2013 Election Year Party Policies- Liberal | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2013 Election Year Party Policies- Liberal

Second class mothers
TONY ABBOTT From: The Australian

ONE-THIRD of Labor MPs are women and three-quarters of these were Emily's List candidates. At one-quarter of the caucus, Emily's List is arguably Labor's most powerful faction. Apart from abortion, the cause that most galvanises these MPs is the right to paid maternity leave. That's why Kevin Rudd, in decisive action mode, says that it's time to bite the bullet on this issue.

If the Prime Minister thought that referring paid maternity leave to the Productivity Commission would provide an economically conservative solution to his radical women's agenda, he was dead wrong.

The basic problem with the PC's recommendation is that it would create two classes of mother: first-class mothers in the paid workforce who could receive nearly $12,000 from the government (comprising 18 weeks at the minimum wage plus two weeks for the father if he takes time off); and second-class mothers in the unpaid workforce who would receive just $5000 from the government (via a renamed baby bonus).

The PC distinguishes between paid maternity leave (which it describes as a workplace entitlement) and payments to mothers (which it describes as welfare). This particular workplace entitlement, though, is ultimately paid for by the government, not the employer. When both workplace entitlements and welfare payments come from government and aren't related to any particular job, this distinction isunsustainable.

As well, the PC's categorisation misconstrues the baby bonus's original purpose. That the baby bonus was not means-tested shows that it was never intended as a welfare payment. That it was set at $5000 (about 12 weeks' pay at the then minimum wage) shows that it was intended to be a form of government-funded maternity pay for some and a payment in recognition of the costs of having a child for others. By reclassifying the baby bonus as a welfare payment, the Rudd Government has been able to justify taking it away from so-called wealthy families and to rekindle the demand for paid maternity leave over and above all other government payments.

Because the PC universal paid maternity scheme would be government-funded, Rudd won't be able to avoid responsibility for its unfair consequences. Under the scheme, a mother of one earning $150,000 a year could receive $12,000 from the government regardless of her partner's income. By contrast, as a result of the baby bonus means test, $150,000 families with a stay-at-home mum receive nothing on the birth of a child even if they already have several children. Because large families are not rich, even on $150,000 a year, Rudd, if he implements the PC scheme, will be making an ideological distinction between different types of mother.

There are two ways to avoid this problem. The first, making universal maternity leave a charge on business (similar to compulsory superannuation) would upset the business lobby. The second, increasing the baby bonus and dropping the means test, would infuriate the Emily's List faction who think stay-at-home mums are letting down the side.

The more children a woman has, the less likely it is that she will be in the paid workforce, especially while her children are young. Providing more government benefits to employed mothers than to stay-at-home ones is not only unfair but it's going to strike many people as an attack on the traditional family. Conservative brownie points for making it easier for employed women to stay at home with their newborns won't outweigh the scheme's ideological bias towards the two-income family.

Adopting the PC maternity leave scheme would confirm the ways in which the Rudd Government is reverting to Labor type. The pre-election promises, Kyoto, the apology, withdrawing from Iraq and revising Work Choices, could be characterised as removing the hard edges of the Howard government.

Means-testing the baby bonus, on the other hand, gutting work for the dole, reducing the obligations on the unemployed, softening immigration detention, undermining the Australian Building and Construction Commission, watering down the Northern Territory intervention, not increasing Australian troop numbers in Afghanistan, changing the school chaplaincy program and, finally, the easy come, easy go attitude to the surplus smacks of Peter Garrett-style "changing it all once we get in".

Up until now, the only people Rudd has been prepared to alienate are the ostensibly rich. Adopting the PC maternity leave recommendations would be popular with the commentariat, so couldn't really count as a hard decision. It would, though, upset a lot of people who thought Rudd's conservatism just might be real.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion/second-class-mothers/story-e6frg6zo-1111117804654

The coalition line at the moment is contradictory and hypocritical. Contradictory because Hockey is saying the 'age of entitlement is over', while Abott is bringing in paid maternal leave on a more you earn the more you get basis, and is saying he will abolish the meagre means testing on payments that the ALP brought in. Its hypocritical because while they are critical of middle class welfare, but they invented it when they started writing cheques to middle class people because they had no idea what to do with the mining boom money. (this created 2 problems, creating a sense of entitlement in those who didn't need handout, and also failing to spend the money on infrastructure mortgaged the future and handballed the deficit down the line, a perfect dumb shitstorm, and Abbott is running on responsible economic management, and it appears 25-30% of people are dumb enough to buy it, its depressing.)

Bumped into the Liberal Candidate for Eden-Monaro, Peter Hendey yesterday in the Queanbeyan CBD shopping centre. He is a good bloke with typical Liberal Views which in truth one would hope he would have being that party's representative and all.

I spoke to him about the great difficulties small business owners are having with the current Work Place Relations laws and how it is a better return to leave our money in the bank than it is to invest in small business. He agreed of course but said he couldn't tell us the finite detail of the Libs WRP with regards to the Retail Industry.

I went onto say that Labor Policy is not all wrong and their NBN policy is far superior to the Libs from a technical perspective. He said yes but where is the money comming from - this is where I pounced and said if you do not see this as an investment in your kids future then you're not the man I can vote for. It is not a cost it is an investment in Australia's future - but then again you Libs have always been poor at building infrastructure - look at the Howard Years and the number of city and country roads and rail projects that should have been done with that massive surplus?

His aide came to his help by advising the Libs NBN has not been fully explained as yet and will be as the election rolls into full swing. He added that fibre to all Medical Places thus ensuring the Health Industry is on a complete fibre network same for Education and all Business estates will have fibre to the businesses premises. Now that makes a lot of sense. But there is a sting in the tail - for residential it will be fibre to the node and then using the current copper network to the home - there will be an option for the resident to pay for fibre to the home from the node and prices are being discussed with the relevant companies.

That solution works - but - it is discriminatory in that two children from the same classroom will have fibre to that classroom but one whose family can afford it will have it to the home where homework is done - the other whose family is on a tight budget and cannot afford it will be put behind his classmate in the education stakes. That IMO is wrong.

If the Libs were prepared to take over the Labor NBN but run the installation project better they would have my vote - right now I am prevaricating between very poor Workplace Relations Policy and a great fair NBN OR good WRP and a less fairer NBN.

Shame we cannot pick the best policies from both parties and make the new government introduce them..........

So Abbott wants to axe the CT, but keep the compo payouts? How does that fit with anything? Hold on to your hats if Tone get in. Its gunna get weird, not HR Puff'n'stuff weird, Silvio Berlusconi weird.

tigersnake said:
So Abbott wants to axe the CT, but keep the compo payouts? How does that fit with anything? Hold on to your hats if Tone get in. Its gunna get weird, not HR Puff'n'stuff weird, Silvio Berlusconi weird.

Things are already crazy weird, people preferring to line Gina Rinehart's pockets instead of having a decent NBN, people in a state of denial over climate change, people convinced that all deficits are evil, people convinced that Australia is in an economically perilous state (despite the opposite being true).

Labor has not been without it's faults but the harsh assessment of the electorate completely contradicts the relative health of the economy. If Tony happens to fulfill his pledge of a surplus at all costs, then I guess everyone will simply have to suck it up, that includes massive public sector cuts, a slowdown in economic activity, an increase in unemployment, a greater divide between the haves and have nots.

What Tony Abbott has illustrated is that character assassination is enough to win power, forget your budgetary costing, this is an era where people's fear and loathing has eclipsed the need for proper scrutiny.

Where are the cuts going to come from? Let's just wait and see, but whatever happens one can rest assured that it won't be pretty. The razor gang are headed your way.

bullus_hit said:
Things are already crazy weird, people preferring to line Gina Rinehart's pockets instead of having a decent NBN, people in a state of denial over climate change, people convinced that all deficits are evil, people convinced that Australia is in an economically perilous state (despite the opposite being true).

Where are the cuts going to come from? Let's just wait and see, but whatever happens one can rest assured that it won't be pretty. The razor gang are headed your way.

your a pretty well rounded guy Bully. Juniors and politics.

You can read about the Libs baby steps towards sellng the ABC and SBS here

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/political-news/state-liberals-propose-privatising-abc-sbs-20130521-2jz5d.html

This could be a deal breaker.

bullus_hit said:
people convinced that Australia is in an economically perilous state (despite the opposite being true).

Labor has not been without it's faults but the harsh assessment of the electorate completely contradicts the relative health of the economy.

Have to disagree. Why do you think gov't revenues are down, specifically company tax receipts?

Have clients in numerous industries and times are tough for small business, little signs of things improving either IMO. Various factors at play but lack of confidence in the gov't does play a part.

Agree though that people have a very simplistic view of the budget but Swan has made some crazy promises re the budget. When the average punter thinks labour - deficit, liberal - surplus, surplus - good economic manger, deficit - bad economic manager then you are going to have to be able to explain to these people why this is not necessarily true.

Was a good article in the age from Kenneth Davidson on the budget

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/politics/swan-has-prepared-the-way-for-austerity-abbott-20130519-2juhp.html

bullus_hit said:
What Tony Abbott has illustrated is that character assassination is enough to win power,

Come off it Bullus.

If Tony Abbott gets into power, it will simply illustrate how incompetent the ALP and Gillard have been.
I have said many times before, that the majority of people want Gillard and co. out more than wanting Abbott in....and don't mention character assassination, when Gillard has been playing the gender-card as a last resort to try and buy female votes, as well as unfairly denigrating Abbott as a "misogynist" and twisting anything he says (even when praising women) into some anti-female rant.

Liverpool said:
Come off it Bullus.

If Tony Abbott gets into power, it will simply illustrate how incompetent the ALP and Gillard have been.
I have said many times before, that the majority of people want Gillard and co. out more than wanting Abbott in....and don't mention character assassination, when Gillard has been playing the gender-card as a last resort to try and buy female votes, as well as unfairly denigrating Abbott as a "misogynist" and twisting anything he says (even when praising women) into some anti-female rant.

There's not 1 decent leader within cooee of Canberra. No doubt the Libs will be in power come Sept. 15, then heaven help us from absolute lightweights in Abbott, Hockey, Bishop, Pine, Hunt and co. This will be a government dictated to but the mega rich far right.

Who needs The Chaser when you've got politicians like that

Liverpool said:
Come off it Bullus.

Newsflash to Livers - Ms Gillard is no longer PM - KRudd is.

Get with the program dude.

Tigers of Old said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W07iytEr9lY

What a muppet this guy is. :hihi

muppett? i thought he outlined the libs policies quite well. scrap the carbon tax and stop the boats, and they have a real plan.
it would be hard for him to say much else when there isnt much else to say.

actually if you just read the transcript, you would think it was an interview with Abbott.

Love the people on this thread calling Penny Wong a liar without even realising it, very amusing. :hihi :hihi

Look like the Liberals can totally stuff things up to...

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/coalition-announces-internet-filter--and-immediately-backs-down-20130905-2t7nb.html

Coalition announces internet filter ... and immediately backs down
James Robertson, Ben Grubb and Heath Aston

Turnbull backpedals on internet filter
Coalition's internet filtering policy was withdrawn within hours of its release, but not before opposition communications spokesman Malcolm Turnbull told ABC Radio how it worked.

Comment: Abbott and Turnbull play us for fools
The Coalition has made an embarrassing backdown from a commitment that it would require internet service providers to censor "adult content", saying a policy document it released two days before the election was "in error".

On Thursday afternoon the Coalition's $10 million "Policy to Enhance Online Safety for Children" seemed to resurrect an Australian internet filter.

Honest ... Malcolm Turnbull.
Embarrassing blunder: Coalition communications spokesman Malcolm Turnbull. Photo: ABC
Under the last-minute plan - which was not accompanied by any press release or announcement - Australian mobile phone and internet service providers would be required to censor ‘‘adult content’’ on the internet unless users opt out.

But by Thursday evening, the Coalition’s communications spokesman, Malcolm Turnbull, announced the policy had been changed so that users would opt in if they wanted the filter.

‘‘All I can say to you is mistakes happen,’’ Mr Turnbull said. ‘‘As soon as I became aware of the policy having been released in the form it was I took steps to correct it.’’

However, at 5.30pm on Thursday, Mr Turnbull had defended the opt-out feature of the surprise policy during an appearance on Triple J, saying "What [our policy] does is essentially install that software either in the smartphone or in the modem as a default which you can switch off but then that's at your call."

In announcing the opt-out filter's demise, Mr Turnbull later tried to explain his earlier defence of the "incorrect" policy.

‘‘I read the policy for the first time when it was released this afternoon,’’ he said.

‘‘I defended it as best I could and then as soon as I had an opportunity to ensure that it was withdrawn and corrected I did.’’

The policy had received the tick of approval from Opposition Leader Tony Abbott and other senior Liberals before being released.

Mr Abbott has admitted he read and signed off on the election policy document, saying the Coalition would impose a blanket internet filter on Australians.

“I read the policy last night, quickly it has to be said, and I thought it was a reference to the ability of people to get PC-based filter that’s what I thought it was,” Mr Abbott said.

“I’m sorry it was badly worded.”

Mr Abbott defended the quality and detail of the rest of the Coalition’s policies after the debacle was revealed.

“In this particular instance, there was a failure of quality of control.”

“There was a badly worded sentence or two in the document that went out or earlier today. The fact is we think there should be commercially available filters for PC and mobile phone users to opt in to if they wish.”

He clarified the Coalition's stance, saying: “We don’t support internet filtering, we’ve never supported internet filtering.”

The Rudd government was the only government to support internet filtering, he said.

At the time of the policy's launch, Liberal MP Paul Fletcher, chairman of the Coalition’s online safety working group, had told Fairfax the policy was ‘‘about protecting children’’.

Liberal MP Alex Hawke, on Thursday afternoon said: ‘‘Our point is for the welfare of children going forward, where people aren’t necessarily up to date.’’

Mr Turnbull said the Coalition had supported the rights of consumers to install their own net filtering software, but had long opposed compulsory filters.

‘‘These filters don't work,’’ he said. ‘‘They're so easy to get around.’’

‘‘One of my key criticisms of the Conroy filter was it created a false sense of security.’’

One senior Liberal was seemingly caught unawares by the internet filter policy: ‘‘That's news to me,'' shadow treasurer Joe Hockey said in an appearance on Channel 10’s The Project.

"I will check it out’’.

The announcement and immediate reversal came almost a year after Labor abandoned a mandatory internet filter, which the Coalition opposed.

Senior Labor minister Chris Bowen said the policy "farce" showed why the Coalition couldn't be trusted in government.

"It's about trusting a political party which can put out major policies, major initiatives in the dying hours of an election campaign, and what that means about their judgment," he told ABC TV's Lateline.

with Lucy Battersby and AAP

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/coalition-announces-internet-filter--and-immediately-backs-down-20130905-2t7nb.html#ixzz2e4bUAqf3

good article in the age today about a few of the libs policies.

last election they had nothing like an NBN now they have a poor cheaper derivative.
spent a long time calling Labours school funding 'conski' now they suddenly agree with it.
spent the last few years talking up a surplus, saying they would have one straight away, then it was soon, then it was within 10 years, now they have no timeframe.

added to policies like the National Disability Insurance Scheme which they did nothing about in their long term in government but now are trying to claim bipartisanship over.
policies like their 'direct action plan' for cutting emissions which is capped at an amount that experts dont believe will be effective to reach the libs state goal of a 5% reduction.
policies like their horribly inequitable paid parental leave scheme.
policies like the 'stop the boats' which they are now saying gives them the option of keeping secret any boat arrivals, or loss of lives at sea.
their internet filter policy,- oh actually that is not a policy. Abbott was on radio this morning saying he misread the policy that was released, kinda like he misunderstood Leigh Sales' question "have you read the statement" in reference to the BHP and the mining tax (in fairness that was a tricky question.

i guess when you have policy issues it is lucky that have quality candidates, like 'where's wally' diaz who hasnt been seen since his memorable interview, or like the one with 'sex appeal', i cant remember her name, but she has 'sex appeal'. her attempt to link sydney's traffic problem to asylum seekers was a little unfortunate tho.
and if you still arent convinced to vote for the libs, just remember Tony is the one with the "not bad looking daughters" (his words not mine)

forgot to add the libs plan to reduce the wages of childcare workers and remove the need for any to have qualifications.
also their plan to strip funding from aboriginal legal aid services.

https://www.getup.org.au/campaigns/media/murdoch-ad-update/why-we-were-banned?t=dXNlcmlkPTc4MzMzMixlbWFpbGlkPTI2MzE%3D

My advice to you is that you read this and see the video before you vote today. Don't let Rupert Murdoch's political agenda influence your vote today... vote for what you believe in, not what a media mogul believes in.

Brodders17 said:
forgot to add the libs plan to reduce the wages of childcare workers and remove the need for any to have qualifications.

that's a despicable policy. pay people a fortune to have kids then skimp on their welfare. absolutely stuffed up priorities. childcare workers should be respected and valued more to attract the best people possible to care for the kids.