2014 Hindsight Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2014 Hindsight Draft

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
tigersnake said:
Might be tedious, but doesn't make it wrong. A lot of very tedious stuff is correct. There are all sorts of ways you can argue this, you can say it was our own fault we were down, yet again, when it happened. But the fact is, the lower you were, the worse the impact. another fact is, the GC and the GWS took all the vast majority of the guns, the bankers.

They are the players that win you flags.
Care to back up your "facts" with facts?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
tigertim said:
Care to back up your "facts" with facts?

There are no facts. Just a vibe. GC and GWS stuffed up a heap of their early picks and lost a heap more to homesickness and still have a swag of big, fast, strong classy players. Scoop did a really good analysis of an alternative unverse with no plastic clubs a year or two ago, I'd love to find that.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Here's the comparison of state league recruits versus retreads, the worrying aspect is Frank started with a winning hand and then became seduced by half measures. More evidence of his conservatism when it comes to identifying untapped talent.

VFL, SANFL, WAFL high achievers

Rookie pick 24 - Jake King (108)
Rookie pick 17 - Jarrod Silvester (5)
Rookie pick 8 - Robin Nahas (109)
Pick 66 - Sam Lloyd (26)
Rookie pick 46 - Kane Lambert (16)
Pick 67 - Nathan Broad (0)
Rookie pick 47 - Adam Marcon (0)

Notably, we have selected 3 Fothergill-Round winners and they all look the goods. Other winners have been Michael Barlow, Michael Hibberd & Michael Firrito.

Blair Hartley also traded pick 14 for pick 15 and secured Morris who at least contributed as a back pocket and has played 80 games. Now compare that to Frank's recycled list and we get some idea as to why we have gone so horribly wrong.

Retreads

Kent Kingsley - 3 games
Clayton Collard - 0 games
Tristan Cartledge - 2 games
Cameron Howat - 1 game
Tom Hislop - 20 games
Brad Miller - 24 games
Ben Cousins - 32 games
Graham Polak - 3 games
Addam Maric - 10 games
Ricky Petterd - 30 games
Sam Lonergan - 2 games
Orren Stephenson - 7 games
Todd Banfield - 0 games
Anthony Miles - 39 games
Matt Thomas - 15 games
Nathan Gordon - 21 games

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
We should always pick up the reigning Fothergill Medallist with a rookie pick each season. Always. Has been quite successful when you look at the names.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
bullus_hit said:
Blair Hartley also traded pick 14 for pick 15 and secured Morris who at least contributed as a back pocket and has played 80 games. Now compare that to Frank's recycled list and we get some idea as to why we have gone so horribly wrong.

In doing so gave up the chance to draft leysy's love of that draft Devon Smith who went at 14. :mad:

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Leysy Days said:
In doing so gave up the chance to draft leysy's love of that draft Devon Smith who went at 14. :mad:

Ellis vs Smith, line ball call although one could argue Smith is the type we don't have, ironically it's Morris who is fulfilling the role.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Lineball???

No way bully. Smith clearly mate.

And he's an arrogant little bastard who never takes a backward step. Love that.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Leysy Days said:
Lineball???

No way bully. Smith clearly mate.

And he's an arrogant little bastard who never takes a backward step. Love that.

I like Smith as a player but I don't see how he is easily better than Ellis. Granted, Ellis has his faults but he has also made the AA squad and is one of the few players on the list who is capable of notching up 40+ possessions. He could definitely improve his contested game and that's why he cannot be considered A grade for his role. Smith is predominantly a small forward but is some distance from the likes of Rioli, Betts & Boomer, good player and completely justified his selection but not quite an elite talent. Both players are capable of reaching the next level in due course, still only 22.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
bullus_hit said:
I like Smith as a player but I don't see how he is easily better than Ellis. Granted, Ellis has his faults but he has also made the AA squad and is one of the few players on the list who is capable of notching up 40+ possessions. He could definitely improve his contested game and that's why he cannot be considered A grade for his role. Smith is predominantly a small forward but is some distance from the likes of Rioli, Betts & Boomer, good player and completely justified his selection but not quite an elite talent. Both players are capable of reaching the next level in due course, still only 22.

Agree. Lot of hype for a part time on baller.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Nah, Smith impacts games far more than Brandon.

Would swap them in a heartbeat.

Reckon most would.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Leysy Days said:
Nah, Smith impacts games far more than Brandon.

Would swap them in a heartbeat.

Reckon most would.

I would. Half a heartbeat. I'd give ellis and a third rounder for Smith

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Correct.

Smith has the type of attitude and arrogance badly needed in our group.

Already in the GWS 6 man leadership group.

Brandon miles away from that.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Leysy Days said:
Correct.

Smith has the type of attitude and arrogance badly needed in our group.

Already in the GWS 6 man leadership group.

Brandon miles away from that.

If they demanded ellis and a second rounder I'd probably fold, depending on what the second rounder was and who was on the card. Smith is a gun, bit of Nathan Brown about him, gamebreaker material

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
tigersnake said:
If they demanded ellis and a second rounder I'd probably fold, depending on what the second rounder was and who was on the card. Smith is a gun, bit of Nathan Brown about him, gamebreaker material

Couldn't tie Nates boots.

Super glad you are not making deals Snakey.

Massive overs.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
tigersnake said:

Reality check Snake, this from the GWS official website.

Remains one of the competition's most exciting players to watch but needs to find more of the ball consistently to be a match-winner. A 27-possession, four-goal effort against Gold Coast in round 16 showed off Smith's ability, but he had 20 touches or more in just nine of his 20 games. A permanent move into the midfield should be the answer in 2016, but he remains the GIANTS' best and most dangerous small forward option. The arrival of Steve Johnson could be just the opportunity for Smith to become a dominant on-baller.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Snake took it too far with Brown comparison but think you two need to take the blinkers off if you think Brandon impacts games of footy (when it boils down the most important thing) more than Devon.

Not many outside our four walls ;D would think otherwise.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
I know it's not the be-all-end-all but Ellis has 21 Brownlow votes versus Smith's 7, he also has made it to the AA squad and finished runner-up in a best and fairest. There's not too many players at Richmond who regularly average 25 touches a game, he's also kicked 35 goals over that time.

Devon Smith has kicked 73 goals in 83 games, not too bad but for a guy who doesn't get enough of the ball hardly earth shattering stuff. Kayne Pettifer played 113 games and kicked 132 goals, hopefully that brings some perspective to the Devon Smith love-in.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
SCOOP said:
Couldn't tie Nates boots.

Super glad you are not making deals Snakey.

Massive overs.

Didn't say he was there. But he has arrogance and class. I'd still do that deal though.

ps. I'm super glad I'm not making the deals either 8-

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
bullus_hit said:
I know it's not the be-all-end-all but Ellis has 21 Brownlow votes versus Smith's 7, he also has made it to the AA squad and finished runner-up in a best and fairest. There's not too many players at Richmond who regularly average 25 touches a game, he's also kicked 35 goals over that time.

Devon Smith has kicked 73 goals in 83 games, not too bad but for a guy who doesn't get enough of the ball hardly earth shattering stuff. Kayne Pettifer played 113 games and kicked 132 goals, hopefully that brings some perspective to the Devon Smith love-in.

Nope. Watching the game with leysy's eyes tell him who is the better footballer.

The impact Ellis has versus his overblown stats are possibly the inverse leysy has seen. Makes their use in his pro-argument void ILO.

Barnzy

What about me?
Mar 6, 2009
bullus_hit said:

Yep Brandon over Smith.

Much better body of work so far. Brandon has regressed but then again so has Smith this season. I'm backing Brando to bounce back once the team is more settled again.