2008 Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2008 Draft

Heard someone on radio a while ago talking about Natanui, said something similar in that Nat was still very raw football wise, super athlete but would need two or three years of intensive polishing work. Had no doubt he would become an elite player but if anyone was thinking of readymade they would disappointed.

franky_mojojo said:
Very interesting Redford, cheers for posting.

Was anything else of note said? (eg did Bucks say what he thought of Watts/Rich/Yarran)

Refer Yarran above.

Buckley felt Rich was the most ready made player in the draft.

Scott Waters was on radio the other week saying he felt Rich was the best junior player he'd seen come through the WA U/18 and WAFL ranks in his time.

Redford said:
Refer Yarran above.

Buckley felt Rich was the most ready made player in the draft.

Scott Waters was on radio the other week saying he felt Rich was the best junior player he'd seen come through the WA U/18 and WAFL ranks in his time.

Rich could still go no.1. In fact, I think he will.

Lewis JOHNSTON 03-Mar-91 192 87 North Adelaide / Port Bulldogs FC

All Australian CHF U18 2008

I'm trying to think of the AA Key Forwards over the past few years. What's the latest a first chancer (that is still eligible for the U18 carnival the next year - a 17yo) has ever gone.

They're pretty rare birds. And they go very early. Just a quick look at history would tell you Lewis Johnston is certain top 10 and likely top 5 according to the formguide. If he's a disaster at the draft camp he might slip some.

Nearest I can think of in terms of age and achievements is Beau Dowler who went at 6 in what was considered a weaker draft.

In terms of list needs IMO we have plenty. But the primary needs of every club are midfielders and key forwards. The reason for this is simple. All clubs need the best players and the best players play midfield and key forward. We need both types as we are building for a premiership.

ATM we have zero to one key forward prospect on the list IMO. If it's not Jack Riewoldt it's nobody. So if a player like Johnston slipped to eight I'd be rapt.

Players like Cleve Hughes and Gourdis spend a bit of time in the thirds. All star KPPs are playing regular senior football by 19yo. Ergo Gourdis and Cleve are not stars. (They play in the thirds. Okay Cleve usually gets a game in the magoos these days.)

Jay Schulz is 23. He plays HBF. At least he can get a game. That's a start. And he pushes forward to kick a goal. And sometimes we even use him forward. I fully buy the tip that he's gawn.

Mitch Morton usually plays FF for us when Jack gets up the park. Mitch would be 183 and 78.

We are desperate for key forwards. We need two more state class players in the slots for a premiership tilt. And we need midfielders.

Lewis Johnston's credentials are impeccable. Maybe we'll get a crack at him.

TigerMasochist said:
Heard someone on radio a while ago talking about Natanui, said something similar in that Nat was still very raw football wise, super athlete but would need two or three years of intensive polishing work. Had no doubt he would become an elite player but if anyone was thinking of readymade they would disappointed.

Sounds like a Richmond draft special. Take a athlete and try and turn him into a footballer.

Dyer'ere said:
Lewis JOHNSTON 03-Mar-91 192 87 North Adelaide / Port Bulldogs FC

All Australian CHF U18 2008

I'm trying to think of the AA Key Forwards over the past few years. What's the latest a first chancer (that is still eligible for the U18 carnival the next year - a 17yo) has ever gone.

They're pretty rare birds. And they go very early. Just a quick look at history would tell you Lewis Johnston is certain top 10 and likely top 5 according to the formguide. If he's a disaster at the draft camp he might slip some.

Nearest I can think of in terms of age and achievements is Beau Dowler who went at 6 in what was considered a weaker draft.

In terms of list needs IMO we have plenty. But the primary needs of every club are midfielders and key forwards. The reason for this is simple. All clubs need the best players and the best players play midfield and key forward. We need both types as we are building for a premiership.

ATM we have zero to one key forward prospect on the list IMO. If it's not Jack Riewoldt it's nobody. So if a player like Johnston slipped to eight I'd be rapt.

Players like Cleve Hughes and Gourdis spend a bit of time in the thirds. All star KPPs are playing regular senior football by 19yo. Ergo Gourdis and Cleve are not stars. (They play in the thirds. Okay Cleve usually gets a game in the magoos these days.)

Jay Schulz is 23. He plays HBF. At least he can get a game. That's a start. And he pushes forward to kick a goal. And sometimes we even use him forward. I fully buy the tip that he's gawn.

Mitch Morton usually plays FF for us when Jack gets up the park. Mitch would be 183 and 78.

We are desperate for key forwards. We need two more state class players in the slots for a premiership tilt. And we need midfielders.

I agree, he is our man.

Dyer'ere said:

I just hope he hasn't finished growing. DD raised questions about his defensive pressure in another thread, whats your take on that? My opinion would be that sort of thing can be learnt.

who else is in the market for a KPF

Carlton prolly won't get him with 6
Bris Brown, Bradshaw, Brennan, Henderson, want mids...unlikely
If Johnstone gets past Adelaide's first then who could pick him up? are the likely to go KPF, they have Tippet/Sellar/Hentchel to come back
Nth have Hale, Petrie, Edwards and got Tarrant last year...unlikely
Pies Reid, Dawes, Brown can go forward, Anthony...unlikely
Swans Hall?...Maybe
Saints Riewoldt, Kosi, McEvoy can go forward...maybe
WB hopefully will have to use there first pick on Cordy
Hawks Roughead, Buddy, Boyle, Dowler, Thorp, Williams...very unlikely
Geelong have everything...who knows?
Melb hopefully got Watts with pick 1 so will want mids with PP and second round
WC have young KPP so will prolly go mid with PP and second round

Freo will prolly have Nat or Hartlett with first pick...maybe (prolly want mids)
Port would love Johnstone to fall to this pick
If we got this pick (maybe Hughes or Schulz and our 3rd rounder) is there any chance that Johnstone would fall to this pick???
Who would be most likely to pick him up before this pick??

I say the dangers are the Crows, maybe the Swans and maybe Freo in the second round

Is there any chance of us getting Ports second rounder and of Johnstone falling to this pick???

SCOOP said:
Lewis Johnston at 8? Geez I dunno.

You don't think he'll slip that far, SCOOP? What's your take on his championship form?

FWIW I don't have an opinion on him as a player. I saw him play one game on TV. He can mark and kick a football. That much is obvious.

But this youngster is Derby placed. The formguide says will go early.

davidrodan said:
who else is in the market for a KPF

That's an easy one, drod. Everybody.

IanG said:
I just hope he hasn't finished growing. DD raised questions about his defensive pressure in another thread, whats your take on that? My opinion would be that sort of thing can be learnt.

I dunno about the growth, Ian. Recruiters should know. At least as well as they can. Study siblings, siblings of parents. Blood type of father and son. You don't want half of those siblings to be irrelevant.

In the one game I saw he played fair dinkum most of the time. Defensive pressure? This is how it works. If a 17yo tall is the complete package he goes #1. Hey, Jack Watts will probably go #1 and he's far from the complete package. That said even after watching him play one game you can see that Watts has some ground game.

That's really the issue with Johnston. Does he have ground game? Can he get the stuff? Is he clean at lawn, shin, knee height? He can use. But can he get the pill? Draft camp results will matter too.

My point about Johnston is that if he slips outside the top ten it would be historic. AA CHF. 16yo as of Feb 2008. He is a sleeper on the thread. Conspicuous by his absence (not to mention his hair). Peggles is right to bring him up.

IMO if you're looking for value in the trifectas on form this is your boy.

BTW I'm very interested to read the pundits' thoughts on this lad's game. The crucial area of interest for me is how and where does he get the ball? How often and at what level?

"My point about Johnston is that if he slips outside the top ten it would be historic. AA CHF. 16yo as of Feb 2008."
I seem to remember Jay Shultz was AA at that age also: therefore no guarantee that he will turn out top notch.

17 said:
"My point about Johnston is that if he slips outside the top ten it would be historic. AA CHF. 16yo as of Feb 2008."
I seem to remember Jay Shultz was AA at that age also: therefore no guarantee that he will turn out top notch.

The quote button is your friend...

17 said:

I'm 99% certain that Jay was not AA, 17. I mean 99.99. Which still makes him an interesting comparison. He had an average carnival IIRC. His honours were from the Irish stuff. But he matches Johnston in terms of position, size and age. Note, he still went at 12.

Linden Dunn, with similar attributes didn't even make the carnival but he went at 13 IIRC.

But you're right there are no guarantees.

My comments are not about the player himself but about where the type with similar credentials and attributes goes on draft day.

Dyer'ere said:
You don't think he'll slip that far, SCOOP? What's your take on his championship form?

I fail to see the hype Jack. Saw him twice and I thought he may be a likely seconder rounder. I do not see the hype. I could be wrong but I don't see him as a sure thing. Like Vickery I would be more then happy with with any of our picks after 8. Just one fool and a viewpoint.

SCOOP said:
I fail to see the hype Jack. Saw him twice and I thought he may be a likely seconder rounder. I do not see the hype. I could be wrong but I don't see him as a sure thing. Like Vickery I would be more then happy with with any of our picks after 8. Just one fool and a viewpoint.

That's what the smallish 17yo key forwards look like IME, SCOOP. Lot of guess work. I wonder if he has any ground game. How smart his hands are.

Dyer'ere said:
I'm 99% certain that Jay was not AA, 17. I mean 99.99. Which still makes him an interesting comparison. He had an average carnival IIRC. His honours were from the Irish stuff. But he matches Johnston in terms of position, size and age. Note, he still went at 12.

Linden Dunn, with similar attributes didn't even make the carnival but he went at 13 IIRC.

My comments are not about the player himself but about where the type with similar credentials and attributes goes on draft day.
I thought that Cleve Hughes was AA CHF?

Dyer'ere said:

Jay did not make AA at U18 level but dominated the U16 carnival the year before at CHF. Was touted as an early No.1 at the start of the year off his U/16 and AIS dominance.

Hughes was the AA CHF in his year but it was a weak draft for KPP. Johnson offers everything that Hughes does but with a much harder edge and is a year younger. He will be right in the mix for our pick if the likes of Vickery and the onballers (Ziebell and Hartlett) are gone as expected.

Clean Knees Hughes was the oldest player in division one at the carnival. Would have been a rookie most years IMO.

Heath Grundy was a similar prospect. Rougher skills but miles more physical and playing senior SANFL in his draft year. Overlooked at the ND.

With Watts and Johnston the 17yo-ness is crucial to their draft prospects. We only need to compare them to first chancers (eligible to play U18 the next year) when assessing how early they'll go.