2014 draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2014 draft

I haven't seen a minute of him playing this year but there's a bit of a buzz about Matthew Panos' season as an inside mid for Norwood. BOG in SANFL GF, with 28 disposals, 12 clearances and a goal.

spook said:
I haven't seen a minute of him playing this year but there's a bit of a buzz about Matthew Panos' season as an inside mid for Norwood. BOG in SANFL GF, with 28 disposals, 12 clearances and a goal.

KPP turned mid.

Has gone under the radar this season outside of SA.

Could be a real smoky.

Ready to go with a mature body and a very good fitness base.

Thinking he will go somewhere in the draft but could otherwise be a good rookie pickup.

Might have to check...might be that he can be signed as a FA as he was previously delisted by an AFL club...

spook said:

Has done a bit of a Mundy/Rockliff which is admirable. Always felt he'd struggle as an undersized forward, well done to him on reinventing himself.

Gee the more research I do on this draft the more I think it's gonna be a good 'un, and subsequently wish we had a few more selections. There's been a long held view that it's very much a draft for KPPs but really to me the depth lies in the flanks and the midfield, which is exactly what we need to bolster. I'd be happy with a combination of:

1st - Weller, Ahern, Pickett, Duggan, De Goey (assuming Laverde is off the table)
2nd - Garlett, Smith, Anderson, Menadue, Ellis, Wigg, Bampton, Evans, Nelson, Blakely
3rd - Anderson, Cavka, Evans, Bampton, Webb, Mclean, Lonie

So many options, all of which add something we lack.

Stylo said:
3rd - ......., Cavka, .....

It would be nice to have a deep thinker in the group. Though he may be subject to depressive bouts. :)

(Franz K....)

The more I look at Weller, the more I like.

I think I'm warming to him. It's the first year in about five I can't categorically nominate someone as the pick I want.

I think Jarrod Pickett is that player but it's too big of a pipe dream.

And am I mad saying that Jordan De Goey has some Luke Parker in him?

Weller, Ahern, Duggan, De Goey - out of these 4 if any aren't available at our pick it will be Ahern.

Although I prefer Ahern at this pick (who is this years Steele Sidebottom), if he is unavailable, I would be very happy with Weller who will be playing today at the Grand Final curtain raiser.

Would be a solid pick and has smashed it paying as a pure mid. Will slot right into our best 22 and immediately improve the team with his silk and class.

Needs to put on some kilos but this guy will be a star. One of the best if not the best kick in the draft.

I'm hoping he doesn't dominate today with the world watching to increase him on the draft order!

The Suns fans already think he is signed, sealed and delivered to Gold Coast.

I don't know exactly the knock on weller but geez has class. I stand my by earlier posted goss from GC.

Anyone watch the All Stars curtain raiser today?

I saw a bit of it and Weller looked class. Think he finished with about 20 touches and 2 goals. Starting to worry he'll be off the board by our pick.

Stylo said:
Anyone watch the All Stars curtain raiser today?

I saw a bit of it and Weller looked class. Think he finished with about 20 touches and 2 goals. Starting to worry he'll be off the board by our pick.

I have narrowed our first pick to 2.

Ahern, then Weller.

Watched the curtain-raiser too.

Ahern didn't play, but Weller was very impressive.

Lachie Weller looked like he could be another Luke Hodge.

He looked adept at any of midfield, forward or defence. Whether taking the ball from the centre, or crumbing goals, or rebounding from defence.

Reckon he looks a beauty.

Phantom said:
Watched the curtain-raiser too.

Ahern didn't play, but Weller was very impressive.

Lachie Weller looked like he could be another Luke Hodge.

He looked adept at any of midfield, forward or defence. Whether taking the ball from the centre, or crumbing goals, or rebounding from defence.

Reckon he looks a beauty.

20 touches and 2 goals in a game featuring some of the top draft prospects is a very good result.

Thinking it may place him higher on the pecking order now.

Would love to have him at Richmond.

SkillzThatKillz said:
20 touches and 2 goals in a game featuring some of the top draft prospects is a very good result.

Thinking it may place him higher on the pecking order now.

Would love to have him at Richmond.

Especially considering the quarters are capped at 20 min which makes the game about 2 thirds the length of a full match. Could reasonably extrapolate that as a 25-30 touch performance.

I'm developing a serious man crush on Weller.