2014 Draft/2014 Nat Champs | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2014 Draft/2014 Nat Champs

SCOOP said:
Really? That's a good question. Who are you personal faves in this years crop?

For me, I reckon Angus Brayshaw is a culture changer. Everything about him screams AFL skipper within three years. I rate him higher then I did Ollie Wines at the same age.

Petracca versus Brayshaw will be argued for many years to come, I'm still undecided as to who will come out trumps. Brayshaw was in the top 3 players in 7 out of 11 matches at TAC level, everything he does is at the upper limits for impact. His dual-sidedness also gives him the edge over a player like Ollie Wines, it wouldn't surprise to see him captaining Melbourne in a few years.

One of my other favourites is Laverde, to me he has the ability to be the next Stevie J, it just becomes a question of fine tuning his game so he doesn't become a reckless kamikaze.

Lever is another dark horse, being injured this year hasn't dampened his stocks and he could well turn out to be the best tall out of the entire draft class.

I've mentioned Neal-Bullen before as a value pick and anyone who picks him up in the second round should get great service. I've cooled a little on Gore after doing some number crunching and now have Neal-Bullen as my preferred option.

Bampton has also risen in my estimation and I have updated his profile in the Phantom Draft thread, the most notable finding was his KE & DE at senior level, 81% & 85% respectably.

As for pick 12, Weller, Cocky or Wright would make me a very happy camper.

bullus_hit said:
Reckon we see things a little differently on this one, here's my profile on DM.

Daniel McKenzie (Oakleigh Charges)
183cm, 77kg
Rebounding Defender / Midfielder

Much like Cockatoo, Daniel McKenzie is the ultimate athlete, he's lightening quick finishing 4th in the repeat sprints, second in the agility, 7th in the 3km time trial and 3rd in the running vertical jump. Perhaps the most pleasing thing for Daniel is he regularly uses these traits on game day, often tearing away from opponents and bouncing his way down the ground. His natural instinct is to play on at all costs, it's a trait that has me likening him to Shaun Atley, but all things considered I believe he has a far greater ceiling to Atley due to his superb delivery. His kicking efficiency is through the roof and the vast majority of his disposals find their mark, whether that be over long distances or short.

Playing for the Chargers this year Mckenzie's last 2 months of football were electric, he was nominated by his coach as BOG in the TAC grand final and leading up to that he was featuring in the bests in most games he played. Despite only a cameo role in the u/18 championships he did everything asked of him with an 18 possession game against Vic Country at the impressive DE of 89%, this was no fluke either, his KE at TAC level has been 70% & his DE 78%, exceptional numbers for a guy who regularly opts to kick long.

Mckenzie's other strengths lie in in his contested marking ability which he has consistently put on show playing for Oakleigh. His phenomenal leap allows him to get some serious elevation and this was backed up at the combine where he displayed outstanding jumping abilities off both legs.

Looking to the future I see McKenzie as being one of the most damaging rebounding defenders in the game, he certainly takes the points out of this year's draft crop. Whereas Harrison Wigg & Dillon Viojo-Rainbow tend to slow things down & pinpoint their mark, McKenzie just darts away gathering extra metres in the process. There may also be a time when Daniel pushes up into the midfield, this will probably be contingent on his body filling out but at 183cm he's a nice height to be able to mix it with the game's best.

Shhhhhhhhhh bullus -We are trying to keep Daniel under wraps & Get him with a 3rd rounder ;)

I love this kids pace & Ability to read the ball in the air and is a fantastic mark for his size (plays alot taller than 183cm) Super courageous with excellet kicking skills

reminds me alot of Leigh Montagna

Knightmare on BF put up his latest phantom tonight, has us taking Wright, Miller and Webb. I'd be over the moon with that.

Stylo said:
Knightmare on BF put up his latest phantom tonight, has us taking Wright, Miller and Webb. I'd be over the moon with that.

Yes, very good haul, still lacking in speed but I guess Taylor Hunt makes up for that. Still can't believe we're in the frame for Wright, unbelievable.

bullus_hit said:
Yes, very good haul, still lacking in speed but I guess Taylor Hunt makes up for that. Still can't believe we're in the frame for Wright, unbelievable.

I would take that in a heartbeat. Miller is someone I rate. Reckon he is at worst a better Jarryd Blair and at best another Dion Priesta. And Webb is something we don't have, a long kicking half forward, lot of Zaharakis about him. Wright at 12? I'll believe it when it happens but you have to make that pick if its there. Although if we take Weller ahead of him we will still have got a jet.

SCOOP said:
I would take that in a heartbeat. Miller is someone I rate. Reckon he is at worst a better Jarryd Blair and at best another Dion Priesta. And Webb is something we don't have, a long kicking half forward, lot of Zaharakis about him. Wright at 12? I'll believe it when it happens but you have to make that pick if its there. Although if we take Weller ahead of him we will still have got a jet.

bullus_hit said:

Amazing isn't it. I couldn't believe how far Grundy slid in 2012 - this is even more ridiculous considering how good of a forward Wright is. I personally see him as 70% forward 30% ruck in the future.

It's a good situation to be in really. Provided Langford and De Goey go top 10, GWS pass on Wright and WCE take Cockatoo, it's pretty much either Weller or Wright for us depending on what the Cats do. Either way is a massive win. Fingers crossed that's how the cards fall.

I understand the desire for Wright. I just do not see the club selecting him. I think the desire for a quick return and the number of tall forwards we already have will mean the club takes the best mid available. Would not be upset if they took him just don't think they will

Must say i am impressed with the Pickett interview on AFL dot com..

He seems pretty good and pretty determined, tough too!

Stylo said:
Amazing isn't it. I couldn't believe how far Grundy slid in 2012 - this is even more ridiculous considering how good of a forward Wright is. I personally see him as 70% forward 30% ruck in the future.

It's a good situation to be in really. Provided Langford and De Goey go top 10, GWS pass on Wright and WCE take Cockatoo, it's pretty much either Weller or Wright for us depending on what the Cats do. Either way is a massive win. Fingers crossed that's how the cards fall.

Yeah, I'd be happy with one of those two. But it's so wide open, there will be shocks. I think at 12 someone is going to be there that we haven't even discussed.

No possible way to predict who we take. But I was massively wrong on Weller early on, he's got some tricks. Bit of Chad Wingard about him. I could see him playing in 2015 across half forward and doing some good things.

Stylo said:

Just wet my pants! ;D

That would be amazing.

AFL Draft 2014: Peter Bampton hopeful recruiters have long memories (News.com.au)

22 hours ago November 16, 2014 8:30PM

PETER Bampton admits feeling pretty low as MRI scans revealed more bad news in August.

“It was definitely pretty tough,’’ he says.

“It’s just been a terrible year with injuries for me but it’s also been a great learning curve about how to go about the rehabilitation side of things and dealing with setbacks.”

The 18-year-old Redleg had gone up for a mark at training on the eve of SANFL finals and landed heavily on his shoulder.

“Straight away it didn’t feel good, it felt numb.” he says.

Scans revealed extensive ligament damage and the tough Lobethal teenager has since undergone a full shoulder reconstruction.

It continued a wretched year with injury for Bampton who just 12 months ago was rated as one of the best AFL prospects in his age group after bursting on the SANFL scene as a big-bodied 17-year-old midfielder.

Earlier in the season, Bampton missed the entire national under-18 carnival after hurting ligaments in his ankle.

Bampton, who is well on the way to recovering from his shoulder operation, hopes AFL scouts will remember his 2013 season on National Draft day but admits he is unsure whether he will be taken.

“I’ve definitely got a ‘wait and see’ attitude.’’ he says.

“After the year I’ve had, I’ve got no idea what will happen on draft night (November 27.

“What will be will be.”

One man who believes AFL clubs should select Bampton is Norwood coach Ben Warren, who says the teenager’s inside contested ball winning ability is elite.

“He’s also the hardest working guy on the track and he has a terrific attitude,’’ Warren says.

Bampton grew up on a farm in Lobethal and credits his country up bringing for his tough body and playing style.

“I was always outside as a kids,’’ he says.

“Growing up in the hills was great.”

If his name is not called next week Bampton will continue to chase the AFL dream but will be satisfied as long as he is playing the best level he can.

“Whether that is league football for Norwood, or whether it’s playing for Lobethal, I want to be playing the highest level football I can.”
Originally published as Bampton injury-free and hopeful

http://www.news.com.au/sport/breaking-news/afl-draft-2014-peter-bampton-hopeful-recruiters-have-long-memories/story-fnect155-1227124784061