2017 Under 18 Champs | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2017 Under 18 Champs

Rowdy

11 + 2018 = 12!
Jul 15, 2009
SCOOP said:
Mid who has won ball at TAC level, has kicked 3 as forward in a big game and is a nightmare 1 on 1. Lock it in.

Patrick Cripps ran a 13.2, pretty sure Dusty ran only a high 13 and Danger was a low 13 high 12 from memory.

Rayner is at 11sih, it’s the one thing you can build a tank.

Trade our 2 1st rounders for a better pick, draft Rayner with it and use the 3rd for father son Naish?

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
bullus_hit said:
Eddie Betts ran an 11 but isn't an onballer. That's what you'd be banking on as far as an outcome is concerned. I have a pretty firm rule about top 5 picks and poor runners. It's a pretty simple philosophy with very few exceptions. It's the main reason I gave a firm no to Scrimshaw.

If you are a pure mid, yes it would be a concern. But as someone who splits time between mid and forward it’s not major. Chad Winged ran a 11.5 from memory.

E

easy_tiger

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
We get a 20% discount on points but we must use points from our next pick. So we need him to drop outside our first rounders, and have enough points in hand with 3rd/4th round picks. (We may need to gain a pick here through a trade.)

ta

hard to see him dropping too far

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
We get a 20% discount on points but we must use points from our next pick. So we need him to drop outside our first rounders, and have enough points in hand with 3rd/4th round picks. (We may need to gain a pick here through a trade.)
Don't forget we're also allowed to go into points deficit in taking a F/S selection. If Naishy goes outside our first rounders this year n we don't have enough points value left for him, we just trim a few points off the value of our first selection at next years draft.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
So how did the young Sutherland kid go? Was there anything to get excited about or was he a tad overwhelmed by playing a carnival game instead of his usual school footy?

Broders

Tiger Superstar
Jul 29, 2012
TigerMasochist said:
Don't forget we're also allowed to go into points deficit in taking a F/S selection. If Naishy goes outside our first rounders this year n we don't have enough points value left for him, we just trim a few points off the value of our first selection at next years draft.

I understand that but given next years draft is meant to be sensational I don't think that's the way to go TM.

Kaelan

Tiger Superstar
Aug 7, 2004
Perth
Off to Leederville to watch allies and wa . Perfect day for footy so if the talls are any good they should be able to duke a few. To those who follow it more closely any prospects l should keep a watch on ?

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Broders said:
I understand that but given next years draft is meant to be sensational I don't think that's the way to go TM.
Get what you want or need when it's available rather than always hoping next year will fix the problems. There always seems to be a future super draft looms at just the wrong time for us to take advantage.

It could be that we're required to use both first picks this year just to cover Naishy plus a KPP type, depending on when other clubs might nominate him. We could also get away with using our first two picks on the best we can find in this years draft then have to fudge a few points to get Naishy as well. Does it really matter if the recruiters identify that this is what we want and need?

Next years draft is next year, some presumed star talent may fade or get injured before then. If necessary there's always the option of trading to improve draft position next year or even this year.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
SCOOP said:
If you are a pure mid, yes it would be a concern. But as someone who splits time between mid and forward it’s not major. Chad Winged ran a 11.5 and from memory.

Wingard was a success but there's others like Lennon, Ah Chee, Pickett & Menzel who have been busts given their draft position. In a draft as solid as this one I'd be playing it safe with any top ten pick. If Rayner was available with a pick in the teens and the talls were off the board then I'd give the green light. I think there was a lesson in all this when viewing the Collingwood versus Port game, Hine picked De Goey instead of Wright, the Magpies are now desperate for a tall forward. As the saying goes, if in doubt always grab the tall.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Rowdy said:
Trade our 2 1st rounders for a better pick, draft Rayner with it and use the 3rd for father son Naish?

If I was doing that, I’d take Cerra. He’s the package midfielder.

We still have to go tall at our picks, there will be some talent there. If Rayner was there I’d pounce.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
bullus_hit said:
Wingard was a success but there's others like Lennon, Ah Chee, Pickett & Menzel who have been busts given their draft position. In a draft as solid as this one I'd be playing it safe with any top ten pick. If Rayner was available with a pick in the teens and the talls were off the board then I'd give the green light. I think there was a lesson in all this when viewing the Collingwood versus Port game, Hine picked De Goey instead of Wright, the Magpies are now desperate for a tall forward. As the saying goes, if in doubt always grab the tall.
same with us as well, ppl talk about us taking Conca instead of Heppell but the real miss was T.Lynch who the Suns got. Lynch is exactly what we need in our side right now.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Jonesracing82 said:
same with us as well, ppl talk about us taking Conca instead of Heppell but the real miss was T.Lynch who the Suns got. Lynch is exactly what we need in our side right now.

Said as much at the time, just happened to pick the wrong tall in Darling. But the point has been a salient one for the last 20 years, Ottens vs Johnstone, Pavlich vs Fiora, Franklin vs Tambling, Josh Kennedy vs X.Ellis, Hurley vs Hartlett. The one thing these decisions have in common is that the bust has come in the form of a quasi midfielder who may have been eye-catching but didn't tick all the necessary boxes. I'm certainly not writing off Rayner, I like him a lot but I wouldn't be taking any chances with a premium pick.

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
Naish going before pick 15 is no chance whats so ever, none,A SMALL mid will not be picked early unless hes showing freakish ability to most recruiters,relax,no chance of going before 15,if he was exactly the same but ,a beast in size, then top 10 a strong chance,smallish mids get over looked a lot,enjoy the wait.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
jokershoppe said:
Naish going before pick 15 is no chance whats so ever, none,A SMALL mid will not be picked early unless hes showing freakish ability to most recruiters,relax,no chance of going before 15,if he was exactly the same but ,a beast in size, then top 10 a strong chance,smallish mids get over looked a lot,enjoy the wait.

Darcy Parish & Ben Ainsworth say hello.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
TigerMasochist said:
So how did the young Sutherland kid go? Was there anything to get excited about or was he a tad overwhelmed by playing a carnival game instead of his usual school footy?

Showed some good traits but you'd be hard pressed to call out his name in the top dozen. Probably a chance for the first round but will need at least one big bag and some strong contested marks. Looked good below the knees so there's something to work with. Best big man on the ground was Clavarino followed by Sam Hayes, both these guys should feature in the first round.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
bullus_hit said:
Showed some good traits but you'd be hard pressed to call out his name in the top dozen. Probably a chance for the first round but will need at least one big bag and some strong contested marks. Looked good below the knees so there's something to work with. Best big man on the ground was Clavarino followed by Sam Hayes, both these guys should feature in the first round.
So, if he picks footy over cricket, unlikely to go early first round unless he barnstorms some games but wouldn't be a massive stretch as a late first rounder?
If his talent is reasonably towards high coming from limited footy because of his cricket involvement he might be an excellent latish first rounder.

Just from my p.o.v. it's not necessarily a major issue that he's playing school footy and not TAC. He's been in elite programs with cricket, captaining an Aust under 19 side in international games. If he decides to play AFL there's going to be three to four years development n minor roles before he's physically mature enough to genuinely start making his mark in the game. But he's more than likely well advanced on most of the other kids as to professional training programs n leadership roles.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
TigerMasochist said:
So, if he picks footy over cricket, unlikely to go early first round unless he barnstorms some games but wouldn't be a massive stretch as a late first rounder?
If his talent is reasonably towards high coming from limited footy because of his cricket involvement he might be an excellent latish first rounder.

Just from my p.o.v. it's not necessarily a major issue that he's playing school footy and not TAC. He's been in elite programs with cricket, captaining an Aust under 19 side in international games. If he decides to play AFL there's going to be three to four years development n minor roles before he's physically mature enough to genuinely start making his mark in the game. But he's more than likely well advanced on most of the other kids as to professional training programs n leadership roles.

We currently have two first round picks, presumably in the 12-18 bracket. Using one on Sutherland wouldn't be a bad move, compared to say Todd Marshall I'd say he's slightly behind on development but like you say, he's coming from a very professional background. Hopefully we get to see a few more glimpses, even just some high leaping and pack splitting would be encouraging. I think going from school footy to state juniors is significant so one can't be too critical with his first run.

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
SCOOP said:
Darcy Parish & Ben Ainsworth say hello.

no, darcy parish is from south barwon, and i seen him play heaps, was always going around top 5-6,similar but was getting considerably more ball,young naish in this draft wont go top 15, no chance at all.