2014 draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2014 draft

Stylo said:
Especially considering the quarters are capped at 20 min which makes the game about 2 thirds the length of a full match. Could reasonably extrapolate that as a 25-30 touch performance.

I'm developing a serious man crush on Weller.

Whatever happens we'll still land a quality footballer, pick 11 or 12 is right on the cusp of the elite talent, we're very fortunate in that regard. Guys like Duggan & De Goey are in the next tier, not a huge drop off but that second tier extends right through to pick 30. Reckon we can land 2 quality footballers with our first 2 picks.

After watching Weller today, I'm in.

He's our man. Much more flair, pace & funk to his game then I thought.

SCOOP said:
After watching Weller today, I'm in.

He's our man. Much more flair, pace & funk to his game then I thought.

Who did he remind you of Scoop?

SkillzThatKillz said:
Who did he remind you of Scoop?

Not sure, Danye Beams. Loves to kick goals but is a great inside footballer. But can get it on the outside & fly.

Weller may have just replaced Ahern in the Top 10

2nd round selection players i would like
Steele
Cockatoo
Garlett

Caleb Hislop. Tassie boy. 29 touches in 70 minutes play time in yesterday's curtain raiser.

Can get the ball.

Touted as a late draft pick/rookie range.

SCOOP said:
Not sure, Danye Beams. Loves to kick goals but is a great inside footballer. But can get it on the outside & fly.

I thought he was a bit Dal Santo'ish with an improved inside game.

Has a bit of poise and generally makes the right decision.

bullus_hit said:
As for Weller, I just see a little bit of James Aish in him and I was an unabashed fan of Aish last year. His kicking is elite and he's such a smooth mover.

bullus_hit said:
2. James Aish - harshly judged by most in the media, don't know why to be honest. He's been the number 1 target of taggers for most of the year, yet still managed AA honours and an astonishing 84% disposal efficiency. Classy, perfect height, superb agility, the next Dal Santo.

Think we're on the same page here Skillz, I would even say that Weller's inside game is a bit more developed however Aish has had to contend with taggers his whole career so has developed mechanisms to stay in the game despite the heavy attention. Weller's main advantage over Aish is that he can wear the utility hat and play in defence, it gives him another avenue to shake the tags.

SkillzThatKillz said:
Caleb Hislop. Tassie boy. 29 touches in 70 minutes play time in yesterday's curtain raiser.

Can get the ball.

Touted as a late draft pick/rookie range.

Brother of Tom I assume?

bullus_hit said:
Think we're on the same page here Skillz, I would even say that Weller's inside game is a bit more developed however Aish has had to contend with taggers his whole career so has developed mechanisms to stay in the game despite the heavy attention. Weller's main advantage over Aish is that he can wear the utility hat and play in defence, it gives him another avenue to shake the tags.

Agree that we will well and truly be in the running for a quality player with our 1st pick.

I would be happy taking on 4 or 5 draftees this year (plus Miles being upgraded) due to the evenness from the 15-40 range and the number of zone/father/son selections all but done.

Currently we have 3 x picks in the top 48.

We would have to at least delist another, possibly Arnot to pick up the extra pick in the draft.

I suppose due to the clean out of rookies we have that we can pick up the scraps come PSD/rookie draft time.

Would be nice to get another pick inside the top 30 - top 40, especially if McDonough ends up going back to SA.

SkillzThatKillz said:
Would be nice to get another pick inside the top 30 - top 40, especially if McDonough ends up going back to SA.

Another pick in the top 30 will ensure we get either Garlett/Menadue & a quality inside mid, or 2 quality inside mids. This is where the value lies, particularly if we want to inject some depth into the list from day 1. From all reports Blakely has firmed as a first round selection, think we can just about cross him off the list, that leaves Bampton & Miller as the standouts, both who should be on the board between 20 & 30. If McDonough facilitates moving our third pick into this region then I see it as a win/win, sad to see him go but I reckon we can cover his position into the foreseeable future.

Giardiasis said:
The other option is to see if GC are keen on Pick 11 for Pick 14 and Pick 27.

Depends how desperate they are for Weller, it would also mean we'll probably miss out on 1 of Laverde or Ahern. At this point in the draft we would be moving into utility territory or pure inside mid territory, positions which can be filled with later picks. I think I'd want to hold onto 11 and grab a well rounded footballer who could feasibly become an A grader, then hopefully nail one of the sliders in the 20's. Trading down pick 48 to 27 would be better, McDonough showed a lot of promise but if he wants to leave then we may as well get some benefit from his departure.

We should be doing everything possible to keep McDonough. Why we would be ok with moving on our only young genuine small/medium forward is beyond me.

Hawthorn have Breust & Sicily waiting in the wings. And the drafted Dayle Garlett. We have none of either. We need to be doing everything to keep him. We don't need a another hole in the list to fill.

Part of the reason I settled on Weller as the one I want, look at the Hawks. The three best Hodge, Mitchell & Lewis. All inside players who can finsih if they get it out the outside. And then you have Shiels, Langford, Smith, Hill all chipping in.

The more I see Weller, I reckon he is a better Liam Shiels. And I mean that as a absolute compliment.

SCOOP said:
We should be doing everything possible to keep McDonough. Why we would be ok with moving on our only young genuine small/medium forward is beyond me.

Hawthorn have Breust & Sicily waiting in the wings. And the drafted Dayle Garlett. We have none of either. We need to be doing everything to keep him. We don't need a another hole in the list to fill.

Part of the reason I settled on Weller as the one I want, look at the Hawks. The three best Hodge, Mitchell & Lewis. All inside players who can finsih if they get it out the outside. And then you have Shiels, Langford, Smith, Hill all chipping in.

The more I see Weller, I reckon he is a better Liam Shiels. And I mean that as a absolute compliment.

McDonough played primarily as a back flanker though, as a forward he's still untested. I would be happy enough to keep him but ultimately it will come down to his own personal choices.

bullus_hit said:
McDonough played primarily as a back flanker though, as a forward he's still untested. I would be happy enough to keep him but ultimately it will come down to his own personal choices.
In the Newman thread RFCO said they see him long term as a forward.

http://puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=47404.msg1766937#msg1766937

If Mcd insists on going and we need to trade what about Mcd for Andrew Moore from Port.

yandb said:
If Mcd insists on going and we need to trade what about Mcd for Andrew Moore from Port.

I'm not a fan of Moore myself.

I would much prefer a draft pick in return for McDonough.