2008 Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2008 Draft

Dyer Disciple

Tiger Legend
Oct 1, 2007
scottyturnerscurse said:
Hope it happens and hope Watts elects not to nominate for the draft.

I hope it doesn't happen (Watts not electing), the deeper the pool is before our pick the better chance we have of getting a slider (like Rance last year) at Pick 8.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Watts, Natanui, Rich, Hartlett, Hurley, Ziebell, Vickery and Johnstone. Not sure of the order but we will get one. :hihi

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
TigerMasochist said:
Just a query on finding a forward, if Natanui drops far enough and I doubt that he will.
How would people see him developing as a key forward?
He's very raw at the moment but I can see him playing wherever the hell he feels like it after a few years of skills polishing. His leap, athleticism and second efforts at ground level are as good as anyones.

Naitanui spent maybe 20 minutes at FF on Hurley in the WA Metro game. Naitanui was not just too athletic for the highly rated defender, he was too smart for him. Twenty minutes isnt a big sample and they're very young. But Naitanui must have raised a few eyebrows during that period. And Hurley surely caused a few to drop.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
TigerMasochist said:
Just a query on finding a forward, if Natanui drops far enough and I doubt that he will.
How would people see him developing as a key forward?
He's very raw at the moment but I can see him playing wherever the hell he feels like it after a few years of skills polishing. His leap, athleticism and second efforts at ground level are as good as anyones.

Alot of similarities between Natanui & Franklin at the same age.

Except Natanui appears not to have the psychological flaws that Franklin had.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Dyer Disciple said:
I hope it doesn't happen (Watts not electing), the deeper the pool is before our pick the better chance we have of getting a slider (like Rance last year) at Pick 8.

Exactly!

Oct 20, 2006
MelBun
Phantom said:
Alot of similarities between Natanui & Franklin at the same age.

Except Natanui appears not to have the psychological flaws that Franklin had.

I think that's a very poor comparison !

Franklin has a special skill that is RARER than rare. He can make the seemingly impossible, possible, from nothing and in the blink of an eye. He is as quick of brain as with body. There are others in the league with similar athleticism and size, but none with quite his combination of skills and quickenss of brain.

Natinui is athletic but in a different way. He has a better vertical leap but is not as nimble or as quick of brain. He is going to be extremley imposing in ruck situations as his body size grows to be huge like his leap. I think he will dominate through agression and determination more than skill and cleverness.

If you want to see what can happen to big and tallented athletes who aren't quite gold standard players because they are not quite footy smart, just look at Justin K from St Kilda. Natinui will probably be about the same standard around the ground, but a better tap ruckman. JK has finished in St Kilda's top 10 B&F how many times? Once isn't it?

Nb. I am not trying to compare JK and Nat here .. just making a point about how the footy brain is as important or more than atleticism. That is also why Dave Gourdis was not picked in the Nat Draft last year. DG is Fast fast fast and has the best ever vertical tested leap combined with being 193 cm.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
TigersYellowAndBlack said:
I think that's a very poor comparison !

Franklin has a special skill that is RARER than rare. He can make the seemingly impossible, possible, from nothing and in the blink of an eye. He is as quick of brain as with body. There are others in the league with similar athleticism and size, but none with quite his combination of skills and quickenss of brain.

Yeah but Franklin hadn't shown that at the same age Natanui is now, at least not close to fully.

go polo

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 28, 2005
Phantom, Could I get your opinion on Steele Sidebottom. i also saw Jack Ziebel live on suday for the first time. Did alright on the ball, but did spend a lot of time up forward. He may have been injured but did more slowly to some contests.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
go polo said:
Phantom, Could I get your opinion on Steele Sidebottom. i also saw Jack Ziebel live on suday for the first time. Did alright on the ball, but did spend a lot of time up forward. He may have been injured but did more slowly to some contests.

To me, Sidebottom was one who increased his standing over the weekend.

He has genuine pace, kicks both feet, and is a great shot at goal. He is a little outside but goal kicking rovers, of the Bartlett type, are a little outside.

Yep, had Sidebottom in my 3rd tier of players. If he continues with the good form, I might lift him into a preferred position in my 2nd tier.

davidrodan

Cursed?
Oct 25, 2005
at this early stage, who is likely to be around at pick 26?
and who are we hoping (not just wishful thinking) will slide?

peggles

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 4, 2005
IanG said:
I hope Trengrove will slide to our second pick.

while that would be good..i doubt he'd drop that low...
be good if we can pick up mitch banner tho....be another tough mid who can really get the ball...in and under....would go brilliantly in our midfield

Inspector

Follow me!!
Sep 22, 2004
Mornington
Would it be worth using a late pick or rookie draft to get Michael Lourey from Frankston think he is only about 18 good size & his season tally is below.

Michael Lourey (Frankston) 17games 42goals 2goals ave 5 times in best 22behinds

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Just on Naitanui slipping you'd think he'd still go very early even if there are some doubts about his footy acumen. A bloke like that, with his athleticism could fully own CHB. So at worst an elite CHB prospect. And I'd guess better than that.

And if you want to look at the AFL benchmark for big genius athletes with really low awareness, you'd stop at Justin Koschitzke. So where would an 18yo Kosi go in any draft? Real early.

Freezer

Tiger Legend
Feb 22, 2007
Just bumping these dates as they get closer.

Hes My Hero said:
Here are some key dates you might want to remember.

September
Tuesday, 30th -- Commencement of 2008 Draft Camp, AIS Canberra
October
Friday, October 3 -- Conclusion of 2008 Draft Camp.
Friday, October 3 (2pm) -- Father / son nominations lodged with AFL.
Saturday, October 4 -- Victorian State Screening Session, Monash University.
Monday October 6 (10am) -- Father / son bidding meeting (Telstra Dome).
Monday October 6 -- Commencement of 2008 AFL exchange period.
Friday, October 10 (2pm) -- Conclusion of 2008 AFL exchange period.
Saturday, October 11 -- South Australian state screening session, SA Institute of Sport.
Sunday, October 12 -- Western Australian state screening session, University of WA.
Friday, October 31 (2pm) -- Club List Lodgement List 1 - maximum 35 players, rookie promotion, retained rookies, scholarship player transfer and international scholarship.

November
Tuesday, November 11 (2pm) -- Uncontracted listed players nominate.
Wednesday, November 12 (2pm) -- Draft nominations close.
Friday, November 14 (2pm) -- List Lodgement 2.
Wednesday, November 19 (2pm) -- Delisted players nominate.
Saturday, November 29 (10am) -- 2008 NAB AFL Draft selection meeting (Telstra Dome).

December
Tuesday, December 2 (10am) -- Nomination of scholarship-listed player and international scholarship-listed player to rookie list.
Tuesday, December 2 (10am) -- Nomination of an international player and a player not registered for three years.
Tuesday, December 2 (2pm) -- Uncontracted listed players nominate.
Wednesday, December 3 (3pm) -- List Lodgement 3 and TPP Estimates.
Tuesday, December 9 (2pm) -- Delisted players nominate.
Tuesday, December 16 (10am) -- 2008 NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft selection meeting Tuesday, December 16 (10.15am) -- Brisbane Lions and Sydney Swans nominate eligible rookie list players.
Tuesday, December 16 (10.15am) -- Nomination of third-year rookies.
Tuesday, December 16 (10.30am) -- 2008 NAB AFL Rookie Draft selection meeting

richo_man

Tiger Cub
Sep 4, 2007
Punt Road Granny
Have mentioned him before but I forgot which thread. Have not heard much about Kris Nye from Box Hill and formerly of the Ranges, but I have noticed that the other player I mentioned, Mat Suckling, won the Sandringham Best and Fairest. As a 19 year old of course, but considering he missed a year with his knee is a great effort. Did he go to camp or screenings? If so how did he test? He could be the hard man you're looking for in the middle phanto.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
richo_man said:
Have mentioned him before but I forgot which thread. Have not heard much about Kris Nye from Box Hill and formerly of the Ranges, but I have noticed that the other player I mentioned, Mat Suckling, won the Sandringham Best and Fairest. As a 19 year old of course, but considering he missed a year with his knee is a great effort. Did he go to camp or screenings? If so how did he test? He could be the hard man you're looking for in the middle phanto.

Thanks for the reminder.

Kris has spent most of 2009 in Box Hill 2nds. His performances look ok without being outstanding.

Mind you, last time I said that about somone, they suddenly bobbed up and started playing excellent footy until doing a fetlock.