1980 replay on now ... Foxtel | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

1980 replay on now ... Foxtel

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Especially when you consider Collingwood's THIRD most recent premiership is 1958 :banana :rotfl2:clap2
What flies under the radar a bit is that their FIFTH most recent premiership is 1936, which is an amazing stat for the "biggest" club in the land.
Imagine Manchester United with a record like that?
Ours is 1973. Hawthorn's is 1991.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Bit of a special game for me , first game of AFL I ever watched ,

Was a young kiwi boy on holiday in Australia( well 17 ) and became a supporter that day

Reactions: 5 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
What flies under the radar a bit is that their FIFTH most recent premiership is 1936, which is an amazing stat for the "biggest" club in the land.
Imagine Manchester United with a record like that?
Ours is 1973. Hawthorn's is 1991.
And the cherry on top,............the Pies have been the bridesmaid 12 times since 1960 :clap2 :rotfl2 :banana:))

• Haha

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
Hard to split the 1980 team and 2019 team. Both were tremendous on the day, boy, did we have talent to burn!

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Was at that GF and what sweet memories. Bartlett killed them as did so many other great Tigers that day. Grudgingly have to pay respect to David Cloke in that game. Can't forgive him for going to the Mudpies though. Merv. Keane had to be one of our best ever backmen. And, how about our marvellous full forward in Michael Roach. What a star!! Could wax lyrical about others as well but will just remember that great win.

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
Was at that GF and what sweet memories. Bartlett killed them as did so many other great Tigers that day. Grudgingly have to pay respect to David Cloke in that game. Can't forgive him for going to the Mudpies though. Merv. Keane had to be one of our best ever backmen. And, how about our marvellous full forward in Michael Roach. What a star!! Could wax lyrical about others as well but will just remember that great win.

What a year, one of my favorite games of all time R8 MCG 1980, KB and Roachy killed them. Back in the days when you could buy cans underage.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
That team has to arguably be the best ever...not discounting our current GF though. It was a different style of footy then.

How good were Weightman, Raines, Wiley, Bourke, Malthouse, Dunn and Lee just to name a few.

You know, they did not have a weak link in that team.

Already mentioned Bartlett and Cloke a little earlier so no need to repeat. 7 Goals to our beloved Kevin.

Many moons ago I was fortunate to go to his "roast' and was surprised then by his sense of humour.

So good to relive those glory days when we trounced the hated Magpies.

Did you notice the punch outs by Lee in so many cases? Rarely happens today. Sent the ball well forward and our players were waiting to send it further into attack. Great stuff.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
What a tough side we had, Jimmy Jess, Mick Malthouse and Peter Welsh to name a few were ruthless and would physically dominate the opposition.
There’s nothing better than beating Collingwood in a Grand Final.............well, maybe beating Carlton.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
That team has to arguably be the best ever...not discounting our current GF though. It was a different style of footy then.

How good were Weightman, Raines, Wiley, Bourke, Malthouse, Dunn and Lee just to name a few.

Already mentioned Bartlett and Cloke a little earlier so no need to repeat. 7 Goals to our beloved Kevin.

Many moons ago I was fortunate to go to his "roast' and was surprised then by his sense of humour.

Did you notice the punch outs by Lee in so many cases? Rarely happens today. Sent the ball well forward and our players were waiting to send it further into attack. Great stuff.

Agree with most of this - and it certainly was different footy.
Generally handballs were being delivered with a random tumbling ball rather than the sharp backwards spinning handball of today.
And it was noticeable that delivery with the non-dominant hand or foot was just a bit more awkward.
Yeah - Lee big thumps at ball ups were amazing. Maybe Crackers Keating did something similar for Brisbane during their run.
A bloke like Terry Smith looked awkward and unskilled but a couple of his long accurate passes set up goals.
Mervyn Keane is an all time favourite of mine.
Sad to think that Bryan Wood ended up leaving in the exodus a couple of years later - he was a gun too.

Great viewing.
And I'm pretty sure that was the ABC commentary with Tim Lane and Smooth Booth - and they were good too.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
What a tough side we had, Jimmy Jess, Mick Malthouse and Peter Welsh to name a few were ruthless and would physically dominate the opposition.
There’s nothing better than beating Collingwood in a Grand Final.............well, maybe beating Carlton.
none tougher than my fave #46 Terry BRUTUS Smith

RIP

Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Watching KB run Magro ragged was the pure highlight.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
none tougher than my fave #46 Terry BRUTUS Smith

RIP

Yes, the players walked a bit taller when Smithy was out there. He hit KB lace out a few times in the Grand Final too.
Tony Jewell loved the type of players that Smithy and Woosher Welsh were, and so did i.

May they RIP.

Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Merv Keane was great, I always figured that was why Rance was honoured with his number.

How about Jim Jess's kicks out from goal, pretty much to the middle. I still have memories of Jess kicking out from goal, and *smile* Clay before him.

DS