substance abuse) cannot kick it into their 60's. Add the casualties along the way and that number would be different!

Some people have other factors tangled with their addiction.

Mental health issues and post traumatic stresss are the two that comes to mind.

An individual with Bi Polar disorder has tougher choices than most addicts for example. Just saying its not all black and white! Just being alive each day is a choice that some face.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
shad said:
Yep. When you are in active addiction it is impossible to contemplate an alternative. Once you've left it behind it's incomprehensible that you acted the way you did.

The judgments of others are irrelevant and laughable.

Spot on shad. Consequences are irrelevant.

But change can happen.