2014 Draft/2014 Nat Champs | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2014 Draft/2014 Nat Champs

Gus said:
178cm, 82kg. Top 30% for vertical jumps, bottom 30% for the 3 sprint tests, top 20% for agility, 14/9 beep test and top 30% for the repeat sprints.
I think clubs would be pleased with his results.

Thanks Gus, yeah pretty good results there. I'd love him in the second round but suspect the Hawks with take him with 31.

TigerMasochist said:
Saw the Lamb article on the AFL website this morning, grand son of Ian Cooper gives the kid a massive pedigree, poor bugger ;D. As with all juniors the highlights reel is obviously full of his good stuff n none of his stuff ups. Quality character that the kid recognises he didn't have a very good champs so put in extra work to make sure his work at the combine was first class.
I realise that we're more concerned with hunting up some more midfield grunt n pace but first thing I thought of when watching his clip was Norman Gunston from Dawkthorn. Mobilility, marking, ground skills, ability to finish n tank big enough for repeat efforts up n down the ground.
Some club with a couple of key forwards and a late first to mid second rounder are gunna top up nicely with this one I think.
StKilda and Hawthorn link via father Ian and uncle Graham
Father was a tall skinny sickly type who did better in VFA than VFL
Shame he's not related to Robbie Lamb who was a very sharp Tiger footballer just at the wrong time.

Is there any chance FJ could call out the surname Miles at both our 4th and 5th picks ?.

Geoff Miles young bloke has shown a bit and has some of the attributes we need so we could certainly do worse at Pick 70.

billyb#40 said:
StKilda and Hawthorn link via father Ian and uncle Graham
Father was a tall skinny sickly type who did better in VFA than VFL
Shame he's not related to Robbie Lamb who was a very sharp Tiger footballer just at the wrong time.
Who is his dad?

bullus_hit said:
It's usually the big burly forwards who slip, Hourigan was the classic example last year. This year I can't see that happening
Just read that Hourigan has left South Adelaide to play suburban footy. 12 months ago he would've thought he'd be a certainty for AFL, Now he's playing Adelaide suburban footy.

tigertim said:
Just read that Hourigan has left South Adelaide to play suburban footy. 12 months ago he would've thought he'd be a certainty for AFL, Now he's playing Adelaide suburban footy.

Had OP all year. Needs a year of just playing football

Gus, BH and others, how do you rate Tuok Miller against guys like Gore, Neal-Bullen and Bampton? I'm really liking him, the more I see. Just concerned he lacks a bit of explosiveness but seems a very solid type.

Stylo said:
Gus, BH and others, how do you rate Tuok Miller against guys like Gore, Neal-Bullen and Bampton? I'm really liking him, the more I see. Just concerned he lacks a bit of explosiveness but seems a very solid type.

I think Gore has the greatest upside of all 4, there's very few weaknesses in his game and he has the build & height to make a real impression. He's strong overhead and is a real play-maker, it's not uncommon to see him follow-up from a piece of play and push himself into an offensive position. This is what sets him apart from the others in my opinion, he has a natural aggressive streak to his game. At the moment it just comes down to production and churning out larger numbers, something which will come with time.

Neal-Bullen is next in my rankings and will probably make the biggest impression in year 1, his clearance work is top notch and despite not possessing outstanding speed, his agility and strength in the hips allows him the time and space to dispose of the ball effectively.

Touk comes in next, his height will no doubt be a factor in his eventual position and he isn't necessarily the line-breaker that one comes to expect with sub 180cm players. My guess is he will need to produce goals on a regular basis to make it in the AFL, this is something which he has successfully done at TAC level so the signs are promising.

Finally comes Bampton, another who is an inside professional but someone who has a limited outside game. He will probably drift down the order due to pace queries and the fact he won't be fit for a preseason. He would be outstanding value as a third round selection though and should still be on the radar.

My smokey for our second rounder is Daniel McKenzie, his upside is huge and I wouldn't be surprised if we reach a little in the event the others are off the board, I would even pick him ahead of Miller & Bampton at this stage.

bullus_hit said:
I think Gore has the greatest upside of all 4, there's very few weaknesses in his game and he has the build & height to make a real impression. He's strong overhead and is a real play-maker, it's not uncommon to see him follow-up from a piece of play and push himself into an offensive position. This is what sets him apart from the others in my opinion, he has a natural aggressive streak to his game. At the moment it just comes down to production and churning out larger numbers, something which will come with time.

Neal-Bullen is next in my rankings and will probably make the biggest impression in year 1, his clearance work is top notch and despite not possessing outstanding speed, his agility and strength in the hips allows him the time and space to dispose of the ball effectively.

Touk comes in next, his height will no doubt be a factor in his eventual position and he isn't necessarily the line-breaker that one comes to expect with sub 180cm players. My guess is he will need to produce goals on a regular basis to make it in the AFL, this is something which he has successfully done at TAC level so the signs are promising.

Finally comes Bampton, another who is an inside professional but someone who has a limited outside game. He will probably drift down the order due to pace queries and the fact he won't be fit for a preseason. He would be outstanding value as a third round selection though and should still be on the radar.

My smokey for our second rounder is Daniel McKenzie, his upside is huge and I wouldn't be surprised if we reach a little in the event the others are off the board, I would even pick him ahead of Miller & Bampton at this stage.

Thanks BH, appreciate it. Must say I don't envy FJ and co this year, would be a tough one.

Not sure if this is the thread for it, but has anyone got any clue what Richmond will do in the draft? Someone must have an inkling. We are going mids, with 5 picks, does anybody have any clue who we will pick up with the later picks?

Stylo said:

I think Miller is a very good player and I think mid to late 2nd round is about his mark. Gore is an excellent prospect especially given how well he performed at the combine. His athleticism is right up there and his running is excellent. He also performed well with his endurance and most importantly his kicking and goal kicking results cant be faulted. The problem for any player that test like he did is that clubs wonder if they can improve them. He probably doesn't have the scope for improvement that some other players do and that might dictate where he gets drafted.

Neal-Bullen is a solid player but I don't rate him as highly as Miller or Gore. His athleticism is poor but he has great endurance. Bampton is also a solid all-round player

So in summary I'd have Miller and Gore about level although I prefer Gore. NB and Bampton would be behind these guys.

Gus said:
I think Miller is a very good player and I think mid to late 2nd round is about his mark. Gore is an excellent prospect especially given how well he performed at the combine. His athleticism is right up there and his running is excellent. He also performed well with his endurance and most importantly his kicking and goal kicking results cant be faulted. The problem for any player that test like he did is that clubs wonder if they can improve them. He probably doesn't have the scope for improvement that some other players do and that might dictate where he gets drafted.

Neal-Bullen is a solid player but I don't rate him as highly as Miller or Gore. His athleticism is poor but he has great endurance. Bampton is also a solid all-round player

So in summary I'd have Miller and Gore about level although I prefer Gore. NB and Bampton would be behind these guys.

Thanks Gus. Interesting about Neal-Bullen, based on what I've seen I'd have him probably level with Miller, he seems to have a fair turn of speed and a nicely rounded inside/outside game. Great vision and disposal too. My only question with Miller is given his body size and lack of explosiveness will he be able to physically match it with AFL bodies in the midfield?

Stylo said:
Thanks Gus. Interesting about Neal-Bullen, based on what I've seen I'd have him probably level with Miller, he seems to have a fair turn of speed and a nicely rounded inside/outside game. Great vision and disposal too. My only question with Miller is given his body size and lack of explosiveness will he be able to physically match it with AFL bodies in the midfield?

He's not too quick, ran a 3.12sec/20 metre at the SA combine, but he appears to be a very smart footballer who can turn on a dime, in the clinches this is more important than raw speed. His endurance will ensure he gets to most contests and his hands are first class in heavy traffic. I mentioned awhile back that Neal-Bullen needs some modification to his game, fewer rushed kicks and more precision handballing will make him a far more damaging player. He's certainly made inroads in the SANFL and has proven to be versatile enough to play in defence.

Does anybody know or have Gore combine results, I just feel he looks a little slow and looks to be fully developed physically and question how much development would be there - Bit of a man child type ?

turk-d-tiger said:
Does anybody know or have Gore combine results, I just feel he looks a little slow and looks to be fully developed physically and question how much development would be there - Bit of a man child type ?

He ran a 2.94sec/20m at the SA Combine, he is definitely not slow. He also tested in the top third for agility & repeat sprints. His tank can be improved which should assist in improving his overall production. The manchild factor is irrelevant given he's been playing against men in the SANFL, to me he represents outstanding value.

turk-d-tiger said:

His sprint times were quite good and around the top 15%. 2.94 for the 20mtrs was top 13%.
His skills at the combine were quite good as well.

Cockatoo is the player I'd like to see us land with our second round pick. But, I'm not confident he'll be there by the time that pick comes around for us.

captain blood 17 said:
Cockatoo is the player I'd like to see us land with our second round pick. But, I'm not confident he'll be there by the time that pick comes around for us.

There is very little chance that will occur, it's 12 or nothing.

bullus_hit said:
There is very little chance that will occur, it's 12 or nothing.

Yeah it's all or nothing with the Cocky. He's in a pretty unique position. I'm coming around to him. Lot of Daniel Wells to him.

I'm no expert but looking at alot of the highlight packages I like the look of:

Gore - nice mover of the ball and quick.

Nathan Drummond - very solid build and moves very well, good disposal and looks deceptively quick.

Connoe Menadue I hope lasts to pick 33 - He has nice height and looks very quick, needs to fill out a little but lots to like about him.

Teia Miles for a late pick will be handy, Knows how to read the game, is quick and good disposal.

DILLON VIOJO-RAINBOW might be worth a look, great left foot kick, maybe potential to play off half back. Maybe Pick 52 we could get him

Damien Cavka not sold on, looks small and lacks something!!

SO my Picks would be

Pick 12 - Duggan
Pick 32 - Menadue
Pick 52 - Drummond/Gore/Viojo Rainbow
Pick 70 - Teia Miles
Pick 88 - Anthony Miles (Rookie Upgrade)

Free Agent - Taylor Hunt

Rookie List
Ryan Tester - 198cm Tall Defender - Moves very well for a big man, use to play midfield in juniors. Reads the play well, we need a developing defender on the list.
Marcus Hamilton - 18 year old forward aboriginal player, its time we have another crack at one, looks very evasive, quick and smart. Read his bio he has his head screwed on the right way. Could turn into a handy outside player for us.
Jermaine Miller-Lewis is another young abiriginal boy, He is quick, can mark and is a great kick, Reminds me of O'Laughlin from the swans, I would pick Hamilton and Miller-Lewis.
Adam Marcon - Another midfielder to add to our depth, can play straight away, is quick, loves a goal and runs all day. Would be a good fit for us.
Matt Thomas

Ivan Soldo (Cat B)

Gives us the 39 Senior List and 5 Rookies with Ivan Saldo as a Cat B Rookie.

These players fill our needs, Lots of Midfielders with a couple who can play off half back. Then on Rookie list a Developing tall defender with some height to replace Chaplin, a couple of quick forward types and a hard at it midfielder to compliment our team and cover injuries.