2014 Hindsight Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2014 Hindsight Draft

Eventually it will be Lever (Adelaide Crows) that will be looked upon as the drafts best.

spook said:
2014 will prove to be a vintage draft.

And Carlton traded out of the top ten, then took a speculative mature ager at pick 19. No wonder they're in such a state.

5SKULL5 said:
Eventually it will be Lever (Adelaide Crows) that will be looked upon as the drafts best.

Seen him a couple of times this year, and he's blown me away. Would be the Rising Star fave had he played all year imo.

Stylo said:
And Carlton traded out of the top ten, then took a speculative mature ager at pick 19. No wonder they're in such a state.

Completely mental strategy. Richmond of 2002. The two bloke they got from GWS haven't fired a shot at senior level and IMO Kristian Jaksch looks miles off it and if Boekhorst (who is 22 by the start of 2016) can't make a impact quickly, then it really is ugly. Some of the names between 7 and 19. Ahern, Wright, Cocky, Duggan, Ellis, Weller, Lever, Durdin. Passed over for 2 Giants and a WAFL wingman. Classic dollar for four quarters move.

SCOOP said:
Completely mental strategy. Richmond of 2002. The two bloke they got from GWS haven't fired a shot at senior level and IMO Kristian Jaksch looks miles off it and if Boekhorst (who is 22 by the start of 2016) can't make a impact quickly, then it really is ugly. Some of the names between 7 and 19. Ahern, Wright, Cocky, Duggan, Ellis, Weller, Lever, Durdin. Passed over for 2 Giants and a WAFL wingman. Classic dollar for four quarters move.

Yep, plus Garlett and Weller. Even shortly after 19 there were guys like Goddard, McKenzie, Webb, Miller, Maynard, Menadue, Lamb and Blakely who have all arguably shown as much or more than Boekhorst. Crazy. Not that I'm complaining :hihi

Stylo said:

The move to trade down wasn't the most horrible I've seen, it all came down to the player selected at 19. Laverde was on the table, a maverick performer who possesses all the tools to play Boekhorst's role but with plenty of upside. Jacksch is a KP prospect, I wouldn't be too harsh on the kid, could still make it. The appalling aspect of this selection was Blaine could have been picked up with Carlton's second pick, it almost seemed they reached early due to some excellent foxing by Essendon who led them a merry dance in feigning interest. Carlton need to clean the decks ASAP.

bullus_hit said:
The move to trade down wasn't the most horrible I've seen, it all came down to the player selected at 19. Laverde was on the table, a maverick performer who possesses all the tools to play Boekhorst's role but with plenty of upside. Jacksch is a KP prospect, I wouldn't be too harsh on the kid, could still make it. The appalling aspect of this selection was Blaine could have been picked up with Carlton's second pick, it almost seemed they reached early due to some excellent foxing by Essendon who led them a merry dance in feigning interest. Carlton need to clean the decks ASAP.
It's ok, Silvagni's in charge now. As long as they get 11 of the first 15 picks I'm sure they'll be fine.

spook said:
It's ok, Silvagni's in charge now. As long as they get 11 of the first 15 picks I'm sure they'll be fine.

Jury still out on Silvagni, but then again things can't get any worse.

spook said:

Did a better job with the Ferrari he was given at GWS, than the bloke at GC (Clayton?). So there is that.

Apparently SOS rolled his eyes when Boekhorst was picked by the Blues.

St Kevin said:
Did a better job with the Ferrari he was given at GWS, than the bloke at GC (Clayton?). So there is that.

Apparently SOS rolled his eyes when Boekhorst was picked by the Blues.

true but I seem to remember GWS was given more handouts (able to trade a number of the top under-agers, 4 I think over 2 years) compared to the Suns - that got them some pretty handy extra top 5 picks from memory

year of the tiger said:
true but I seem to remember GWS was given more handouts (able to trade a number of the top under-agers, 4 I think over 2 years) compared to the Suns - that got them some pretty handy extra top 5 picks from memory
Yep, and the 2011 crop of kids was far superior to the 2010 crop. You only have to look at the 17yos GWS got - Cameron, Treloar, Shiel - compared with the likes of Toy and Matera at GC.

spook said:
Yep, and the 2011 crop of kids was far superior to the 2010 crop. You only have to look at the 17yos GWS got - Cameron, Treloar, Shiel - compared with the likes of Toy and Matera at GC.

Toy was considered a prodigy from memory. Had health issues, but never looked like anything remotely decent.

St Kevin said:
Toy was considered a prodigy from memory. Had health issues, but never looked like anything remotely decent.

I was convinced Toy was the second coming of Chad Cornes. Was supremely confident. Yikes.

Stylo said:

The finished one position above the Dogs and yet went in with a completely different approach. Now they will have to let Yarran and Henderson go for 2nd round picks in what isn't a strong draft.
If they don't get at least 4 picks in the top 50 they will struggle for a long period of time.

Just thought I'd update this thread in light of the latest draft.

12 - Mitch Hibberd
31 - Marcus Adams
50 - Hisham Kerbatieh
67 - Nick O'Kearney

Rookie Draft

12 - Mabior Chol
30 - Adam Marcon
47 - Greg Clark

I didn't do a 2007-2009 draft earlier in this thread but I was definitely on the Cotchin/Rance train, in fact I was prepared to trade into the top ten to ensure we got a quality CHB.

bullus_hit said:
I would opt for Cotchin followed by Rance and then McEvoy, selecting our player should be about list requirements if there are no clear standouts. I guess this really highlights the necessity to trade for a top ten pick if possible. easier said than done but there may be some currency in guys like Schulz or Pettifer.

Also wanted Martin over Morabito and here's why.

bullus_hit said:
Fair comments, he's got upside which is why many people have jumped on the bandwagon. With regards to his endurance, I think we'll get a clearer picture after the draft camp and have some idea as to whether he'll cut it as a permanent midfielder. If he's not got the tank, I wonder where his best position will be - a wing maybe but I would hope for a true goal kicking wingman at pick 3 in the draft.

I don't think he'll slot into a team as seamlessly as Rich, similar build but Rich had quite a few more runs on the board both in terms of raw stats and impact at senior level. Rich's kicking was and still is elite, Morabito whilst being dual sided doesn't possess the same sort of pinpoint accuracy over both long and short distances.

Is he the right man for Richmond at present? I personally think not but I'm sure others may beg to differ.

Here was my wishlist for 2009

bullus_hit said:
Okey dokey, time to lock it in Eddy........

3 Martin
19 Bastinac / Bartlett
35 Griffiths (long shot here, if not then Sam Reid or Matthew Panos)
44 Nat Fyfe
51 Andrew Hooper (short but could be handy when taking on the Steven Milne's of this world)
67 Serhat Temel (might be a Stephen Jurica type but with this pick is worth the risk)
72 Myles Sewell

PSD best young KP player after issuing training invitations

Rookie draft - emphasis on KP players

Was with Frank on the Vickery selection and still think he has enormous potential, this is one I'm putting down to poor development because he has shown A grade potential, particularly the final against North last year. And Riewoldt was also a no-brainer, was expected to go top ten and we almost blew it by picking Polak.

bullus_hit said:
Not sure about Hislop, Armitage was the mid I heard but I'll take your word for it. I did hear we would have gone tall with the next pick if a mid was picked, your boy McKenzie or Tippet would have been the likely candidates in that event.

In the end, I think we can be pleased with the outcome, personally I was delighted with the 2006 draft and believe it was the best we've had in many years. The Polak deal was the icing on the cake and with Conners and Petersen looking good prospects, I don't think we were disadvantaged by trading the third round pick.

I know Claw, the process was wrong in your eyes but be thankful for the good batch a players we now have on our list, the risk paid off and now we can look ahead instead of dwelling on the past.

So here's how the team would look against Frank's (I'm including some of Blair's recruits as well - including Houli)

Backs - Marcus Adams Jack Frost Bachar Houli
Half Backs - Brandon Ellis Alex Rance Adam Saad
Centre - Lachie Weller Luke Parker Rory Atkins
Half Forward - Dustin Martin Jack Darling Brett Deledio
Forwards - Lewis Taylor Jack Riewoldt Sam Reid

Onballers - Brodie Grundy Anthony Miles Trent Cotchin

Bench - Tyrone Vickery Shane Edwards Nick Graham Ryan Bastinac

Emergencies - Kane Lambert Tim Membrey Mitchell Grigg

Ruck Stocks - Ivan Maric, Shaun McKernan, Mabior Chol

Young Guns - Connor Blakley, Mitchell Hibberd, Dean Gore, Jaden McGrath, Reece McKenzie, Nick O'Kearney, Jay Kennedy-Harris, Darcy Byrne-Jones

Depth Players - Adam Marcon, Nic Newman, Shaun Grigg, Steve Johnson, Mitch Clark

State League targets - Hisham Kerbatieh, Greg Clark

I’ll add to mine as I go Bully but good job, I don’t think I’ll be that much different.

Backs - Michael Hibberd Eric McKenzie Bachar Houli
Half Backs - Brandon Ellis Alex Rance Shannon Hurn
Centre - Lachie Weller Luke Parker Dyson Heppell
Half Forward - Anthony Morabito Brett Deledio
Forwards - Jack Ziebell Jack Riewoldt Jeff Garlett

Onballers - Brodie Grundy Anthony Miles Trent Cotchin

Bench - Shaun Grigg Nick Graham Ryan Bastinac Dylan Grimes

Emergencies - Kane Lambert , Aaron Mullett,

Ruck Stocks - Ivan Maric, Jack Fitzpatrick

Young Guns - Connor Blakley, Dean Gore, Jayden Short,

Depth Players - Jarrod Harbrow, Scott Selwood

State League targets - Hisham Kerbatieh, Ben Cavara

SCOOP said:
I’ll add to mine as I go Bully but good job, I don’t think I’ll be that much different.

Pretty sure you were in the Claw camp on Eric McKenzie which is a pretty big hole to fill at FB. Having reread the debate on the issue back in 2006, I'd have to say it was a line-ball call, McKenzie an AA quality player, Edwards rated by Champion Data as a true A grade forward.

I will also add Steve Johnson to my list, this is my first attempt at earmarking a player for coaching duties. The plan is to give him a couple of years of playing time and then bring him in as a forward coach. Could have sealed this deal with a junk pick so no cost involved.