2014 Hindsight Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2014 Hindsight Draft

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Smith v Ellis from footywire.com

Attachments

• smith v ellis.PNG
    smith v ellis.PNG
    23.7 KB · Views: 65

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Ok, so now that the draft picks are settled it's time to reboot for the 2016 draft. The second Yarran selection will come into play and I'll be looking to boost my defensive stocks. Just one correction from last year, Marcus Adams went at pick 35 which was one earlier than the eventual pick that was traded in the Yarran fiasco. My next preference was Riley Bonner who fills an obvious need in the backline. Here were my comments post draft.

bullus_hit said:
Riley Bonner - Holy cow, another drifter who fell into Port's lap at pick 37. They could hardly contain their excitement when reading out his number, the kid's kicking is Bob Murphy good and he comes in at a very nice height of 191cm. Considering Viojo-Rainbow got picked up in the 20's last year, Bonner is highway robbery.

Now for the big question, do I settle for Dan's trading in it's entirety or look to the draft for a better return? It's a tough one as I don't particularly like the Prestia trade and feel that pick 6 will give a greater return. In saying that, the Caddy & Nankervis trades were bargains so I'm willing to take the good with the bad.

Ins - Prestia, Caddy, Nankervis
Out - Deledio, Vickery, Maric, Mitch Clark, Marcon, Greg Clark, Reece McKenzie, McKernan, Mitch Grigg, Jaden McGrath

Draft Picks - 26, 27, 57, 80, PSD 6, Rookie 6, Rookie 24, Rookie 42.

Backs - Riley Bonner Jack Frost Bachar Houli
Half Backs - Brandon Ellis Alex Rance Adam Saad
Centre - Lachie Weller Luke Parker Rory Atkins
Half Forward - Dustin Martin Jack Darling Josh Caddy
Forwards - Steve Johnson Jack Riewoldt Tim Membrey

Onballers - Brodie Grundy Dion Prestia Trent Cotchin

Bench - Sam Reid Lewis Taylor Anthony Miles Ryan Bastinac

Emergencies - Darcy Byrne-Jones Shaun Grigg Shane Edwards

Ruck Stocks - Toby Nankervis, Mabior Chol

Young Guns - Connor Blakley, Mitchell Hibberd, Dean Gore, Nick O'Kearney, Jay Kennedy-Harris

Depth Players - Nic Newman, Kane Lambert, Nick Graham

State League targets - Hisham Kerbatieh

Candidates for pick 26 - Sam Powell-Pepper if he lasts which is highly unlikely. I like Hayward here but think he's a longshot. Realistically I think it will be the player left out of Rotham & Brennan Cox. Both would add something to my shaky defence.

Candidates for pick 27 - I'm just going to lock in Brandan Parfitt, he will be there and may even drift out to a pick in the third round but I'm backing my judgement.

Candidates for pick 57 - Joe Atley is a strong chance to be around and would be a bargain. Fisher, Guelfi, Lyons & Brayshaw would also come into contention.

Candidates for pick 80 - Kayle Kirby would be a good bet, Olango would also be someone I'd consider here. Romensky another who should slide.

PSD 6 - Bunker & Lachlan Murphy seem obtainable but will assess after the draft.

Rookie pick 6 - see above

Rowdy

11 + 2018 = 12!
Jul 15, 2009
bullus_hit said:
Ok, so now that the draft picks are settled it's time to reboot for the 2016 draft. The second Yarran selection will come into play and I'll be looking to boost my defensive stocks. Just one correction from last year, Marcus Adams went at pick 35 which was one earlier than the eventual pick that was traded in the Yarran fiasco. My next preference was Riley Bonner who fills an obvious need in the backline. Here were my comments post draft.

Now for the big question, do I settle for Dan's trading in it's entirety or look to the draft for a better return? It's a tough one as I don't particularly like the Prestia trade and feel that pick 6 will give a greater return. In saying that, the Caddy & Nankervis trades were bargains so I'm willing to take the good with the bad.

Ins - Prestia, Caddy, Nankervis
Out - Deledio, Vickery, Maric, Mitch Clark, Marcon, Greg Clark, Reece McKenzie, McKernan

Draft Picks - 25, 27, 57, 80, PSD 6, Rookie 6.

Backs - Riley Bonner Jack Frost Bachar Houli
Half Backs - Brandon Ellis Alex Rance Adam Saad
Centre - Lachie Weller Luke Parker Rory Atkins
Half Forward - Dustin Martin Jack Darling Josh Caddy
Forwards - Steve Johnson Jack Riewoldt Tim Membrey

Bench - Sam Reid Lewis Taylor Anthony Miles Ryan Bastinac

Emergencies - Darcy Byrne-Jones Shaun Grigg Shane Edwards

Ruck Stocks - Toby Nankervis, Mabior Chol

Young Guns - Connor Blakley, Mitchell Hibberd, Dean Gore, Jaden McGrath, Nick O'Kearney, Jay Kennedy-Harris

Depth Players - Nic Newman, Kane Lambert, Mitchell Grigg, Nick Graham

State League targets - Hisham Kerbatieh

Candidates for pick 25 - Sam Powell-Pepper if he lasts which is highly unlikely. I like Hayward here but think he's a longshot. Realistically I think it will be the player left out of Rotham & Brennan Cox. Both would add something to my shaky defence.

Candidates for pick 27 - I'm just going to lock in Brandan Parfitt, he will be there and may even drift out to a pick in the third round but I'm backing my judgement.

Candidates for pick 57 - Joe Atley is a strong chance to be around and would be a bargain. Fisher, Guelfi, Lyons & Brayshaw would also come into contention.

Candidates for pick 80 - Kayle Kirby would be a good bet, Olango would also be someone I'd consider here. Romensky another who should slide.

PSD 6 - Bunker & Lachlan Murphy seem obtainable but will assess after the draft.

Rookie pick 6 - see above

Your ruck stocks look a little light on.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Rowdy said:
Your ruck stocks look a little light on.

This will be addressed with the next batch, I definitely need another project ruck in there, Olango being my primary target. Grundy & Nankervis should be enough barring some major catastrophe on the injury front. Brennan Cox can also ruck which would make him a very valuable component of the squad. I'm also eyeing off Xavier Richards as a potential depth player in the event that either Rance or Frost go down. With two first round picks next year I'll be focusing on the best KP prospects available.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Mitch Grigg delisted by Adelaide which opens up another selection, will add rookie pick 24 to the mix.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Jaden McGrath has retired, looks like injuries have taken their toll. Will add rookie pick 42.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Update- I wanted Matt Suckling last year.

Backs - Michael Hibberd Eric McKenzie Bachar Houli
Half Backs - Matt Suckling Alex Rance Shannon Hurn
Centre - Lachie Weller Luke Parker Dyson Heppell
Half Forward - Daniel Rioli Toby Nankervis Josh Caddy
Forwards - Jack Ziebell Jack Riewoldt Jeff Garlett

Bench - Rhys Mathieson Brandon Ellis Anthony Miles Dylan Grimes

Emergencies - Jayden Short, Shaun Grigg, Kane Lambert , Aaron Mullett,

Ruck Stocks - Ivan Maric, Marbior Chol

Young Guns - Connor Blakley, Dean Gore,

Depth Players - Jarrod Harbrow, Scott Selwood

State League targets - Hisham Kerbatieh, Ben Cavara

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
SCOOP said:
Yep I didn't take him so I get the one pick.

This is all a bit Back to the Future. I hope our players don't start to fade away, actually a couple of them can ;D

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
tigersnake said:
This is all a bit Back to the Future. I hope our players don't start to fade away, actually a couple of them can ;D
If it were Back to the Future, some would fade away.

All due respect to Bully and Scoop, but you're dreaming if you think you could have put those teams together.

First off, there's the ripple effect, which I understand is impossible to gauge in a hypothetical exercise such as this, but here's one hypothetical example: Bully drafts Darling with pick 6 in 2010, so who does West Coast take at 27? Maybe they take Parker, you can't know unless you ask their recruiters. If you take Weller at 12, maybe Freo takes Blakely at 13, or they take someone like Laverde and Essendon takes Blakely.

Then there's the likelihood that with different lists teams finish in different positions and you don't get a shot at one of your guys. If Richmond has Ziebell and Hurn in 2009, maybe we don't get pick 3 and Dusty, or Heppell the next year.

And of course, with the star-studded line-ups you have, how are you bringing in Suckling and Caddy on 500k each, and Prestia on 750? And why would you get rid of Lids when you have a team that strong?

I'm not having a go, I understand it's just an exercise, but the odds of you being able to put those teams together are minuscule, if not impossible.

Now, where's my hoverboard?

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
spook said:
If it were Back to the Future, some would fade away.

All due respect to Bully and Scoop, but you're dreaming if you think you could have put those teams together.

First off, there's the ripple effect, which I understand is impossible to gauge in a hypothetical exercise such as this, but here's one hypothetical example: Bully drafts Darling with pick 6 in 2010, so who does West Coast take at 27? Maybe they take Parker, you can't know unless you ask their recruiters. If you take Weller at 12, maybe Freo takes Blakely at 13, or they take someone like Laverde and Essendon takes Blakely.

Then there's the likelihood that with different lists teams finish in different positions and you don't get a shot at one of your guys. If Richmond has Ziebell and Hurn in 2009, maybe we don't get pick 3 and Dusty, or Heppell the next year.

And of course, with the star-studded line-ups you have, how are you bringing in Suckling and Caddy on 500k each, and Prestia on 750? And why would you get rid of Lids when you have a team that strong?

I'm not having a go, I understand it's just an exercise, but the odds of you being able to put those teams together are minuscule, if not impossible.

Now, where's my hoverboard?

All valid points, but this was initially done to highlight Richmond's poor recruiting over the past 5 years or so. The salary cap is definitely the main issue, the hypothetical draft positioning with a stronger squad less so. Darling went at 27, we could have stitched him up even if we won the premiership, ditto Lewis Taylor & Grundy. Hibberd went at pick 33, Membrey at 46, Johnson was a virtual freebie, Frost was one of the last players picked in the rookie draft, Atkins the last player picked in the ND.

Weller was selected after making the finals, perhaps we finish higher and miss out but then there's Lever who was my second choice. Again this is all hypothetical, hard to say what may have eventuated, but most of my picks weren't marginal selections, they wound up going much later in the order. The Rance & Martin selections occured when we were bottoming out and with the exception of Riewoldt & Cotchin they pretty much mark the start of the rebuild.

As for the Deledio question, for what we received in return and the fact that Steve Johnson can play his role, it was a no-brainer. Looking at my squad, it's not as strong once you factor in some injuries to key position players. The same goes for Scoop's side, however this team was basically picked based on Richmond's squad, something which has been devoid of quality midfielders. There's an imbalance with talls and I'm a couple of injuries away from disaster.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Shai Bolton & Josh Rotham locked in at 29 & 30, ranked at 18 & 15 so exceedingly happy to grab these guys here.

Pick 56 Jack Graham, ranked at 40 so another solid pick.

Pick 76, desperately need some defensive back-up so happy to grab Garthwaite.

Now for the rookie draft, some exceptional talent still left on the board and with 4 picks available -

PSD 6 - Sam Walker (absolutely non-negotiable, if not drafted I'm losing my marbles :spin)

Rookie draft - Zach Sproule, Jye Bolton, Tony Olango, Matt Guelfi, Luke Bunker, Brodie Romensky, Hamish Brayshaw, Kym Lebois, Peter Ladhams, Jamie Hampton (any 3 will do but need to take 1 ruck)

Bumper crop this year, still amazed at the depth.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
bullus_hit said:
Shai Bolton & Josh Rotham locked in at 29 & 30, ranked at 18 & 15 so exceedingly happy to grab these guys here.

Pick 56 Jack Graham, ranked at 40 so another solid pick.

Pick 76, desperately need some defensive back-up so happy to grab Garthwaite.

Now for the rookie draft, some exceptional talent still left on the board and with 4 picks available -

PSD 6 - Sam Walker (absolutely non-negotiable, if not drafted I'm losing my marbles :spin)

Dont we only have 2 selections in the rookie draft ? Dont believe we have a PSD selection

Which player would be the big bodied inside mid that you would prefer also a tall foward

On a side note Im extremely happy for Darcey Cameron, Have wanted us to take him for 3 years but wasnt meant to be but happy to see him finally get a go with the swans.

Rookie draft - Zach Sproule, Jye Bolton, Tony Olango, Matt Guelfi, Luke Bunker, Brodie Romensky, Hamish Brayshaw, Kym Lebois, Peter Ladhams, Jamie Hampton (any 3 will do but need to take 1 ruck)

Bumper crop this year, still amazed at the depth.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
This is just based on my own squad, had a big cull with these guys moving on - Deledio, Vickery, Maric, Mitch Clark, Marcon, Greg Clark, Reece McKenzie, McKernan, Mitch Grigg & Jaden McGrath.

Surprised about Cameron as I never expected him to get his fitness up to AFL standard but it looks like the Swans have taken the punt. With the loss of both the Richards brothers & Nankervis it makes sense.

As for the mids, I wouldn't be upset with Bolton, keeps the wheels turning in the event he doesn't cut it next year. This is where state league guys are preferable, there's no need for excessive development time.

Something like this would be good -

PSD - Sam Walker

Rookie 6 - Zach Sproule

Rookie 24 - Tony Olango

Rookie 42 - Jye Bolton

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
bullus_hit said:
This is just based on my own squad, had a big cull with these guys moving on - Deledio, Vickery, Maric, Mitch Clark, Marcon, Greg Clark, Reece McKenzie, McKernan, Mitch Grigg & Jaden McGrath.

Surprised about Cameron as I never expected him to get his fitness up to AFL standard but it looks like the Swans have taken the punt. With the loss of both the Richards brothers & Nankervis it makes sense.

As for the mids, I wouldn't be upset with Bolton, keeps the wheels turning in the event he doesn't cut it next year. This is where state league guys are preferable, there's no need for excessive development time.

Something like this would be good -

Which of the 2 would you rate or want from Brayshaw/Scharenberg , Im kind of hoping that Hamish Brayshaw makes his way to Tigerland as a Rookie

He seems the hardworking type that will come through if selected as a rookie

PSD - Sam Walker

Rookie 6 - Zach Sproule

Rookie 24 - Tony Olango

Rookie 42 - Jye Bolton

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Jonty got punished due some very average running results, I think he'll get a rookie spot but with Graham in the side I would be looking for something a bit different. Brayshaw is more a Ballantyne type player, it's probably not a pressing need with Bolton in the side but more so than a slow & unfit midfielder like Scharenberg. Hampton would be a nice pick this late, could see him in Yarran's role.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Well Sam Walker didn't get drafted so I am losing my marbles. Sometimes this happens as was the case with Hisham Kerbatieh last year. Looking at Kerbateh's form he outperformed many of his peers that made it onto an AFL list. I was expecting him to be drafted by the Blues but it wasn't to be.

For the purpose of this exercise I'll grab the two I really liked in LeBois & Ladhams, redraft McKernan as a rookie and leave one spot vacant on the rookie list.