2008 Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2008 Draft

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
Emma Quayle was on KB,s show today.She was asked about a few things.
*There is speculation melb and Freo will do a deal involving Warnock that will see Freo get pick 1 in the ND therefore Freo getting their hands on Rich before West Toast.Melb is gambling on West Toast not taking Watts seeing that West Toast already have that area covered.
*She like a few others are very speculative if Natanui is indeed a genuine Top 5 pick.Queries over his football Nous.
*She reckons Vickery could be the bolter in the draft.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Emma Quayle was on KB,s show today.She was asked about a few things.
*There is speculation melb and Freo will do a deal involving Warnock that will see Freo get pick 1 in the ND therefore Freo getting their hands on Rich before West Toast.Melb is gambling on West Toast not taking Watts seeing that West Toast already have that area covered.
*She like a few others are very speculative if Natanui is indeed a genuine Top 5 pick.Queries over his football Nous.
*She reckons Vickery could be the bolter in the draft.

The Worst Coached Eagles don't need a key forward, skip? Now there's a giggle for ya.

Warnock deal involving pick #1? Dear oh, dear.

johnson2richo2003

Dec 19, 2002
Dyer'ere said:
The Worst Coached Eagles don't need a key forward, skip? Now there's a giggle for ya.

Warnock deal involving pick #1? Dear oh, dear.
Yeah.Imagine if we did it.The re-developers doing Punt Road wouldnt need to tear the place down.Us supporters would do it for free :hihi :hihi :hihi

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Yeah.Imagine if we did it.The re-developers doing Punt Road wouldnt need to tear the place down.Us supporters would do it for free :hihi :hihi :hihi

See even though the journos don't discuss the Melbourne has the highest paid list in the AFL by a street scandal they know that the joint is an asylum.

Instead they run with bizarre suggestions about how incompetent they are in the trade talks. They have pick #1 in the PSD. Why would they offer #1 in the ND?

Emma Quayle thinks that Melbourne is run by imbeciles if her take on the likelihood of such a trade is to be believed. Better to just say it outright than to disparage them with such a rumour. :hihi

johnson2richo2003

Dec 19, 2002
Dyer'ere said:
See even though the journos don't discuss the Melbourne has the highest paid list in the AFL by a street scandal they know that the joint is an asylum.

Instead they run with bizarre suggestions about how incompetent they are in the trade talks. They have pick #1 in the PSD. Why would they offer #1 in the ND?

Emma Quayle thinks that Melbourne is run by imbeciles if her take on the likelihood of such a trade is to be believed. Better to just say it outright than to disparage them with such a rumour. :hihi
I reckon its Freo trying to do a "Freo" on Melb.
Surely melbourne arnt that stoopid? :help

davidrodan

Cursed?
Oct 25, 2005
If Freo get that trade done they would be laughing all the way to the draft bank

Get Rich while loosing Warnock, who doesn't wanna be at the club, to a club that has PSD #1
Maybe Melb wanna keep the PSD open incase a great player slips through trade week

It's a well known strategy in trade week known as Miller's theory

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Heard this mentioned a few weeks ago.
Pick one to Freo for Warnock and pick three. Would be considered to be a scratch my back I'll scratch yours.
Freo get Rich and leave Watts for the Dees and no-one gets the *smile* over losing a player for nothing.
Assumes of course that Wet Coke take Nat or Yarran as locals with no go home factor, Watts is known to be a huge go home risk.

peggles

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 4, 2005
maverick said:
I agree, he is our man.

i agree that he's our man also...be rapt if we get him....
certainly fills a need.......

i wouldn't go as far as saying we have no one in the forwardline...i really rate hughes and riewoldt.....
hughes is real good FF leading out from the goal square and has a strong body.
riewoldt would be an ideal half forward who can lead up the ground and take contested marks, swing around and deliver the ball into the F50...he's shown great ability of that already this season....he's a smart player...body is developing to...
gourdis is a work in progress but could be anything you'd think

along with morton and hopefully collard as the crumber with tricks we've got a good mix there along with nathan brown from the next few seasons and our mids rotating through...

having said all that...johnston would complement that so well and may well develop into the star we want....great hands, quite athletic and has a booming kick.....could be the CHF we're looking for to take over from richo

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Johnston is a very talented junior forward with excellent skills & competitive spirit.

Personally, in the end, he is a 192cm forward that comes into exactly the same group as Schulz, Hughes, Riewoldt & Gourdis. Nothing differentiates him except his marginal attributes which the others may not have.

My question is whether we get enough value out of this draft by using our first selection for marginally upgrading players of a type that we already have, or whether we use it on a type of player we don't have?

Mr Magic

The Centre of Perfection
Dec 7, 2006
If Johnstone is who we are after and believe we can get him at 8, then don't be surprised if Hughes or Schulz is traded for the Ruckman we require.

We land a ruckman and an upgraded forward in the process.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Mr Magic said:
If Johnstone is who we are after and believe we can get him at 8, then don't be surprised if Hughes or Schulz is traded for the Ruckman we require.

We land a ruckman and an upgraded forward in the process.

Well, that's the cart before the horse.

The trading period comes first.
Let's see whom we pick up in the trading period, if any.

That may/will determine our preference/s come NDraft day.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Phantom said:
Johnston is a very talented junior forward with excellent skills & competitive spirit.

Personally, in the end, he is a 192cm forward that comes into exactly the same group as Schulz, Hughes, Riewoldt & Gourdis. Nothing differentiates him except his marginal attributes which the others may not have.

My question is whether we get enough value out of this draft by using our first selection for marginally upgrading players of a type that we already have, or whether we use it on a type of player we don't have?

If Johnston is potentially an AFL class key forward (and I don't know that to be true) then IMO he bears absolutely no resemblance to any of the other players mentioned, Phanto, except Riewoldt.

And if you think he's a spud then maybe you're being a bit hard on Riewoldt.

Mate, how many AFL key forwards were playing thirds at 19? Or 20? (Gourdis and Hughes.) Not how many were there in the distant past, how many now? Or recently? You could spend a lot of time finding a really low number here.

Schulz's aren't that common. (Plays HBF.) But the rusting bodies Hugheses and Gourdises are littered across this desert.

If Johnston is potentially and AFL class key forward he is a a gleaming Cadillac.

Just on your logic, if there is nothing between that quartet, as you say, then would you rather have four Riewoldts or four Gourdises?

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Just a query on finding a forward, if Natanui drops far enough and I doubt that he will.
How would people see him developing as a key forward?
He's very raw at the moment but I can see him playing wherever the hell he feels like it after a few years of skills polishing. His leap, athleticism and second efforts at ground level are as good as anyones.

ZeroGame

Tiger Champion
Jun 19, 2006
Elwood
Dyer'ere said:
Mate, how many AFL key forwards were playing thirds at 19? Or 20? (Gourdis and Hughes.) Not how many were there in the distant past, how many now? Or recently? You could spend a lot of time finding a really low number here.

Schulz's aren't that common. (Plays HBF.) But the rusting bodies Hugheses and Gourdises are littered across this desert.
To be fair to Gourdis, he was learning a new position down back, earned a spot in the Coburg seniors and only got pushed back due to the 12/10 rule. Could have argued that he was more deserving of one of the 12 spots than a couple of others too.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Redford said:
Cometti also then started referring to Yarran. Apparently he is considered a big risk as well due to…how shall we say….. “character issues.”

Cool, so we'll pass on him just to see him turn out like the last person we passed on due to concerns about their "character issues".

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
TigerMasochist said:
Just a query on finding a forward, if Natanui drops far enough and I doubt that he will.
How would people see him developing as a key forward?
He's very raw at the moment but I can see him playing wherever the hell he feels like it after a few years of skills polishing. His leap, athleticism and second efforts at ground level are as good as anyones.

That's where I see his potential.

Either as a key forward like Buddy, or a defender like Ryder.

I don't see him as a Goodes-type player. I remember Goodes as a CHF with the North Ballarat Rebels around 1997. Very good skills & footy nous.

Interesting how drafting has changed. Goodes went pick 43 in the 1997 draft. If recruiters had the info & tools then that are available now, no doubt, he would have been an early pick.

ZeroGame

Tiger Champion
Jun 19, 2006
Elwood
Baloo said:
Cool, so we'll pass on him just to see him turn out like the last person we passed on due to concerns about their "character issues".
Lance Franklin or Mitch Clarke?

...guess it's a moot point though

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Big last weekend for Chris Yarran in his senior WAFL semi final.

Chris Yarran #36, 3 gls, 5 bhds, 12 k, 9 m, 2 hb.

His team, Swan districts, won by 24 points.

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
TigerMasochist said:
Heard this mentioned a few weeks ago.
Pick one to Freo for Warnock and pick three. Would be considered to be a scratch my back I'll scratch yours.
Freo get Rich and leave Watts for the Dees and no-one gets the sh!ts over losing a player for nothing.
Assumes of course that Wet Coke take Nat or Yarran as locals with no go home factor, Watts is known to be a huge go home risk.

Hope it happens and hope Watts elects not to nominate for the draft.

ZeroGame

Tiger Champion
Jun 19, 2006
Elwood
scottyturnerscurse said:
Hope it happens and hope Watts elects not to nominate for the draft.
Good point, if the two WA clubs were to get pick 1 & 2, you'd think that Watts wouldn't nominate