2014 Draft/2014 Nat Champs | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2014 Draft/2014 Nat Champs

willo said:
Only height.

Height itself isn't a problem. It's a matter of which performance deficiencies translate from his lack of height. So far I saw one really pathetic tackle, which is more due to a combination of being short and skinny and therefore being weak (a strength issue). He could potentially put on muscle and improve as a tackler though.

In the infallible internet highlight video, I didn't see any other performance issues due to his height, so I'm curious why it's a problem.

Chimptastic said:
Height itself isn't a problem. It's a matter of which performance deficiencies translate from his lack of height. So far I saw one really pathetic tackle, which is more due to a combination of being short and skinny and therefore being weak (a strength issue). He could potentially put on muscle and improve as a tackler though.

In the infallible internet highlight video, I didn't see any other performance issues due to his height, so I'm curious why it's a problem.

Not too many 167cm players get an opportunity these days. Unless he has plenty of tricks and no flaws, he may not get one either. Unfortunately.

willo said:
Not too many 167cm players get an opportunity these days. Unless he has plenty of tricks and no flaws, he may not get one either. Unfortunately.

It seems there isn't a good football reason then, just traditional views.

Will take a keen interest in his career as he's a perfect example of a player being perfect but lacking only in height (and strength). He'll get more high tackle free kicks than the Selwood brothers combined.

Chimptastic said:
It seems there isn't a good football reason then, just traditional views.

Will take a keen interest in his career as he's a perfect example of a player being perfect but lacking only in height (and strength). He'll get more high tackle free kicks than the Selwood brothers combined.

May be a reason for traditional views. Perhaps the odds are fairly long that a player of that stature will forge a career. Not many can make a full time career as a small forward, if he was to change in the midfield how would he stack up against the likes of a Mundy, Kennedy etc . Whether that's right or not that's the perception. It might be different if the ball was at ground level longer, but at 66kgs if he was playing as a small forward ala Ballantyne, he still needs plenty of work to put some meat on his frame. Time will tell. I hope he can realise his dream and his dedication pays off.

I watched the Weller video. Some very nice skills and tricks, but gee he is very slight. I have never watched his brother play, but he doesn't seem to be setting the world on fire.

Any risk Weller could be a flop?

Tigerflag2008 said:
I watched the Weller video. Some very nice skills and tricks, but gee he is very slight. I have never watched his brother play, but he doesn't seem to be setting the world on fire.

Any risk Weller could be a flop?
Yes, there is a risk.

Anyone got an opinion on Jaden McGrath? I haven't seen a great deal of him (been injured most of this year I think) but he seems a solid type, speedy, good skills.

Tigerdog said:
Anyone got any thoughts on Viojo-Rainbow?

Natural footballer who's sure to find a home, I prefer him over the more highly fancied Wigg to be honest. If he was available with our third rounder I would seriously consider.

bullus_hit said:
Natural footballer who's sure to find a home, I prefer him over the more highly fancied Wigg to be honest. If he was available with our third rounder I would seriously consider.

That's interesting Bully. I reckon Wigg's got the best shoe in the draft. Could be a real rebounding defender like Matthew Suckling. We need that.

SCOOP said:
That's interesting Bully. I reckon Wigg's got the best shoe in the draft. Could be a real rebounding defender like Matthew Suckling. We need that.

Viojo-Rainbow is taller with greater athletic upside, Wigg is about on par with Sam Coulqhoun who's struggling to break into Port's side and will soon have Darcy-Byrne breathing down his neck. The best rebounding defender is Daniel Mckenzie by the length of Flemington straight, he's lightening quick, a strong contested mark and his natural instinct is to run off his man. He's the guy I would be all over with our second rounder.

bullus_hit said:
Viojo-Rainbow is taller with greater athletic upside, Wigg is about on par with Sam Coulqhoun who's struggling to break into Port's side and will soon have Darcy-Byrne breathing down his neck. The best rebounding defender is Daniel Mckenzie by the length of Flemington straight, he's lightening quick, a strong contested mark and his natural instinct is to run off his man. He's the guy I would be all over with our second rounder.

I like McKenxie as well but he can be a bit reckless with the ball. Plays on into trouble and causes hot potato chains. Also struggles to get involved in the game. Bit too much Matt Dea about him. Pass for me. Will be disappointed if we burn a second rounder on him.

SCOOP said:
I like McKenxie as well but he can be a bit reckless with the ball. Plays on into trouble and causes hot potato chains. Also struggles to get involved in the game. Bit too much Matt Dea about him. Pass for me. Will be disappointed if we burn a second rounder on him.

Reckon we see things a little differently on this one, here's my profile on DM.

Daniel McKenzie (Oakleigh Charges)
183cm, 77kg
Rebounding Defender / Midfielder

Much like Cockatoo, Daniel McKenzie is the ultimate athlete, he's lightening quick finishing 4th in the repeat sprints, second in the agility, 7th in the 3km time trial and 3rd in the running vertical jump. Perhaps the most pleasing thing for Daniel is he regularly uses these traits on game day, often tearing away from opponents and bouncing his way down the ground. His natural instinct is to play on at all costs, it's a trait that has me likening him to Shaun Atley, but all things considered I believe he has a far greater ceiling to Atley due to his superb delivery. His kicking efficiency is through the roof and the vast majority of his disposals find their mark, whether that be over long distances or short.

Playing for the Chargers this year Mckenzie's last 2 months of football were electric, he was nominated by his coach as BOG in the TAC grand final and leading up to that he was featuring in the bests in most games he played. Despite only a cameo role in the u/18 championships he did everything asked of him with an 18 possession game against Vic Country at the impressive DE of 89%, this was no fluke either, his KE at TAC level has been 70% & his DE 78%, exceptional numbers for a guy who regularly opts to kick long.

Mckenzie's other strengths lie in in his contested marking ability which he has consistently put on show playing for Oakleigh. His phenomenal leap allows him to get some serious elevation and this was backed up at the combine where he displayed outstanding jumping abilities off both legs.

Looking to the future I see McKenzie as being one of the most damaging rebounding defenders in the game, he certainly takes the points out of this year's draft crop. Whereas Harrison Wigg & Dillon Viojo-Rainbow tend to slow things down & pinpoint their mark, McKenzie just darts away gathering extra metres in the process. There may also be a time when Daniel pushes up into the midfield, this will probably be contingent on his body filling out but at 183cm he's a nice height to be able to mix it with the game's best.

SCOOP said:
You can certainly polish them Bully. ;D

He's one of my favourites Scoop, I reckon he possesses all the traits necessary to make it.

bullus_hit said:
He's one of my favourites Scoop, I reckon he possesses all the traits necessary to make it.

Really? That's a good question. Who are you personal faves in this years crop?

For me, I reckon Angus Brayshaw is a culture changer. Everything about him screams AFL skipper within three years. I rate him higher then I did Ollie Wines at the same age.